• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to remove shift boot retainer clip

At the 12 and 6 o'clock position about an inch below the plastic chrome ring you will feel the tabs. Push them towards each other and the boot will slide down from the shift knob. Then you can unscrew the shift knob. Once you remove the entire console there are two screws on the underside that attach the boot to the console. It's a bit tricky the first time, after that you'll see how easy it is. You don't need to use much force.

Last edited:
At the 12 and 6 o'clock position about an inch below the plastic chrome ring you will feel the tabs. Push them towards each other and the boot will slide down from the shift knob. Then you can unscrew the shift knob. Once you remove the entire console there are two screws on the underside that attach the boot to the console. It's a bit tricky the first time, after that you'll see how easy it is. You don't need to use much force.

Thanks, I'll try it this morning. I've taken my center console out many times but this was before the shift boot retainer clip was installed.

Back