• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How will the '04-'05 effect resale

I was wondering if the release of the "new style" NSX would effect the resale of the older cars in a negative or positive way.

On one hand, the press and hipe of the new car may draw a lot of attention to the old style, and draw a few more buyers than were looking before the release. The expected price increase of the V8 powered NSX may force those on the fence of a new verses old to fall on the old side. I don't know, what do you guys think?

I think there are too many other factors, especially the fact that their introduction is some three years away, to come up with anything other than a wild-ass guess as to their impact.

Chances are that the early cars ('91-94 NSX coupe) won't be affected all that much. Look at how these cars have held up in price. It's really tough to find one for less than about $32K with moderate (say 50K) mileage, well-kept, clean title, manual transmission, no accident history. These prices aren't all that different from 3-4 years ago. They'll probably go down a few grand in price, but this would have happened anyway as the cars age. There are still lots of buyers waiting to enter the market at the $30K price point, and I suspect this will continue to be true.

As for the newer cars, look at what has happened to their prices. In the past year alone, the price of a nice '97 has dropped by about $10K during that period (from low-to-mid-sixties to low-to-mid-fifties), due to some combination of the economic recession, the incentives offered by Honda, and the intro of the facelifted '02. Arguably the economy may have been the biggest of those factors. In any case, this may be the biggest one-year hit in market value that the newer cars will ever face.

Regarding the new '05 NSX, we still have absolutely no idea of the two most important items that will determine the market value of the current models: the selling price, and the sales (number of units sold).

Bottom line: Three years is too far out to make any predictions. But I wouldn't bet on the new intro having as much impact on the market prices of the current models as other factors, like how the economy is doing, stock market prices, etc. And guessing at those other factors three years out is only that: guessing.

Conclusion: Don't worry about small differences in market price at some point in the distant future. Drive your NSX and enjoy it.

I agree totally with the last post. I'd add that we may even see some appreciation in values of the 1st gen cars if the 2nd gen turns out to be a $140,000+ car rather than a $50,000 car. If the second gen is as advanced in 2004 as the 1st gen was in 1990, the renewed interest can only be a good thing IMHO.

I have a late model NSX-T and I'm not really worried about resale value. Look at the '95-'98 Porsche 993s that have held their value pretty well after the new 996s came out in '99. And the Ferrari 355 has more than held up its value since the 360 Modena came out in '99 also. I'm just wondering how many on this forum will sell/trade/keep their existing NSX and get the new generation NSX if they like the new generation's styling, performance,etc.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

Has anyone considered the possibility that the NSX as we know it will stop being produced in '05?, and that it will not be replaced? All we have now are rumors of a v8 car, and Honda is well known for keeping a very tight lid on its internal plans. Isn't it possible that Honda may decline to invest millions in a retooled NSX because of the dismal sales of the existing model? (This may become an even more pursuasive argument if the minor reskin of '02 fails to attract buyers.

Remember, Honda is in business first to make a profit, not to keep us NSX lovers entertained with incredible new products. As all of us know, many an Asian sports car has been discontinued because of sagging sales. I hope the NSX is not among them. I'm just glad I've got the current model -- I still feel like it has no equal at any price.

I was not to concerned about the the older (91-94)losing any value, I actually think they may increase a little or at least hold in value, but as with any older car documentation and condition will determine the final value. I am still thinking that buying the '02 and on is riskier than a craps game. My guess is those cars will depreciate the fastest of all NSX because of the fast lift. I hope Honda is not deciding the fait of an "all new NSX" on the sales of these "new" cars.

Back