• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Im Getting Mad at Sites with Slow NSX 0-60's

Okay, Im starting to get real pissed about NUMEROUS websites (Epinions, Consumers Guide, Road and Track, for example) that state the 0-60 times of the 1991-1994 NSX to be like 5.7 seconds. The 0-60 times in this website seem decent, but SO MANY OTHERS state that its slow! Has anyone, tried out their stock 1991-1994 NSX for 0-60 times? What are the REAL numbers? I know that the NSX is a car to rate for overall drivabilty and fun factor, but damn it, I know its faster than 5.7 seconds!

I apologize if this topic has been sent out before. Im new to the forum.

Magazine test numbers are in the FAQ here.

These are the ones put up by the major magazines at the time that the '91 came out:

AutoWeek 8/26/91 5.3
Car & Driver 9/90 5.2
Motor Trend 12/90 5.4
Motor Trend 8/91 5.8 (automatic transmission)
Road & Track 8/90 5.7
Sports Car International 12/90 5.03

KRIKEEE..... Car and Driver just tested the 2002 Z06 with 405HP to 60 in 4 FLAT!
Chevy claims 3.9... believable if C&D was off by merely .1sec. Impressive.

Originally posted by spartan2-3:
I tried my 93 to 60MPH and achieved 4.11 seconds!!

I revved it 3500 RPM drop the clutch with (Tracs on) and achieved these times.

I gather it's not stock. What mods? If stock, how did you time it? Were you on level ground? (That number is at the very least highly implausible for a stock NSX of any year.)

Hey, you guys dont have to worry any more. I have decided to dedicate my life to correcting websites that post slow numbers for the NSX. I have already sent anthrax to the above mentioned sites for their stupidity. You can rest assured that it would not happen again. I have no life, so doing this will make me live eaiser. You really dont have to thank me.

------------------
G Dummy

I have no life, so doing this will make me live eaiser.

We ALL have no life. That's why we spend all our time HERE.
biggrin.gif

Oh Ive got an NSX on hold right now. The dealer has allowed me to store it in his showroom until I pick it up next February. I just refuse to believe the 1991-1994 NSXs are that slow.

My 93 is bone stock, believe it or not.

I have launched it several times and achieved the same times. I had a friend that timed it for me. Im pretty confident that the time results are 97% accurate.

Try revving it at 3-4k RPM's and drop the clutch, you will be impressed with the results. =)

Originally posted by ilya:
I recall some foreign mag even getting a 5.03 second 0-60 on the older models.

I think you're referring to Sports Car International (see above), which I believe is U.S.-based.

Nsx's are slow !! So why is it that these numbers are unbelievable ??

Seriously, currently owning a 2001 Z06 and having driven a 91 NSX, I can say that it isnt even close. It is all about torque to 60 mph and the Z has 100 % more than the X. If the 2 were going at it from a highway roll speed, it would be much closer I think...

Five seconds 0-60 is not slow. You can count on one hand the number of production cars sold today that are faster (Vette, Viper, 911, Ferrari, M3).

Yes, the Z06 is faster in a straight line. There are other areas where the NSX is superior to the Z06. This has been rehashed here before.

When you got 2 more cylinders and about 100 more HP,an about 2 more liters in engine capacity, what do you expect. Ill bet if the NSX had 100 more HP, it can rival the Z06. Compare apples to apples please.

Besides, the NSX has awesome drivability, great handling, is reliable, and has the speed. I like to see the Z06 last about 11 years with the same performance and reliability. Guess we'll have to wait 10 more years for that result.

Originally posted by blk97vette:

Seriously, currently owning a 2001 Z06 and having driven a 91 NSX, I can say that it isnt even close. It is all about torque to 60 mph and the Z has 100 % more than the X. If the 2 were going at it from a highway roll speed, it would be much closer I think...

Yea but have you rebuilt your motor yet?Ive met 2 guys here that have Z06's and both had to have their motors rebuilt after 5k miles.Any company can slap a motor together to run a 4 sec 0-60 and only last 5000 miles.Ive actually raced a Z06 at the local 1/8th mile track and he ran 8.5x and higher while I ran 8.4x in my 97 NSX-T.While Im sure that my car doesnt run 0-60 in 4 flat,I was ahead in all races.What does that tell you?

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT BPU+

i think a better comparison for the nsx would be the c5 corvette. i own a 91 nsx that is bone stock with only a kn air filter and have raced several c5's beating them all,especially the automatics,they are dogs.i believe without a doubt that the z06 will beat the nsx, but who cares, i still wouldnt trade my nsx for a vette.

Comparing Vette to NSX is sooooo 90's... It's all about Toyota Prius VS Honda Insight. 0-60 talk is so lame...let's talk about fuel economy!

Lud,
I was thinking about buying one of those G-tech meters. How accurate are they? I have heard you have to get the pro model to get any kind of accuracy.

My $.02. Yes, you can compare the Z06 to the NSX. Hell, you can compare a civic to the NSX if you like. They are both cars, they both move don't they? I hate this BS about not being aloud to compare one sports car to another. I own a 91 NSX. I've read all about the Z06 and what it can do. While my tastes would never allow me to own such a drab looking car (note: personal opinion), one can not ignore the facts. The Z06 whips ass! And off the line, along with many other tests, it will win out almost every time. This is the reason Honda must release the next NSX!! (hint, hint) It is also the reason I'm buying Mark B's new toy!!

Originally posted by blk97vette:

Thanks for Trolling! Back to the tupperware forums now... bye bye!
smile.gif

Phil

------------------
integra.gif

The following is a real life conversation overheard at the garage where they installed the NSX's new exhaust tips...

Non car savvy customer: Wow, that is pretty sharp, what kind of car is that?

Mechanic: That is an NSX

Customer: Is that some sort of Corvette?

Mechanic: Nope. That car makes a Corvette look like a go-kart.

Thought running through my head as I pulled the NSX out of the garage: Amen.

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 19 December 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
Lud,
I was thinking about buying one of those G-tech meters. How accurate are they?

They range from humorous to hilarious. Borrow one before you buy one so you know what you're getting.

Someone who is a regular here (sjs maybe?) has experience with the g-cube devices and says they are pretty good. Maybe he can elaborate?

Back