• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Indy Yellow Pearl debuts for 2020

Interesting that they called this "Indy Yellow" which was the name used in Japan and elsewhere instead of Spa Yellow which was used here in the USA on the gen 1 NSX. Also interesting that they chose Indy / Spa Yellow over Rio Yellow which is much richer and deeper IMO (although this color may be a new formulation / different code based on the press release wording). Honda's press release below.

2020 Acura NSX Debuts Heritage Color - Indy Yellow Pearl At Monterey Car Week

TORRANCE, CALIF.

• A modern interpretation of sought-after Spa Yellow, offered on the 1997-2003 NSX, Indy Yellow Pearl joins Berlina Black as one of two NSX heritage colors
  • Spa Yellow was the fifth most popular first-generation NSX color
  • 2020 NSX now available for ordering, with first deliveries due in November
The 2020 Acura NSX will debut a striking new Indy Yellow Pearl paint scheme during Monterey Car Week. The 2020 Acura NSX will first be displayed at Concours on the Avenue in Downtown Carmel alongside an NSX GT3 Evo race car, featuring a custom designed livery with yellow and blue accents over the exposed carbon fiber body. The 2020 NSX is now available for ordering, with first customer deliveries to begin in November. The 2020 NSX carries a starting Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $157,500, not including delivery charges. For more information on ordering, visit Acura.com/NSX.
Indy Yellow Pearl pays homage to Spa Yellow, one of two yellow paints offered on the first generation NSX, and will join Berlina Black as an available heritage color for the 2020 model year. Spa Yellow, known as "Indy Yellow" in some markets, was applied to around 20-percent of NSXs produced between 1997 and 2003. For the final two years of NSX production (2004-2005), Spa Yellow was replaced by Rio Yellow.

Last edited:
NSX20_015.jpg

NSX20_013.jpg

I would be shocked if there isn't a more significant update for 2021.

The first gen went from 1991 to 1995 before a significant update (targa), so going from 2017 to 2021 would be about on schedule for a major change. I figure "major change" constitutes:

• Change to new diamond pattern front end that Acura uses in their branding
  • Some sort of top coming off
  • Boost in HP from the rear battery pack.

Out of that list, I see the new front end as a complete no brainer as the NSX now stands out from the other cars which is bad for a halo car. Boosting the HP from the battery is probably the least needed change, but likely to be a relatively easy way to produce a "Type S" model. Popping the top is probably the most expensive option and although I am sure they discussed it when the car was in production, low sales figures are probably being used as an argument not to pursue it.

It took 4 years to get a targa for the original. I read from a poster here who seemed to have the best inside info (forgot his name), but he mentioned there's just no space for a removable targa top to be stored in the car. Not going to happen.

It took 6 years to get a 3.2 and 6 speed for a 97 and 5 additional (11 years total) years for a facelift since 91.

Going by how Honda and Acura updates as of late, 2021 will get some sort of "special" model that adds a color, deviated colored stitching, body colored or blacked out trim and 10+ badges throughout the vehicle.

Indy Yellow at The Quail this past Friday. Acura was giving out traditional Japanese wooden umbrellas that were yellow and said "NSX" on them, actually a pretty brilliant move during a weekend when everyone is getting toasted under the sun at car shows.

IMG_0300.jpeg

Looks great, but my opinion is bias. :D :D :D (mine is yellow)

Do you have a photo of the umbrella. Must have been nice to see everyone with the yellow umbrellas. You're right, nice move to get folks excited about yellow.

Looks great, but my opinion is bias. :D :D :D (mine is yellow)

Do you have a photo of the umbrella. Must have been nice to see everyone with the yellow umbrellas. You're right, nice move to get folks excited about yellow.

Here is a picture of them from Acura's Twitter. These things were everywhere, I saw them for the rest of the weekend at other events too.

ECI2H-XUIAAnt0n

Back