• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I sold my 1991 NSX took a road trip to her new owner - 1,100 miles away!

What a wild week I have had.

Recently I have found my (almost) dream car. A clean, relatively low miles, Spa Yellow Pearl NA2 Targa, and sold my Formula Red 1991.

Story time:

When I got engaged to my now wife, we rented a yellow NSX for the weekend. This is what started me on the hunt for an NSX; even as beat up rental cars are concerned, my wife and I still fell in love with the car. That was almost 9 years ago, and I have been on the hunt since then to find a nice example. Finally, four years ago, I found a nice Formula Red NA1 from a gentleman only about 300 miles away from me. In the last 4 years, I brought that car from "pretty good" to "damn nice". I finally had the car to my liking and with all the major maintenance and restoration done to the car, visions of Stoptechs and Superchargers were dancing through my head.

That was until three weeks ago. I was approached by a local NSX Club member who told me they were selling their 1997 Spa Yellow. My wife and I thought about it for a few days when we decided to buy it. That meant my first baby had to go up for sale. I put the car on a NSXPrime, Facebook group, Kijiji (like Craigslist) and finally Autotrader. Within three days of putting it on Autotrader, I was already getting tired of people asking to buy the car for half price (or less) when someone I had never met before sent me a message. It was awesome! Full sentences, actual questions and I could tell this was a real enthusiast I was dealing with. We came to an agreement within 24 hours, and within 24 hours of that, he wired the money to my bank account. With that gesture of good faith, I had to get my detailer in one last time to give the car a final polish.

ZPAE6uf.jpg

There was only one thing left. The logistics of moving the car. The buyer lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and I'm near Toronto - a full 1,800km (1,100mi) away from each other, and his wife was actually overdue with her first child. Transport companies were booking for early July, he couldn't leave his wife for a few days - so we came to the only logical conclusion. ROAD TRIP! I called my good buddy and asked if he wanted to go for a trip to the coast. It's a long 18 hours in the car if you have nobody to share your time with.

It just so happens that a friend of mine went to school in Halifax, and is a motoring enthusiast as well. He has done this trip more than a few times, so he told me which route to take to get some breathtaking scenery in and enjoy my final send-off with Mustache (pronounced Moo-tasha).

We left at noon on Friday from Hamilton, Ontario and drove to Lincoln, New Hampshire for the evening. Four hours across I-90 in Central New York was the worst part of the drive - thank God it was at the beginning. From Albany we turned slightly north through the twisty back roads of Vermont and finally arrived at our motel at about 11:00 that evening. We ordered some Chinese food, hit the sack, and due to an engineering issue we woke up at 5:15am. We completed the three S's and were on the road at 5:50am. Because it was dark, we didn't see this when we arrived, but this is what we woke up to.

wmmMI9e.jpg

What came next was the highlight of our trip. The Kancamagus Highway (New Hampshire route 112) is about 36 miles between Lincoln and Conway, NH and is quite simply, one of the most beautiful roads I have ever driven. the road was serene, peaceful, and most importantly - curvy! We stopped at every rest area on the road.

IMG_1120.jpg

BepotfX.jpg

U2mWFX4.jpg

ANfq7Ll.jpg

Other than one motorcycle, we only saw one local resident.

mS8NidT.jpg

Just like that, one of the best roads I have ever driven was over in just over an hour and a half. If you ever want to look into driving this road, and I highly suggest you do, go to this link:

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

From there we stopped at a greasy spoon in Bridgton ME. For two guys running on little sleep it was awesome. Greasy eggs, sausage patties and strong coffee. Life was good.

Somewhere along the way, I saw the best street sign ever:
DzqSECb.jpg

How would you like to live there?
The next few hours rolled away on the interstate until we finally reached home, in Shipton, New Brunswick. Even though we were out of the country for less than 24 hours, it was a sight for sore eyes.

OAry0T5.jpg

The first thing we did when we crossed back into Canada was to find a Tim Hortons for a large Regular and a sandwich. From the border crossing we decided to push it all the way to Halifax. 5 or so hours ticked by with nary a hiccup. The scenery from a major highway was limited, but we did get to see a few nice vantage points around the Bay of Fundy.

