• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How often do you wash the car?

So I'm finding a love/hate relationship with washing and detailing my NSX lol. It's nearly flawless whenever I'm done, but quick rides for coffee, around town etc. get it pretty dusty. I use a quick detailer after most rides, but am starting to think I'm overdoing it because of the time it takes...especially since I drive every day.

I know this is a personal preference/opinion question, but am I being excessive? For those who drive it often do you leave the car a little dusty/dirty from time-to-time?

I usually get mine hand washed once a week; sometimes more. My car is black and so the dust that accumulates by the rear bumber and tailights is pretty visible to me. After each drive i'll wipe the car down and park it in my garage and I have a car cover i got from Science of Speed that I cover it with. In LA we haven't had much rain at all and if it does rain I don't take the car out until the roads are completely dry. However, sprinklers sometimes leave puddles or small water streams in places and I go over those very slowly to try to avoid water splashing up on the car. I do try pretty hard to keep my car looking clean but sometimes it's tough to do do - especially with a black car. If its too dirty I don't put the car cover back on it and wait until after I've had a chance to get it washed again.

I usually get mine hand washed once a week; sometimes more. My car is black and so the dust that accumulates by the rear bumber and tailights is pretty visible to me. After each drive i'll wipe the car down and park it in my garage and I have a car cover i got from Science of Speed that I cover it with. In LA we haven't had much rain at all and if it does rain I don't take the car out until the roads are completely dry. However, sprinklers sometimes leave puddles or small water streams in places and I go over those very slowly to try to avoid water splashing up on the car. I do try pretty hard to keep my car looking clean but sometimes it's tough to do do - especially with a black car. If its too dirty I don't put the car cover back on it and wait until after I've had a chance to get it washed again.

Appreciate the response. Sounds like you are doing what I am basically doing (except I won't use my cover until it's stored for winter?

I'm just finding that all this cleaning is taking hour upon hours of time each week. But maybe that's the price we pay for being OCD meticulous :biggrin:

I have "washed" my car a total of 3 times in four years, that is taking a hose to it.

I have a friend who freaks out at using hard water for car washing because of spotting.

I don't consider it a "complete" wash, but I do go over the car with a spray bottle of R/O and a micro fibre cloth.

Having it ceramic coated really makes cleaning a breeze.

It does take an hour and a half for the car wash I use to wash my car. The same guy does all my cars. He opens the front hood and rear deck lid and cleans everything inside and out. My car has been ceramic coated and that does help. I'll try to coordinate dropping off the car with doing something else like getting lunch or breakfast but it is a time consuming activity. My car cover is a satin indoor style cover and is very easy to put on and take off. That does help keep the car clean when I am not using it.

And I have 6 cars to keep clean. So if I have a day off I'll try to get 3 cars done in 1 day if possible. My NSX and Lexus LC 500 convertible get cleaned roughly once a week. My Lexus RCF about once every 10 days - it's white and stays clean looking for longer. My Tacoma truck, GMC Syclone and Lexus RX450H get cleaned about once every 2 weeks. My GF's Lexus NX about once a month - she's not as fanatical as I am.

Last edited:
I went with PPF on the front on my cars with ceramic coating over all of it. I even ceramic coated our truck and minivan. It seems to keep things cleaner longer and makes the cleaning process easier. I probably wash the regular driving cars once a month, going touchless as much as possible. You can get ceramic coatings for wheels and even external rubber/vinyl trim that I have really liked so far.

If our type S Valencia red order goes through, I think I will PPF the entire car.

All of my friends consider me obsessive about car detailing, but I have no problem going a week or two (or four) between washes on my NSX. It doesn't have to be showroom-clean every time I take it out--it's a daily driver, for crying out loud.

When I do clean it, it's about a 2-3 hour process, which I simply choose not to do every weekend.

With my spray bottle and micro fiber cloth it takes me 1 hour tops.

Inside not included nor is the time spent "inspecting (LOL)" my work, probably another hour.

So I'm finding a love/hate relationship with washing and detailing my NSX lol. It's nearly flawless whenever I'm done, but quick rides for coffee, around town etc. get it pretty dusty. I use a quick detailer after most rides, but am starting to think I'm overdoing it because of the time it takes...especially since I drive every day.

I know this is a personal preference/opinion question, but am I being excessive? For those who drive it often do you leave the car a little dusty/dirty from time-to-time?

Have you been to/followed/shopped from Esoteric Car Care (New Albany) seeing that you are in Ohio?

I have and now it takes me at least 3 hours presoaking, power washing, adding wheel cleaning agents, and finally giving a light scrub (2 bucket method). I dry with a blower to limit the amount of contact with the paint, then finish with sealant that usually takes the last of any water. Cleaning windows I think is probably the hardest part of all depending on the vehicle.

I went with PPF on the front on my cars with ceramic coating over all of it. I even ceramic coated our truck and minivan. It seems to keep things cleaner longer and makes the cleaning process easier. I probably wash the regular driving cars once a month, going touchless as much as possible. You can get ceramic coatings for wheels and even external rubber/vinyl trim that I have really liked so far.

If our type S Valencia red order goes through, I think I will PPF the entire car.

I have full PPF now, but have wondered if ceramic coating it as well is worth it? The shop I go to quoted me $800 for a 5? year coating.

Only had the car for a month now and I've been averaging once a week. I am still waiting for the paint to cure (out gas) and can't wait to apply wax/sealant in about a month which should facilitate future wash since I often use ONR (rinseless) if the car isn't too dirty. I noticed quite a bit of brake dust as well (iron).

I have full PPF now, but have wondered if ceramic coating it as well is worth it? The shop I go to quoted me $800 for a 5? year coating.

