• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to avoid paying double sales tax on a car

I've received a deposit for the sale of my NSX. I'm trying to get around paying the sales tax twice - once with my purchase from AHFC, and twice -when my buyer puchases from me. In effect, we will be paying sales tax twice in one day which I feel is not very smart.

AHFC won't facilitate a 3rd party buyout even though the website lists a 3rd party payoff address. :rolleyes: They referred me to local dealerships saying that they would conduct the transaction for me. But after calling, these dealerships (the same ones calling me asking to ground my leased car at their locations) want to charge me anywhere from $500 - $1000 to facilitate this. I expected some sort of doc/processing fee, but $1000 is just exorbitant.

I've got a friend who works at a local dealership who has offered to do it for $250 which I'll probably split with the buyer since I'm a nice guy. $250 is much more in line with what I was thinking.

Anyone else run into this problem? Ideas on how to navigate this situation on the up and up? I understand I could sell the car to him for a few bucks, to lower his tax bill, but I'm not going to do that.

Last edited:
We do this all the time at our dealership. We call it an "in and out". We charge a doc fee to each car.

We do this all the time at our dealership. We call it an "in and out". We charge a doc fee to each car.

You mind if I ask what your folks' doc fees are?

Back