We arrived at the purchasers house at almost exactly 7:00 Saturday night, and I got to say goodbye to my first love.

67l5DIa.jpg

That was the last time I’ll probably ever see her in the flesh.

We got a ride to Downtown Halifax where we were staying for the night, and our hotel just happened to be four houses down from where my buddy’s mom grew up! We had to go take a picture in front of the old house.

8atakre.jpg

Tired and beaten, we made it to our dinner reservations only two short hours late. The wait was definitely worth it. The waiter made my Caesar salad tableside, and it was second only to the main course.

6QvsCcU.jpg

Ad42qkF.jpg

After that, we spent a couple hours in a traditional down-east pub with a local band.

We woke up in the morning, with a slight headache and decided that we would be tourists for the day, and walk around Halifax.

We saw one of the most beautiful towns I have ever visited. Being a port town on the eastern edge of North America, this place is beaming with history (and hills!) around every corner. We visited Citadel Hill, which is a fort that has history back to around 1776.

QvYq2y2.jpg

The old town clock, which is right down the hill from the fort.
kTkNtW6.jpg

And of course the wharf.
1UCFJEG.jpg

That’s where I had breakfast.
The final thing we did before getting our ride to the airport was to visit the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic where they had all sorts of neat stuff including an actual deck chair from the Titanic.
If my wife ever gets me to do something that I feel is a bit useless in the future, I’ll send her this picture of me rearranging an actual (replica) deck chair from the Titanic. How’s that to commitment to a joke!
582reIY.jpg

The original is behind glass and obviously can’t be touched.

We caught our flight, and landed safely at about 6pm local time where my wife, kids and dog were all happy to see us.

Just for kicks, here are a few pictures from when I had both cars in the garage.
hdHerSt.jpg

WTyDzf6.jpg

5xx4OhF.jpg

Also, if you’d like to see the entire album of photos, click below:
http://imgur.com/a/WHKjo

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 32
Congrats on getting your dream car and getting rid of your old one. What are your thoughts on the coupe vs. targa? Any major differences in the quality of the ride? Also, how did the customs and duties work out? I always thought the buyer had to pay for the duties at the border before he could even obtain a title.

Thanks for the warm words. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to take to take the targa out for a good thrashing yet.

As far as duties are concerned, there were none. I'm Canadian and simply traveled through the US en route to the final destination. It's been an incredible week and I can't wait for life to settle down a bit.

Too bad you guys were on a fairly tight schedule. I am 45 minutes or so from Halifax, in the valley. I would have dropped down with my car and said hi, and bought you a beer. There are indeed some great driving roads in New Hampshire. There are a few around here too. You should venture down some other time, and I could show you around. Good luck with your new car!

I love "purchase" stories, and this "sell" story adds a new genre.

Thanks, as with everything, I think the story is more fun than the outcome!

Too bad you guys were on a fairly tight schedule. I am 45 minutes or so from Halifax, in the valley. I would have dropped down with my car and said hi, and bought you a beer. There are indeed some great driving roads in New Hampshire. There are a few around here too. You should venture down some other time, and I could show you around. Good luck with your new car!

Thanks! It was my first time ever visiting the coast, and after the visit it certainly won't be the last. The beauty is unlike anything I've ever seen.

I'm just thankful I didn't have to drive my car through downtown Halifax. That would be a bit of a chore.

Really enjoyed your great story. Thanks for the share.

Glad to see you got another one and not just selling.

Epic trip Sean and congrats on the new toy! I'm sure you will never forget that adventure.

Your story reminds me of when I acquired my /94 Formula Red almost 7 years ago and the fun I had picking her up in Phoenix and driving back to MI. Your meal in Halifax was clearly better than anything I had on my trip!

Best,
Jeff

Great story Sean...

You will enjoy the NA2

Bram

Thanks Bram, I had better enjoy it, I'm fully committed now!

Really enjoyed your great story. Thanks for the share.

Glad to see you got another one and not just selling.