If you have new, high quality PPF with good hydrophobic properties I would not add ceramic coat over that. Just maybe consider replacing it when it gets ratty and worn out. I went over my GT350 PPF (which is very new and high quality) with 2-3 layers of ceramic coat and it seemed pointless in adding extra protection, improved appearance, or easing cleaning. My 458 has older PPF on it that is starting to show it's age. I like to think that adding ceramic coat over this may have made it easier to clean but that is marginal at best. Im using Miyabi, which I think is high quality coating. I wont be doing this again, just gonna stick to PPF.

Oh and question the 5 year thing although it depends on how much you drive it. My pickup is outside 24/7 and drives in the snow. I applied ceramic coat last summer. It still stays clean longer, is easier to clean, and seriously looks better, but it is not the same as a year ago. Essentially, I never have to wax it. I expect to redo the coating next year (takes several hours). Im sure your NSX is getting far better treatment than this truck though, but if you are driving it a fair amount, I wouldn't count on 5 years.

I only rinse my car on a weekly basis and use detailer in between. I use a deionized water source that does not spot. I have also ceramic coated the car and that helps. I will sometimes use a detailer that has some ceramic material mixed in. After cleaning the car I put the cover on it in the garage to keep the dust off. As noted every time I drive it the rear bumper has dust all over. I use a California dust mop over the whole car before it goes into the garage. My black Volvo gets washed weekly at the car wash and dusted after every drive.

If you have new, high quality PPF with good hydrophobic properties I would not add ceramic coat over that. Just maybe consider replacing it when it gets ratty and worn out. I went over my GT350 PPF (which is very new and high quality) with 2-3 layers of ceramic coat and it seemed pointless in adding extra protection, improved appearance, or easing cleaning. My 458 has older PPF on it that is starting to show it's age. I like to think that adding ceramic coat over this may have made it easier to clean but that is marginal at best. Im using Miyabi, which I think is high quality coating. I wont be doing this again, just gonna stick to PPF.

Oh and question the 5 year thing although it depends on how much you drive it. My pickup is outside 24/7 and drives in the snow. I applied ceramic coat last summer. It still stays clean longer, is easier to clean, and seriously looks better, but it is not the same as a year ago. Essentially, I never have to wax it. I expect to redo the coating next year (takes several hours). Im sure your NSX is getting far better treatment than this truck though, but if you are driving it a fair amount, I wouldn't count on 5 years.

I think this makes sense and I'll pass on the coating...plus the PPF on the inside wheel fenders is getting a bit beat up. I may just use the money I saved on the ceramic coating to have the PPF reapplied.

Also, not sure if anyone has feedback on it, but I recently started using Epic Cr2 ceramic spray after washing it.

Full on wash with a hose and everything… it’s been a while. Way over a year.

Full PPF so lots of Meguiar’s Ultimate Quik Detailer and their Ultimate Quik Wax. Lots of good fluffy microfiber towels too, think Chemical Guys from Amazon.

Looks great.

ceramics can and should be applied over the ppf. Expel has its own line that certified vendors will use.

Fifteen years ago my buddies and I were getting into detailing our cars (Porsche's) and it became a competition. We located the supplier the pro detailers went to for their waxes, polishes and chemicals. We bought enough product that the owner invited us to detailing classes that Meguiars gave to the detailers and how to best use Meguiars products. Not a lot of choices back then like today. Now you can find Youtube video's that cover the same topics, but it's not hands on. We learned to use a buffer with a wool pad, how to color sand imperfections and most of all how not to damage the paint and wheels using the more aggressive chemicals. This was when Meguiars had two lines of products. The maroon containers sold in Pep boys and retail was the idiot proof stuff that wouldn't damage the paint. Then the beige bottles was the pro line and it worked magic. This was before Meguiars sold to 3M.

The problem now is how much time should I devote to cleaning my car. I pretty much know every short cut to get the best result but there is no way I can spend less that 3 hours after a track day. The average wash is going to be an hour the most time being on the wheels. The NSX gen 2 develops a lot of brake dust on the lower side skirts and rear bumper cover. Brake dust is metallic particles and with other dust stick to the car even if you have ceramic coating. That stuff needs to be removed using car wash soap and water from the finish. Two bucket method. To test the wash run your fingers over the finish to feel the if there are any bonded contaminants on the finish. There will be and that when you can use detailing clay and a lubricant. Just saying.
Jimmy aka sled driver.

Mine has enough wax on it to where I just run it through a "good" brushless car wash and then wipe it down with some sort of quickwax/detailer with a soft microfiber towel... good as new. I just dont make the time like I use to. I have a black car so there's really no point washing it THAT well. Once in a while I will do a thorough wash by hand, but that might be like once a year.

I have nothing to offer other than the personal experience under cross examination of the couple who wrapped one of my other vehicles.If you personally have found no difference with ppf+ceramic vs ppf alone than I would consider that a data point.

I do wash my cars often but the two that are ceramic coated makes washing super easy. Bug guts wash off easy etc. it did cost me $1500 for “Kenzo” package by IGL. Supposed to last 4-5 years according to detailer who did the work. And it repels really good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any heard of or use a Kozak cloth? Someone was just recommending them to me.

I have not, but it seems to be a cotton towel infused with some proprietary goop..now since this has been around for ever I assume the goop is likely paraffin....since its for a car and cars get waxed..just like the Cali duster...give it a try...

I have not, but it seems to be a cotton towel infused with some proprietary goop..now since this has been around for ever I assume the goop is likely paraffin....since its for a car and cars get waxed..just like the Cali duster...give it a try...

The person who recommended it to me works at a high-end dealership and said the goop pretty much allows you to wipe the car down, then you just snap/shake the cloth and all the dirt and grime just falls off and it's good-as-new and ready to reuse...I dunno if that's true or not but figure I'll give it a try.

Back