• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How should we wash a NSX??

Not a real good idea. Most of those gas station car washes are pretty rough on cars. As for the "touch-less" ones, they're still only employ high pressure nozzles, and they don't always get dirt off. At the very least, they often have metal tire guides that often scuff up wheels. I imagine they'd eat up NSX wheels pretty bad.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey

Automatic car washes are the DEVIL!
smile.gif

Honestly, always wash your NSX by hand - I use Maguire's gold wash. Use cool/cold water, and a clean wool washmit or even a nice sheepskin washmit - always wash in the direction that the wind hits the car and it will cut down on swirl marks.

I use natural degreaser for the tires and rims - get a plastic brush for the tires, and a netted sponge for the rims. Works like a champ.

I wash my NSX every 2 weeks at the least, and wax it every 2-4 weeks. I use Blitz Wax on it - lasts a long time and has a nice shine.

On the Interior, I use Vinylex, and on the Leather I use Lexol.

I've been detailing sports cars for around 5 years now, so I've developed particular tastes for specific products - I'm happy with the results from the above
smile.gif

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

I agree with David auto car washes are the devil!

Also the NSX stock is quite low and may not clear the metal guides. I know my lowered NSX couldn't for sure. Plus if you want a finish that will look good for years and years your better off washing it by hand. Takes a little time but its worth it in the long run.

If you get Meguiars Quik Detailer you can prolong washing your car, if it just gets dusty. Mine is only driving on perfect days. If its sunny but windy I still wont' drive it. Some times I get little bug splats, and finger prints which quik detailer will take that stuff right off. Great when you just have to clean a small area, and not the whole car.

The advice from David and from Purevil on HOW to wash the car is very good advice indeed. I use some other products and get outstanding results from them.

To wash the car, I sometimes use Zymol Clear and sometimes Meguiar's Gold Class. The Meguiar's sudses more but the Zymol is just as effective at cleaning. The Meguiar's is inexpensive, particularly in the large bottle (see http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001505.html ).

With a good wax, you shouldn't need to wax it more than every 3 months or more. I use Zymol wax (the good stuff from Connecticut, not the crummy stuff from Chicago that you see in some stores), although there are other good waxes out there. 3M wax won a recent comparison test in NSX Driver.

Before waxing the first time - and again maybe once a year - you should use a cleaner/polish like Zymol HD-Cleanse or Meguiar's Swirl Remover to remove oxidation and hairline scratches.

For the interior, I've found that Zymol Vinyl is heads and shoulders above anything else for the vinyl surfaces (including the dash and all the interior parts that look like leather but aren't), and leaves a nice, subtle satin sheen. I'm equally impressed with Zymol Treat for the portions that really ARE leather.

There are lots of good products out there, available from the top brands (e.g. Zymol, 3M, Meguiar's, Zymol). Some people start p***ing contests over whose is the best but the fact is that you can get excellent results from any of these lines of products. Take care of your car and it will look great for years to come.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 30 May 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxme:
is it okay to use the car washes at gas stations?

or is there a specific way to wash a Nsx??

I think you were asking about a do-it-yourself car wash. If so, don't use it for two reasons. The high pressure water is not good for the paint. In addition, the soap is too strong.

I agree that you should wash your car by hand using a mild soap like Zymol Clear, Zip Wax Car Wash, Armoral Car Wash, etc. Don't use laundry detergent or dish washer soap, they'll take the wax off.

The most important thing to remember is to thoroughly wet your car first. Then wash your car with lots of bubbles. The bubbles are the secret to washing your car without scratching it. Although I hate to admit it, this finding is the result of 40 years of experience caring for all kinds of cars.

If you MUST have someone else wash your car, at least make sure it is a handwash. There have been a number of occasions where I had to do this. Many car washes have this. At the least, they are washing it by hand, outside, and in front of me. They may not do a great job, but at least it will not be going through a machine.

I would never take my NSX through a drive-in wash place.

I've do use those do-it-yourself washes but only to rinse and spray water. Some of these places are finnicky about bucket washing though. One thing to keep in mind is that these places recycle their water and on occasion the re-used water has a bad musty odor. I wouldn't under any circumstances use their brushes or soap.

I've been very pleased with the Zaino lineup of car care products. They have a really excellent car wash product called Z-7.
http://www.zainobros.com/

No matter what wax or polish you use - you might want to give it a try. A good number of my Vette buddies, who will always use Meguires no matter what, are confirmed Zaino Z-7 car wash users.

You can get it via mail order or from a local dealer. Just give Zaino a call and find the dealer (very often a dedicated car owner) nearest you.

As mentioned, everyone has their own preferences and I prefer the Zaino products for my cars.

Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for a 76-79 Honda Accord

Back