• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to attach GruppeM/V3 exhaust to '02 NA2/OBDII motor?

Has anyone fitted a GruppeM V3 exhaust to a OBDII NSX? I’d like the advertised high pitched “shriek” of the GruppeM (exhaust and CF intake) for my 2002 Type-R project, but am not looking to be the R&D guinea pig on this. Is it a big deal, for those who’ve actually done it? Did the exhaust fit in the ‘02 rear valence (photos??), how about the CF intake? Finally, how did you reattach the two removed sensors (GruppeM forces removal of cats) so that the CPU didn’t throw error codes?

Two ways...

Not sure is possible being that the car will be in limp mode with out proper readings from the secondary 02 sensors.

You could either (1) do some significant fabrication to create a new Y pipe or (2) install SOS headers from 1991-1994.

If you were considering headers anyway, no. 2 may be reasonable

Regards,
-- Chris

#1 is out since I don't wan't any R&D headaches. How specifically would #2 work? I was going to get headers anyway, and would buy SOS if that solves my sensor headache. How does 91-94 work on my car?? What about the diff in valence?

serialNSXer said:
#1 is out since I don't wan't any R&D headaches. How specifically would #2 work? I was going to get headers anyway, and would buy SOS if that solves my sensor headache. How does 91-94 work on my car?? What about the diff in valence?

The GM V3 exhaust will bolt directly to the headers. The exterior of the block back is no different from the early car. Your only concern is the secondary 02 sensors. With out the cats in place, they will put out a check engine light.

As far as the valence goes, I am unsure if the tips will clear the 02 valence. Just from comparing the two on different cars, I would guess they would, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Regards,
-- Chris

I can't see the headers eliminating the cats, it must be the V exhaust that does.

Chris@SoS said:
Your only concern is the secondary 02 sensors. With out the cats in place, they will put out a check engine light.
Is there a solution to re-install the O2 sensors in either pipe, or an added pipe?

Correct, the exhaust mounts to the flange on the headers. The ScienceofSpeed headers are designed to attach to the factory cats.

Anil -- Unfortunately, that's not the problem. The problem is the reading on the secondary cat will show the cat "not working" with it removed which will then cause the CEL.

Regards,
-- Chris

That unique sound comes from blending the exhaust pulses, 2 into 1 into 2. When you remove the cats you also get much more sound volume. I did not want to remove my cats so I came up with this.
This was a prototype and I was learning how to weld stainless, so no quality comments. :redface:
I could have gone with smaller canisters because the cats take so much sound away, but the crossover gives it that higher pitch. I describe it as a super bike that has gone through puberty.
I ran it without the cats for a while and it was much too loud and raspy. You need a bigger canister if going with out the cats.

Back