• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to accelerate quickly-gas pedal question

I'm not a super technical person when it comes to cars/NSX but have a quick question regarding the best way to accelerate (I'm thinking when already in motion... as I think in launch mode you want the pedal to the floor?)...

Is it better to fully 'slam down' the gas pedal to accelerate?...or is it better to just press the pedal down with a consistent gradual motion? The reason I ask is, it seems like when you slam on the gas pedal, there is a good 1-2 second lag before the car really takes off in full force. Apologies if this is a really dumb question!

Last edited:
Sport +. If I hammer on the gas, there is a second or so before the engine fully kicks in. It's by no means instant.

As noted, in track mode if you use launch control you will get the fastest 0 to 60 mph times. The take off is pretty quick with little/no lag. That is why the NSX can get the jump on cars with a lot more hp. I have not tried my car in launch mode. Most of my spirited driving is in Sport +. I do not experience much of a lag say from a dead stop. The car is so fast, that I don’t often take off by flooring it. Our cars use drive by wire so there is no direct linkage to the throttle.

The sprint booster does nothing in terms of making the car faster or making more power. It amplifies the input. Same thing as pushing on the pedal faster. I would not use it as it makes the car more sensitive to input. I find my car is already touchy in the sense that it is sometimes difficult to lightly touch the pedal and move the car slowly if that makes sense. I do not believe there are any adjustments that can be made.

if you are finding that there is a lag of a second or two, I would have the dealer check it out. Or try driving another car to compare.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am covering your question but here we go.

When driving, get on the gas some and you will notice that the car understands you are interested in spirited driving.

The revs will stay up when you let off the gas. When this is happening, you will have then experience phenomenal throttle response.

Sport +. If I hammer on the gas, there is a second or so before the engine fully kicks in. It's by no means instant.

I have exactly the same experience - one of very few 'issues' of my car. I've tried another NC1 (at the sales shop in Germany) which behaved exactly the same. I'm typically using Sport or Sport+ on the road. (I'm typically only using Track mode on the track :- )

It's when you are in motion, perhaps being stuck in slow-moving traffic for a long time and then suddenly a gap appears - if you hammer the gas, it takes a very long second before it responds, and then it responds with full power - very abruptly.

@BnB, you are completely correct, you can tell the car to be ready by getting on the gas - but in this scenario there are no possibility to tell the car because you don't see the gap until it emerges.

My advise is to floor it somewhat more slowly - it may take longer time all-in-all, but you don't get that abrupt acceleration that disturbs the flow.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same experience - one of very few 'issues' of my car. I've tried another NC1 (at the sales shop in Germany) which behaved exactly the same. I'm typically using Sport or Sport+ on the road. (I'm typically only using Track mode on the track :- )

It's when you are in motion, perhaps being stuck in slow-moving traffic for a long time and then suddenly a gap appears - if you hammer the gas, it takes a very long second before it responds, and then it responds with full power - very abruptly.

@BnB, you are completely correct, you can tell the car to be ready by getting on the gas - but in this scenario there are no possibility to tell the car because you don't see the gap until it emerges.

My advise is to floor it somewhat more slowly - it may take longer time all-in-all, but you don't get that abrupt acceleration that disturbs the flow.

Exactly! It's only when the car is in motion. As you said, if there's a gap in traffic and I floor it (while in motion) there is a noticeable lag...but once the engine kicks in, it takes off like a rocket! My guess is, it's normal.

Exactly! It's only when the car is in motion. As you said, if there's a gap in traffic and I floor it (while in motion) there is a noticeable lag...but once the engine kicks in, it takes off like a rocket! My guess is, it's normal.

Same here. It down shifts, gets the rev up, then all of a sudden, it goes. almost feels like someone rear ended you....

Back