• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I have to buy a timing belt cover!

I am about to do my timing belt and water pump next week. I have a good deal on the belt and pump. Reading through the FAQ I also noticed I need to buy a $100 timing belt cover!!

I noticed this in the FAQ as an alternate option:

A. Replace the lower timing belt cover for
about $100
B. Drill a hole in your existing lower
timing belt cover so the water pump weep
hole tube can stick out, then fill the
old hole w/silicon glue.

Has anyone done option B before? I would do this to save an unnecessary $100 expenditure if it is perfectly safe and does not compromise anything. Is this just cosmetic and a way of fastening (not like anyone can see it in there), or am I risking any kind of problems by doing this? Please help. I have to order the stuff today and want to know whether I need to get that $100 piece or not.

This "hole" was done on my first NSX when I replaced the timing belt/water pump. It was done by Davis Acura (Bernie) and it was not an issue or a problem. It seems like an OK fix.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Thanks! That saves me a hundred bucks.
biggrin.gif

Ilya,

No need to "weep".
wink.gif

I remember talking to Bernie at the time and he assured me that it was an OK thing to do. Apparently he has been doing this for sometime without problem or incident.

Put that $100 to something else...oh say like a BaschBoost Supercharger?!
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I replaced the cover but I think it was more than $100 even with a 25% discount. I compared the two and decided the add-a-hole option would be OK, but I seem to recall that it looked like it would be easier to start with a slightly larger hole then add a grommet to keep the dust out.

Back