• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I did it, Gunmetal my 02+ wheels!

Well, after MONTHS of debating on my head I decided to paint my wheels, I really like the 02+, I think this are the best wheels Honda has ever released OEM, I was going to powder coat them but for some reason I always get a bit concern about the wheels going to a oven/been cooked etc, bothers me, anyways, this time i really took my time, really degreased the wheels, removed any oils, sand them (I sand by hand and OMG it really can get annoying) .. used proper primer, really took my time and did a proper paint + clear coat.

NOTE: In desperation, some weeks ago decided to keep the car "clean" I even removed my type-ARGH wing so I could stay away from "dirty thoughts":

DSC03928.jpg

But I couldn't help it, i like DARK WHEELS with the Type-R wing, i like this way, sorry i do like some extra sassiness on my car LOL ... but I do understand why some people like stock color wheels and the stock wing.

and here are the results:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

2.jpg

The center-caps were very challenging, I need to repaint the red since I didn't like the results much, those "A" in the middle --I wish they came off easy-- so i could paint them separately, but I had no courage enough to try to dismantle them .. I ended up repainting by hand b/c masking/painting was horrible -also I was tired-

6.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

As extra info, car sits 1.25" low in TEIN-RA's and 25mm all around H&R wheels adapters/hubcentrics

The best part, total cost: UNDER $50, and I tested them and they don't scratch, when done properly the paint can be very strong!

I hope you guys like :)

Oscar

I dig it! I like both setups to be honest. The original silver finish has a nice contrast to the bold red, and the gunmetal gives it a more edgy look. Good work. And glad you went back to the Type-R wing.

The original color makes the car "too cute" I think, as you said, more edgy ftw! ... the wing, yes, I was feeling so weird not seeing that CF on my mirror no more ... I am glad you like it, you are always one of the best judges -imo- on the aesthetics part!

Nice work.

Armando

Armando, so long, see if you can come this friday to the towers :) we do miss you!

Oscar, great job, looks very good.:smile:

You know it, I was trying to hard to be "clean" ... and I couldn't help! my little ricer in me demands some dark wheels! LOLOLOL

I'm still "on the fence" about the red Acura logo on the centercaps. You should chop a version in gunmetal to see how it looks like.

So funny, I did had them in GM too in some stage, but painted the red on top, it looked awesome, but I wanted to make the "A" pop ... if I GM the "A" I might as wheel do the same with the front and rear emblems .... it never ends! lol

You did a top notch job there Oscar. Your car is tastefully done. I think you may be ready to try doing some backyard bodywork on your own. :wink:

Great job! Glad you went back to the CF wing. The OEM made it look like everyone else's red. Now, extra pizazz with the GM wheels.

I think it looks really good. Nice pix!

The GM looks good (although I am biaised :wink:) and I particularly like that you detailed the OEM Acura badge. IMO, it gives the wheel a link to the calipers and the rest of the car.

A couple of thoughts for you .... change the wheel nuts to black, and consider either a wrap or paint to the roof and mirrors. This would visually lower and balance the car and make the rear wings look as though they belong on the car. At the moment, they do look to be 'stuck' on the back.

CAr is very clean and I like the closed in front lights.

Regards, Paul

nice job, I like the gunmetal color. I think your right its honda best color for rims.

how long did it take you to complete all 4 wheels, sanding/painting etc.

The results definitely make the car look more aggressive. You had a good run with the oem color wheel. So switching it up would not hurt.

Back