• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hybrid Battery question - NSX sitting for over a year

The NSX battery is likely much larger than the pack in our Lexus, which does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds.

I joined the forum at around 1994 after I purchased a 1994 NSX ( purchased new at that time) and the only weakness is the stero system. I keep it at top condition till I sold it at 2013. The new owner wins many local antique car beauty contect.
I recently purchase an used 2017 model. The biggest worry is that hybrid battery but after rejoining /reading this forum , looks like I just over-react with this hybrid battery. Let see.

Attachments

• IMG-20200111-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200111-WA0003.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 13
Congrats on the purchase of your 2017. It is a great car. I feel you will be very happy with your decision. How does it feel to be again driving a NSX?

Just delivered few days ago and no chance to drive yet. I have already requested the saleman to fully charge the hybrid battery at the moment of delivery. He told me it he uses Sport + mode just to drive app. 15 minutes and already quickily charged the hybrid battery to full. This concurs to what I read in this forum.
I also have a 2014 R8 V10 ( doesn't like the 2nd gen. R8 to srart with that split blades) and I am more interested to find out the overall handling between R8, NSX 1st. gen( very good nimble handling feeling but a little bit under-power if evaluated with today standard) and 2nd gen.

Attachments

• Dec 18, 2017-1.jpg
    Dec 18, 2017-1.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 18
Just delivered few days ago and no chance to drive yet. I have already requested the saleman to fully charge the hybrid battery at the moment of delivery. He told me it he uses Sport + mode just to drive app. 15 minutes and already quickily charged the hybrid battery to full. This concurs to what I read in this forum.
I also have a 2014 R8 V10 ( doesn't like the 2nd gen. R8 to srart with that split blades) and I am more interested to find out the overall handling between R8, NSX 1st. gen( very good nimble handling feeling but a little bit under-power if evaluated with today standard) and 2nd gen.
I had a 91 NSX for 5Years and a 2001 NSX for 15 years and now a 2017 for 4 years. The 91 was pretty much stock and drove well but paled compared to the 2001. That NSX had upgraded brakes, suspension, exhaust and was supercharged. The 2001 was like a wild go cart in comparison.

The 2017 is on a whole different level. It is a supercar with the everything already optimized. Other than the SOS downpipes which provides a more visceral sound. The car in my estimation is a winner. Given I am old now, perhaps impacts my opinion. I await your input.

Today have the first drive of the NSX (delivered Sept 4) finally.
I use the Sport Plus mode most of the time and only Sport mode briefly.
I notice in the Sport Plus mode, the hybrid battery needle doesn't drop down easily but once I use Sport mode, the hybrid battery needle will fall down. I understand in Sport mode, the car will use hybrid battery and will use gasoline only under certain criteria. If so, the hybrid battery will be consumed quickily in Sport mode and if continue to drive in Sport mode, will the hybrid be used to a very low level ?( Of course, I can turn to Sport Plus mode to quickily charge back to full )
Anyway, need more time to find out more about this car vs. R8.

Hybrid batteries have a built-in safety factor. They never run down below a certain charge level. Also often they will not hit a true 100%. This ensures that the battery is not abused. Try and run the battery down. You will see that the car will all of a sudden start charging. I have tried numerous times to see how low I can get the battery down. I always fail. So do you love the car?

Thanks for the explanation.
My initial about the NSX after the first drive. I like it!
Let me drive it in Sport mode next time to see what is the feeling vs. Sport Plus mode

After reading the owner manual, I still don't understand what is the use that "Assist Charge " gauge ( see photo). I can see the needle sometimes moves up .

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 13
"Assist" means the car is using battery power to increase power to augment the gasoline engine. "Charge" means the car is using regenerative braking (even applies sometimes when just coasting) to put charge back into the hybrid battery.

As you noticed, in Sport+ the car tries to bring the battery to full charge so that all available assistance is available once you start to call for it. In Sport and Quiet mode, the car balances use of the battery to maximize fuel economy. But if you punch it, you'll find the car assumes you're going to need power again soon and doesn't drop back to electric mode right away.

The logic in the whole system is astoundingly intuitive, seamless, and effective. As an engineer, I really admire the elegance of the work the Honda designers did!

Now the other question is about that Assist Charge gauge.
How to interpret/read this gauge? ( I can see sometime the needle goes up to zone"A" briefly but sometime it goes down to zone "B" briefly . Sometime no going up and down.)

Attachments

• IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 18
“A“ is go-power from the battery. The harder you push the more A boost you get. Nail it and watch the boost bars light up.
“B” is the system recuperating juice for more A go-power.

If you don't own the car or have no experience with a hybrid or electric car in general, you overthink the system parameters. The battery pack is tiny compared to most E vehicles and it depletes and recharges quickly.

Today has 2nd drive after its delivery. Now has more understanding of this car.
The Sport mode is not that fun as the Sport+ mode.
The car is more powerful than 2014 R8 V10. Somehow one must really steps on the gas pedal otherwise the car feel heavy and does not want to move.

Today has 2nd drive after its delivery. Now has more understanding of this car.
The Sport mode is not that fun as the Sport+ mode.
The car is more powerful than 2014 R8 V10. Somehow one must really steps on the gas pedal otherwise the car feel heavy and does not want to move.
Glad you are enjoying it
Iti's programmed to behave based on you you behave
If you are getting on it some, the revs stay high and it will be most responsive to your throttle inputs
At first it looks like the engine is stuck on a higher RPM, but it's just staying ready for you to punch it

Now the other question is about that Assist Charge gauge.
How to interpret/read this gauge? ( I can see sometime the needle goes up to zone"A" briefly but sometime it goes down to zone "B" briefly . Sometime no going up and down.)
You should get your hands on an owners manual. If it did not come with the car, you can download from the internet. Go here to the Acura owners area and register. You will learn a great deal about this great car. https://owners.acura.com/vehicles/warranty?year=2017&model=NSX

Back