Thank you, the only thing I could see myself upgrading to now is an NA2 coupe, but they're a bit of a unicorn so I won't hold my breath!

Great story and pictures, congrats Sean!

Brian

Thanks Brian! It's been surreal so far.

Epic trip Sean and congrats on the new toy! I'm sure you will never forget that adventure.

Your story reminds me of when I acquired my /94 Formula Red almost 7 years ago and the fun I had picking her up in Phoenix and driving back to MI. Your meal in Halifax was clearly better than anything I had on my trip!

Best,
Jeff

That's an awesome story too. Half the reason I agreed to drive it out there was for the adventure and story.

I hope to get her detailed late next week to bring the paint back to her original glory!

"Morning Wood" LOL. It still fascinates how a piece of machinery can create so many wonderful memories and stories! Can't imagine the same being true for a lot of other cars, so I guess the NSX is truly a special machine! Really cool story.

This had to go up for sale while I was on my honeymoon. Grew up in Dundas, parents live there still and I'm shopping for an NSX. Ugh. Great story, hope to see the yellow one rolling around.

"Morning Wood" LOL. It still fascinates how a piece of machinery can create so many wonderful memories and stories! Can't imagine the same being true for a lot of other cars, so I guess the NSX is truly a special machine! Really cool story.

That was literally the only time we made an unscheduled stop during the entire trip. It was too good to pass up.

This had to go up for sale while I was on my honeymoon. Grew up in Dundas, parents live there still and I'm shopping for an NSX. Ugh. Great story, hope to see the yellow one rolling around.

Sorry Scotty :( I'm amazed at how quick everything transpired myself.

I made an amazing discovery last night when I was cleaning the interior of the car. I think I am going to have it framed along with my red key that's still in the blister pack.

6sJC1Lh.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for sharing your adventure.

Excellent and funny selling story. Sounds like there was a great amount of trust on both sides of the transaction!

I love the Spa Yellow colour, congratulations on a great acquisition.

...It still fascinates how a piece of machinery can create so many wonderful memories and stories! Can't imagine the same being true for a lot of other cars, so I guess the NSX is truly a special machine! Really cool story.

Agreed. I believe that the NSX attracts many people who value the history, design, and uniqueness of this "old Honda" over the horsepower and novelty of other cars.

To build on your point: this special machine attracts good people, who tend to have great experiences.

Well, I have now owned the new car for a couple of weeks, and I got going last Wednesday night on installing some maintenance parts I had ordered, and swapping out the aftermarket wheels to my OEM 2002+ wheels. So far, I have done the following:

Brake rotors and pads all around. With this I only stripped 1 out of 8 retaining screws on the rotors. I had to do a happy dance.
Air filter - old one was black.
Oil change - due to time, not miles
Wiper blades - old ones were of unknown vintage
Swapped out to my Pride V2 which I kept from the sale of my '91. Those spring bolts on the exhaust were a P.I.T.A.
Swapped back to OEM 2002+ wheels with fresh new black lugnuts.
Zanardi floor mats.

Here's a picture of the carnage in my garage right now, which I still haven't bothered to clean up
0SDoHdo.jpg

This past weekend, Honda Canada Manufacturing invited the NSX Club of Canada for their 30th Anniversary celebration at their head office in Alliston, Ontario. All tolled, there were 31 NSX's that showed up and we got a VIP tour of the place. Wow; what an experience.

A panoramic shot of the 31 cars:
B8UAn8W.jpg

Here we are at our post tour libation location.
P7Jgxya.jpg

This is one of the cleanest Preludes I think I have ever seen. She had about 70k kms on her
VMOJOGy.jpg

Here is a picture of my heart breaking because it will never be feasible for me to own an S600.

HUfQlOU.jpg

Finally, Honda had their jet engine on display. It looked pretty cool, but I'm still not sure what it offers versus other similarly powered units.

KdylQay.jpg

I'll take some pictures this weekend of the new girl. My detailer is coming to get the paint correction done and hopefully have her ship - shape.

Nice sale/purchase story. I love these stories, having done a road trip with my wife last year to purchase my NSX.

Back