• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how to repair that frame damage?

I just bought this damaged NSX and I wonder how to bring back the frame in correct position. This NSX will get an all out race car and I am selling most of the parts I do not need for track. I have a friend who can do body repairs but has no experience with aluminium bodys. I have some guys who can do aluminium welding - thats not the problem. Any hints how the frame of the NSX can get streight again?

thanks

NSX.jpg__scaled_800.jpg

NSX%201.jpg__scaled_800.jpg

Yeah I will do that, but the shop has no experience with aluminium frame. Maybe I can get some infos here which I can tell them.

thanks

Yeah I will do that, but the shop has no experience with aluminium frame. Maybe I can get some infos here which I can tell them.

thanks

Have you ever tried to straighten out a crushed aluminium can? You can't. You probably need a new front clip.

thanks

This is like saying "My Dr's never done that kind of surgery.. maybe I cna go on a forum and teach him how.." :)

You gotta find a shop that can do the work - maybe go to Germany?

You have to cut the frame at the front firewall and weld in a new frame rail.
At a shop that would be a 25-40k repair.

Do you know that the frame is actually bent? Or are you just assuming that it is bent?

I would have a shop determine iif it is. It looks like the imptact was straight on the front of the car which may not have bent the main frame (bulkhead).

My car was in a front end accident which pretty much looked like yours ... and no frame damage at all. Everything else had to be replaced, wheel wells fenders, hood, radiator support upper / lower, condensers, housing, brackets, bumper etc. etc. not cheap by no means ... but my point was that I did get the frame cheked and it was straight.

All these meansurements can be pulled from the Body Manual if you can get one. I have this manual which also helped to make sure that all was in line when the new panels where installed.

You have to cut the frame at the front firewall and weld in a new frame rail.
At a shop that would be a 25-40k repair.

Agree and probably cost more than 40K if the frame is bent. You need to find a shop with aluminum experience with a jig to replace (not repair) the front end from the firewall forward. If you want factory integrity, there is no other option. There is no body shop out there would repair structural parts. The front end can be piecemealed or purchased as an assembly. Check out the service manual.

as far as the front end is concerned, you have to make sure the the two structural rails are straight. hopefully they are and if so, then you are in good shape. everything else around them (sheetmetal) should be cut-away and replaced. you cannot easily reshape bent sheet as aluminum 'work hardens' meaning it gets harder as it bends. thats why honda heat-treats the panels after they are formed. if you try to bend it back into shape most likely it will crack. find another crashed nsx and transfer the sheetmetal structure to your car or buy new replacement parts from honda.
good luck.

First thing is to get the actual NSX body repair manual. IF the frame is bent you cerainly CAN straighten it. I just skimmed the manual awhile back and it is OUTSTANDING and goes into great detail. With this manual any decent body man (with a frame rack if needed) can do it. They do address work hardening. At one time we all thought you needed a bod man specifically trained by Acura, that was baloney, this manual takes care of all. Getting them to read it, well that may be your challenge. I would read it myself and just tell them what to do.

I believe for a track car the best route would be for a fabricated tube frame.

Clip off the front and build it out.

First thing is to get the actual NSX body repair manual. IF the frame is bent you cerainly CAN straighten it. I just skimmed the manual awhile back and it is OUTSTANDING and goes into great detail. With this manual any decent body man (with a frame rack if needed) can do it. They do address work hardening. At one time we all thought you needed a bod man specifically trained by Acura, that was baloney, this manual takes care of all. Getting them to read it, well that may be your challenge. I would read it myself and just tell them what to do.

180px-Ohsfd.JPG

Another good read!

The best thing that you can do it its take all the parts engine suspension interior put the car in frame only.

The check from Honda Nsx dealer that give you the quote of frame then
if the frame quote are okey cut the fron parts and put the new one bulkhead

13sw00_b49.gif

But usualy if the alluminium frame its realy damage its almost impossible to comeback at original hardnees and meseaure

Just saw your post here at NSXPrime and the photos as well.
Go to NSXCB and find Dirk if you don't already know him. He has a huge supply of wrecked NSXs. He will be your best source for all the bits, front end "clip" to get the car sorted.
There is a "factory" manual devoted just for body work that you can order from HELM, I think, where I got my shop manusls that gives all the measurements and specs to replace the front end. DON'T mess around with trying to sort out the bent one, cut it off and install another. Best money spent in the long run. Any body shop with a frame rack can jig it up so your mate can attach the other one.

Cheers
nigel

Back