• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Importing a car from the US

If a car find his way from the US to Europe there are some things to check. So this thread is about what information is on the US NSX's. Let's assume it's a 02+ car.

- Is there somewhere a sticker that says (LEV, ULEV or SULEV) or "VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION"
- Do the headlight have a SAE or DOT sign on them? Are the headlights height-adjustable?

Thanks

What exactly is your question? How does one import from the U.S. to Europe? Or, if you already have one located originally from the U.S., is it actually legal in your country?

Of course, it would be perfect to know anybody who has done that in my country but unfortunately I don't. There has been one owner in the Netherlands but they may have a little bit other regulations. I can't expect an US guy to know the destinations import regulations. It is regal just some regulations which get easier if the two things I've asked above are fullfilled:

- there must be a sticker about the emissions somewhere in the car.
- the headlights have to be adjustable and must have a DOT or SAE sight on them (I'm not sure but heard that this isn't the case in the US)

all for a 02+

Legal: It may be illegal to export an US NSX to Europe but in the past there have been quite a few NSX's which were exported from my country. So we have to fight back. :tongue::D

Seriously: I'd like to guess what costs besides shipping and taxes I have to pay to get an US car on the road in Switzerland.

Last edited:
Of course, it would be helpful to know anybody who has done that in my country. I can't expect an US guy to know the destinations import regulations. It is regal just some regulations which get easier if the two things I've asked above are fullfilled:

- there must be a sticker about the emissions somewhere in the car.
- the headlights have to be adjustable and must have a DOT or SAE sight on them (I'm not sure but heard that this isn't the case in the US)

all for a 02+

Legal: It may be illegal to export an US NSX to Europe but in the past there have been quite a few NSX's which were exported from my country. So we have to fight back. :tongue::D

Well, the NA 2002+ headlights are not adjustable (without digging into the lights with a screwdriver at least) -- they're "fixed".

I would *guess* the emissions would be about the same in the U.S. vs. elsewhere, since that is generally handled throught the Cats and maybe ECU. Doubt that is any different.

Rather than listen to me and others than only know half the story, I would call Honda global and find out exactly what the differences are and what the import obtacles might be. They should know (and might even help you if you're nice :smile:).

Good luck. Don't take any 05s!!! :biggrin:

Well, the NA 2002+ headlights are not adjustable (without digging into the lights with a screwdriver at least) -- they're "fixed".

I would *guess* the emissions would be about the same in the U.S. vs. elsewhere, since that is generally handled throught the Cats and maybe ECU. Doubt that is any different.

Rather than listen to me and others than only know half the story, I would call Honda global and find out exactly what the differences are and what the import obtacles might be. They should know (and might even help you if you're nice :smile:).

Good luck. Don't take any 05s!!! :biggrin:

Like don't eat from the forbitten fruit? :D

I don't know how helpful Honda will be for this old car? For regulations there are good recommandations on the web. The headlight have to be changed then, ok.

I had a NSX when I lived in the UK and of course I have one now as well. There are a number of differences in the two. Small things like lights, etc. Well, of course the steering wheel as well.:biggrin:

I'm able to locate two emissions stickers-one on the firewall behind the passenger seat and one on the door frame (see attached photos). Looked at the headlights (pop-up variety since its a '93). They may be adjustable but there is no spirit level gauge.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 25
I'm able to locate two emissions stickers-one on the firewall behind the passenger seat and one on the door frame (see attached photos). Looked at the headlights (pop-up variety since its a '93). They may be adjustable but there is no spirit level gauge.

Thanks very much! That's what I was looking for. If anybody could post a picture of the one on the firewall of a 02+ car. Thanks again!

GoldNSX,

Just a suggestion...

I've recently finished writing an article on exporting and importing NSX's and some guidelines you should be checking for NSX Driver Magazine. Before you run out and ask for emissions labels and such I'd contact your countries Traffic Authority or Government Agency that handles importation guidelines and find out if the NSX falls under the admissibility list. Its simple to export vehicles but harder to import! Some countries are protective of their car markets (U.S.) and your country could be one of them.

For example both the U.S. and Canada set regulations on importing vehicles from other countries due to yes, emissions, but more often than not the crash test standards used by each country. The UAE will not allow in "right-hand drive" vehicles, and so on.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about click on these links and read up what the U.S. and Canada permit. This will enable you to check with your local authorities:

www.riv.ca
www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jetpilot3, as you say preparation is the key (so I don't run out... :rolleyes:)
General infos can be found here: www.pom.be.ch/site/pom_svsa_import-fz.pdf (sorry in German but this is a guide for my country :)) where it explains the things I've asked above (emissions and lights). I can import easily an NSX from the US to Switzerland but a missing DOT/SAE on the lights will raise the costs by about $3k and a missing emissions label will cost me another $2k.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Back