• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I want one of those...

Does anyone here have any idea how something like this works and what kind of license I would have to get in order to operate this thing?

12.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone here have any idea how something like this works and what kind of licence I would have to get in order to operate this thing?

12.jpg

Guy is so fat, it wont take off.....:eek:

Seems like a spectacular way to kill yourself.

If this didn't require any license and the cost was under $20k I would buy it along with some skydiving lessons.:biggrin:

That thing looks like all it can do are wheelies. If that's what you want why not buy one of theses? I had one as a kid and I could ride a wheelie for blocks. :biggrin:

645px-Raleigh_Chopper-001.jpg

Does anyone here have any idea how something like this works and what kind of license I would have to get in order to operate this thing?

12.jpg

No helmets? .................. "That's Smart!" :eek:

I think these are called Ultralight Trikes..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_trike

Wikipedia said:
In the United States, trikes are often referred to as "ultralight trikes" and are designed to operate under the designation of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR 103) that define an ultralight as a single seat vehicle with under 5 US gallons (19 L) of fuel capacity, an empty weight of less than 254 pounds (115 kg), a top speed of 55 knots (102 km/h), and a maximum stall speed that does not exceed 24 knots (45 km/h). Ultralights are only allowed to operate during daylight hours. FAR 103 makes further weight allowances for two-seat trainers(in which both persons are able to control the craft and thus definable as pilots), amphibious landing gear, and ballistic parachute systems.

A light sport aircraft (LSA) certification code has been produced for heavier and higher performance machines. This is an airworthiness code based on a consensus of industry experts, drawing from many years experience including the British BCAR-S requirements. The LSA initiative also includes similar consensus-based pilot licencing and maintenance requirements. It is proving popular, enabling more people to fly modern designs safely. Trike pilots may also obtain the private pilot certificate which permits them to fly at night, above 10,000 feet, and in other venues not permissible for ultralight or sport pilots.

According to this website you do NOT need a license to fly one.
http://www.all-about-ultralights.com/faq.htm

14. Do you need a license to fly?
Ultralights are regulated under the Federal Aviation Regulations Section 103 and therefore a license is not required to fly an ultralight. So, in essence, triking is a self-regulated sport under the auspices of the Aero Sports Connection (ASC), the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), and the United States Ultralight Association (USUA).

To keep it self-regulated, pilots and instructors alike adhere to the policies and guidelines of these organizations. This program consists of a specific set of flying skills corresponding to a series of pilot proficiency ratings, each of which carries a set of recommended operating limitations.

Once the FAA Sport Pilot proposal is phased in, a simple FAA Sport Pilot airman's certificate will be required to fly a Light Sport Aircraft. You can acquire one with a valid driver's license to prove medical fitness, plus some ground and flight training, a simple written test, and flight test..

Last edited:
About ten years ago I took an ultralight flying lesson. Probably did 30 takeoffs and landings with a bunch of figure 8's in between. No distance flying and didn't get above about 400 feet or so. Cruising speed is like 45mph, but to land, you have to basically stall at what seems like zero mph and then swoop down at what seemed like a hell of a lot faster than takeoff or cruising. I'd guess about 70mph, and you don't level out until you're about to touch down. The guy said he lost a prop mid air the week before (thankfully it was a pusher engine).

I learned that you don't 'drive' an airplane, you fly it. (Duh), but damn that was a serious adjustment period coming at the ground nearly sideways and then correcting it last second before touchdown.

I was sitting on a damn go kart seat strapped to a pole (no real fuselage) and honestly it scared the hell out of me. This coming from a guy with an Accelerated Freefall skydiving license who jumped out solo from 16,000 feet on his first jump. I'd skydive a thousand times from any altitude before I sit on a contraption like that again at anything over couch height.

Ultralight aircraft, no license needed, probably around $30K, and you'd love to pilot this thing after just a few hours worth of instruction. Helmets would make sense and so would hearing protection (they're usually fairly loud).

An "experimental" airplane isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many very safe homebuilts are "experimental" such as a RV or the EZ line. You do have to have FAA inspections and sign-offs along the way as you build it but they don't have to go through the rigorous and expensive normal FAA certification process for every component on the airplane. Some of these still have poor craftsmanship but ones that are built well are just as safe as anything else. There are many WWII warbirds that are classified as 'experimental'.

The powered ultralights like that I wouldn't fly in and I'm a pilot. I don't believe they ever have to be inspected and any 'bubba' can throw one together. You hear about a lot of people crashing those things. Most of them I've seen are poorly built and a lot people who fly them aren't licensed pilots (very scary).

Last edited:
That thing looks like all it can do are wheelies. If that's what you want why not buy one of theses? I had one as a kid and I could ride a wheelie for blocks. :biggrin:

645px-Raleigh_Chopper-001.jpg
Oh man if you still had that= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Back