• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need advice on buying a car

Guys I need some advice. I have been looking to buy a Maserati GS (for my brother in-law actually) and have found two of them in Florida that I like. The one I really like, an MC Victory edition, I am just a tad bit uncomfortable with because of the seller. His communication has not been very clear, but I am not sure if this is just this guy's personality or if there is something he is hiding. I found the car on maseratilife.com, called him, then found THIS thread. That made me pretty much forget the deal, but once I called the guy he answers his phone regularly, and he said that buyer was a real pain and they got into a fight, he made him lose another buyer yada yada and so he kept his $1000 deposit.

I then asked him to send me a picture of the car's VIN, and he did so promptly. He also sent me a copy of the title, front and back.

I am now flying there to see this car, and possibly give him a deposit. But I don't want to get ripped off. How can I ensure that this car is legit, that it is his, that the title is clear, etc. What steps do I need to take? Can someone advise me? I think he said that he wanted the last potential buyers' driver's licence number and some info and the guy refused. I was thinking... "yeah, I would too". He said he needed that for the bank as there is currently a loan on the car and he needed it for title transfer. I don't know... the guy didn't have any issues with my going and physically seeing the car. He even offered to get me from the airport.

Just some suggestions:

1. Carfax and Autocheck - check the cars history (sometimes they state whether there is a loan/lien etc.)
2. Go to the local DMV in that state and look up the title or have the seller send you a copy of the title and check with that states DMV
3. Get the car inspected at the local Maserati dealer
4. If there is a loan or lien pay that bank directly not the seller

This is a buyer's market for high end sports cars if there ever was one. I wouldn't be taking too many risks. Personally, I don't buy cars or motorcycles that still have a lien on them due to the "trust" usually required at some point in the transaction. What spooks me is who doesn't have a the funds to pay off the loan on a sports car prior to selling it knowing full well that doing so makes buyers much more comfortable?

My new neighbor has one of those. A really bright yellow one. Leaves it parked outside though, kinda crazy.

Its scary buying a car from someone who does not hold the title in his hand. I'd try to see if you can deal with the bank directly.

Last edited:
Pre-purchase inspection at dealer should give all the results you need apart from finance/title issue. I believe that includes carfax in some cases. You don't have to even fly till then. Of course you can pay for it. Good luck!

Dealer PPI. :rolleyes:

Last PPI I attended was performed on my NSX at the Acura Dealership when I was selling it.

The dealership informed the purchaser that the suspension was screwed up on the 8,xxx mile pristine car.

Funny thing was they replaced a broken tie rod under warranty with 3k miles on the car.

Take a PPI with a grain of salt- or any one piece of info, be it a carfax, autocheck, second opinion, etc.

In aggregate, all the tools and info you have available will tell you the true story.

Above all- if your gut says walk.....for God's sake walk.

Good luck, sir.

Back