• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I had my windshield piller covers replaced.

My pillar covers developed bubbles on both sides on my 01. After waiting close to a year for the covers to come in, they were replaced under warranty and look GREAT. The covers have been redesigned with more of a hard plastic surface. I don't think the new ones will bubble like the old ones.

I see the same thing on my '95. I am contemplating replacing them but I am afraid to ask how much each cover will cost. :eek:

I have one single bubble on the top of my A-pillar but I'm not about to sell one of my kidneys to get that fixed by Acura. :rolleyes:

I've been having problems with bubbles on my pillars as well....quite a bit of bubbles.

Anyone know how much it costs to replace?

Bubbles on your pillars????

Can one of you guys post pics? Im not sure what/where you guys are talking about. This thread caused me to go outside and do an extensive search of all my pillars and I can find no bubbles anywhere. Is this inside, or outside the car???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

MontrealR said:
I've been having problems with bubbles on my pillars as well....quite a bit of bubbles.

Anyone know how much it costs to replace?

The part, for a '91, on Delray Acura's website goes for:

SEAGULL GRAY 65.71
LIGHT TAN, HALF BLACK, PLATINUM WHITE, REAL BLACK 89.92

For an '05:

REAL BLACK 73.76

I wonder what year they changed how these are made, if they really are different now.
Since I have a '91, I bet I'm stuck with the old one anyway to get the gray.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same part. I've never seen them in anything other than black. It is the garnish trim on the inside of the car that is on the left and right side of the windshield. I would suspect the same part fits all year NSX's. On my 01, the original trim piece was much softer and spongy. The bubble appeared to be caused by an air pocket developing between the vinyl outter layer and the foam core. The new piece seems to be much different. The soft spongyness is gone. It is more like molded plastic, although it is still somewhat soft. Clearly it has been reengineered. At less than $100 each, the price doesn't seem out of line. If your car still has warranty, get them to replace them free.

btw. The bubbles are much more pronounced when the interior is HOT. I think that is when the air pockets expand and make them more pronounced.

That's definately the part I'm talking about. You can verify that by looking on Delray's parts site under 'pillar trim'. It's the piece that bubbles. Obviously on about 2000 and newer they've gone to black only. My '91 is the gray, and I assume, older tan and white interiors get the matched color.

mikec said:
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same part. I've never seen them in anything other than black. It is the garnish trim on the inside of the car that is on the left and right side of the windshield. I would suspect the same part fits all year NSX's. On my 01, the original trim piece was much softer and spongy. The bubble appeared to be caused by an air pocket developing between the vinyl outter layer and the foam core. The new piece seems to be much different. The soft spongyness is gone. It is more like molded plastic, although it is still somewhat soft. Clearly it has been reengineered. At less than $100 each, the price doesn't seem out of line. If your car still has warranty, get them to replace them free.

btw. The bubbles are much more pronounced when the interior is HOT. I think that is when the air pockets expand and make them more pronounced.

mikec said:

I'm just curious, but did you ever try to let the air out of the bubbles by poking a small pin through the vinyl? If so, did it help at all?

dnicho05 said:
I'm just curious, but did you ever try to let the air out of the bubbles by poking a small pin through the vinyl? If so, did it help at all?

Yes.. I did... and it made it better. I would have persued that fix if they were not replaced under waranty.

mikec said:
Yes.. I did... and it made it better. I would have persued that fix if they were not replaced under waranty.

Well thats good news. The pillars on my 97 have a few bubbles, and I was thinking of taking a pin to them, but I wasn't sure if that would just make it worse. Guess its worth a try then. - Thanks

I was thinking that instead of just popping with a pin, you could use an actual needle/shringe with some kind of glue in it to fix the bubbling. Just a thought may not work but it might be worth a try.

Back