• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Indy Cars 2018 Edition

I happened to see the new Indy Car season started today. I am happy to see the new car! As much as the goal of the DW12 (or whatever) was to improve safety, it was a horrible car to look at, and wasn't true to the "Open Wheel" tradition.
I watched the first few laps and there seem to be a bunch of new drivers and hopefully the season will be good.

Wow what a ton of full course yellow flags today. And then the ending - where Rossi took out the race leader (rookie driver). Simply shameful on Rossi's behalf. :frown:

Wow what a ton of full course yellow flags today. And then the ending - where Rossi took out the race leader (rookie driver). Simply shameful on Rossi's behalf. :frown:

I don't think Rossi was at fault, rookie left a spot for Rossi and Rossi unfortunately slid into him. If he protected the angle Rossi wouldn't of had the right to be at that spot. It's unfortunate for the rook but I'm sure he'll learn from it.

I find it more entertaining than F1...yup I said it

Last edited:
So sad for F1...that I also agree that this first Indycar race of the season was more entertaining than F1.

I don't think Rossi was at fault, rookie left a spot for Rossi and Rossi unfortunately slid into him. If he protected the angle Rossi wouldn't of had the right to be at that spot. It's unfortunate for the rook but I'm sure he'll learn from it.

I find it more entertaining than F1...yup I said it

Well, when Rossi went inside then had that evil twitch under braking that caused him to collide with the Leader (Rookie), that's the very definition of an at-fault incident.
The fact that Rossi could continue on for 3rd, well I hope that doesn't stand as that kind of driving should not be rewarded.
I'm sure the Rookie learned something all right, but that was an expensive lesson.

Oh, and yes.....way more entertaining than F1!

Can't put all the blame on Rossi. Wickens left very little room on the inside. Sounds like the pace car not turning of it's lights cost Wickens a proper run down the straight on the restart.

I still need to watch the whole race, and will reserve judgement for the late race contact. I saw where Dixon torpedoed Sato with a total rookie mistake.

I'm just happy to see a good looking race car with exposed wheels. I feel the DW12 was pig looking car and it wasn't an open wheel car. I'd like to see the next generation of open wheel car bigger, taller and (gasp) slower. I might even be so daring as to make the front and rear wings fixed (ie for looks only) and raise the cars 3-5" or more off the ground. I can totally appreciate a ground effect car, but for the worse, it has taken much of the fan base out of the sport. There aren't too many spectators at the track who can understand the effort of a wind tunnel, etc. Even the average weekend mechanic can understand camber, torque etc.

I suspect the fall of NASCAR ratings over the last 5 years is the result of the cars not being even remotely close to "Stock" with full template bodies etc.

My opinion and time will tell.

I suspect the fall of NASCAR ratings over the last 5 years is the result of the cars not being even remotely close to "Stock" with full template bodies etc.

Understatement.

Pls return to post your thoughts after reviewing this incident. So far, our NSX camp seems divided. :confused:

Anyway, I always look forward to the Indy Car Series at Mid-Ohio, end of July. Drivers have to turn right and left! Road courses. :biggrin:

Wickets did not protect the inside, and that was his mistake. I don’t think Indy car has the rule like F-1 where the inside driver has to give room, but wrecking the leader (or anybody) isn’t a good way to race.
If Rossi pulls off the pass cleanly it is a great move, but in this case a racing incident that easily could have cost Rossi too.

Did anybody watch the race from Phoenix? Was it even on TV?

I heard the crowd was pretty bad.

Now that Indy car racing is going to NBC next year, it seems that ABC has even less effort to promote the series. Long beach is in a couple of weeks, always a big race, but I'm not sure it will be on TV?

Now that Indy car racing is going to NBC next year, it seems that ABC has even less effort to promote the series. Long beach is in a couple of weeks, always a big race, but I'm not sure it will be on TV?

Now that ESPN is airing F1, figured ABC will be ending their relationship with Indy. I enjoy watching Indy

Last edited:
Info

Did anybody watch the race from Phoenix? Was it even on TV?

I heard the crowd was pretty bad.

Miner - Yes, I watched it. It was carried by NBCSN.
From what I could see the crowd was sparse.

250 laps around an oval...... not too exciting :frown:

RE: Near term Indy Car schedule

Long Beach this weekend - Sat, April 14th at 215PM EST IMSA race on Fox
Sun. April 15th at 4PM EST Indy Car race on NBCSN

Birmingham, AL, the weekend of April 21-22 - Indy Cars Sunday 22nd at 3 PM EST on NBCSN.

Indianapolis the weekend of May 12th - Indy Car race Sat. May 12th at 3PM EST on ABC

Back