• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I test drove the 2013 Accord Coupe V6 and ...... WOW!!!!

This is not for me, but a friend of mine that I've been egging to get rid of his 1997 Accord EX for something new or newer. He's had that fricking car for over a decade. Even though it's garaged, it's just so boring with it's champagne color.

So we've been out every weekend for this month test driving (all cars have to have auto tranny) the following cars for him (his budget is under $30k since he isn't really a car guy like us):

Kia Optima (it was one of the finalist)
TL-S (another finalist and the "good" years, but the ONLY ones for sale are beat to hell)
EVO 10
Hyundai Genesis coupe
BMW 328 and 335
Pontiac G8 GT (per my recommendation. LOL)
GTO (*snicker*)
G35 and G37
Charger V6
Civic
IS250/350
and finally the new Accord Coupe

When he took the BMW he was really disappointed that the steering to to darty or sensitive. The interior (for the $$$) was a bit uneventful. Gauges were not that intuitive and confusing compared to the Japanese and even American cars.
G35 experience was similar to the BMW and the interior felt cheap for a luxury brand
Lexus was too muted and felt like a pedestrian Toyota.
Kia Optima was feature rich ( even had heated seats in the rear), styling by one of the stylist from Audi. sexy inside and out
EVO was sexy out, great Recaro seats and was fun in handling and acceleratin
TL-S was the oldest of the bunch, but had a very nice styling
Civic is underpowered
GTO/G8 just gave him a silly grin since he's never driven a V8. The TQ just made him feel like a god.

So finally, just to check off that we considered the Accord since he has one, we took the 2013 Accord out for a spin. Neither one of us had any high expectations that it was going to be as nice as an Acura.

And WOW we were both wrong. Feature rich. took the turn fast. firm suspension. useful and intuitive electronic gadgets that required no manual reading. forward visibility was great. good room in the back ( not as roomy as the GTO) The list goes on and on.

We were both left thining about that car for the entire day and evening. Just how dam nice and refined the Accord has come. And yes. It looks better than the new NSX.

Now the finalist is the Accord or G8 GT.

So let me get this straight: You think that the new Accord is better looking than the NSX Concept?

From a guy who has seen both in person, and is a practicing pharmacist, let me give you some medical advice - Lay off the f'ing drugs.

Man I was with you until you said the new accord coupe looks better than the nsx. I am disappoint.

Fwiw I think the coupe looks weird while the sedan looks good.

You are exaggerating about Accord and you know it. We just know about half of NSX concept. Both of you need to stop taking those drugs before test drive the cars:tongue:

Last edited:
And yes. It looks better than the new NSX.

Now the finalist is the Accord or G8 GT.

Let me get this straight... The accord coupe looks better than the new NSX, and you are having a hard time choosing between a brand new 2013 accord coupe and a used car from a discontinued division of General Motors.... For a guy that isn't that into cars and wants an auto...

Right?

Last edited:
I also drove the '13 Accord Cpe; nice car, great features but - it's a BOAT. Too darn Big.

Your comment about the new Accord looks better than the new NSX....... :rolleyes: wow man! Put the Hippie Lettuce down.

Yeah, I don't see it. I owned a 2008 V6 Accord Coupe 6 speed for 5 years. Nice cruiser. Nice quality. Nice nav system. But a understeering boat when it came to handling or spirited driving. I fixed that with my 2013 BRZ.

In his defense I say the NSX concept has similar wrap around horizontal headlights and the rear of the NSX has an Accord look to it. Take out the middle light connecting the ends and you have the same "deck lid" spoiler and exact tail light shape albeit different scheme. Does the Accord look better than the NSX concept in my opinion, NO. Do they both look 40k from the front and back only YES. Take a look at a lot of shots of the NSX from a rear angle (bumper wise) and you can see the FAMILY resemblance. This is why I think the concept direction is not worthy of an NSX successor.

2013-Honda-Accord-Coupe-Concept-rear-three-quarters-view-1024x640.jpg

Last edited:
If I had to buy an appliance sedan today, I'd be the Optima. Very cool design and I like the big sunroof. Only problem is that they are everywhere (prob not an issue to your friend). Audi S5 is my current fave DD type car.

It's no secret that Bat hates the design of the new NSX and loves the HSC. I'm in the opposite camp, but whatever. :)

I am looking for a new DD and the Accord he may get rid of his 1997 Accord EX may be a fit. Do you know if it is a 5 spd? How much? Where it is located?

Having owned a Pontiac G8 GXP, they are just plain awesome for the money....Easy to modify too, but thats a car guy thing.....they aren't too good on gas in the city, but great on the highway, like a corvette. The Optima with piano black roof and optional wheels is a damn good looking ride....If he isnt a car guy, let him keep his money, and the car he has now.......

2013 Accord V6 vs 2013 RLX

Accord V6 aside, I believe Acura has finally done its homework "right" this time by differentiating the new RLX demographics from the Accord V6.

This last weekend we enjoyed two days of test driving the Acura RLX thanks to an invite by Acura HQ which has been sponsoring a two week pre-release wine/dine driving event in Calistoga/Napa. We were the second or third group. Behind us were the Chinese press. Due to confidentiality agreements I can't comment on the driving experience; but for a car guy I can say I was very impressed especially with the Advance.

This is not a face lift of last year's RL, nor an upgraded and rebadged Accord. Totally new car with zillion of enhanced features and handling novelty. And wait for the news of the next level they are taking the RLX in some 6-9 mos. I hope this is a sign that Acura has finally woken up from its coma ..... :biggrin:

Last year we had the opportunity to do a similar pre-release two day test drive with the three ILX models on street and autocross circuit and it was clear to us then that Acura was indeed trying.

Back