• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inner CV Joint Boot Leak

Wow, you have fluid too? You're stocked with candy eh? ;) You should come down! lol!

I guess it's some special tranny fluid too eh? :confused:

yea you can just drain it down a little , as far i see it drain completely , change the seal ,move on , i got fluid too if you need it

no its just honda MTF , which works fine , you will read a lot of stuff about different tranny lubes &how great they are , if your tranny is ok (no syncro grind) this is what you use , a lot guys talk about how diff. oils did away with their shifting problems , ITS JUST TEMPORARY , soon they will have shifting problems again !!!! I've played this game for a long time :wink:

no its just honda MTF , which works fine , you will read a lot of stuff about different tranny lubes &how great they are , if your tranny is ok (no syncro grind) this is what you use , a lot guys talk about how diff. oils did away with their shifting problems , ITS JUST TEMPORARY , soon they will have shifting problems again !!!! I've played this game for a long time :wink:

I don't know how you'd define "temporary" but I've been grind free for years for the past 50k of the 110k miles on my odometer since the change.

yea i expected this , there is always exceptions , your tranny probably was ok , were you constantly power shifting , stressing synchros , probably not , you 'll be ok , but TRUST ME when you start to grind in 2nd ,or 3rd , its the begining of the end , the blocker ring is bottomed on the gear , it can no longer synchronize , that is what these lubes do , they give you added time thru friction , drive it normally it will work . :wink:

Ok, I have the driver's side cleaned and re-packed with grease. Now the passenger's side nut simply refuses to come off. D'OH! Time to Kroil the crap out of it and let it sit overnight... tomorrow is another day... wait... it's amost 1:30am... it is tomorrow! D'OH!!!

Be sure to pop plenty of pain killers before bed. My chest and arms were soooo sore from working on my back under the car pulling the shaft out that it kept me up all night. I was in pain pretty bad.

Too late. I'm now completely in the land of 'omfg my body is killing me'...

Be sure to pop plenty of pain killers before bed. My chest and arms were soooo sore from working on my back under the car pulling the shaft out that it kept me up all night. I was in pain pretty bad.

Ok, got the passenger side hub nut off and removed everything else to get the shaft out. The shaft even came out very easily from the trans, unlike the drivers side. Here's my question: I was told to remove that little shield that covers the back side of the shaft. Does that really have to be removed? If yes, for what reason?

Ok, I removed the shield. I think it has to be removed to make room to get the axle out. Otherwise, its in the way.

Now all I have to do it pull the axle out. Unfortunately, my helper isn't available till next weekend so that's probably when we'll get it all done.

Next question: I'm going to change the trans seal while I'm in there. Does that require any special moves or anything? Or can it just be pried out of there and push the new one in like any other seal?

Hey, also, where can I get the tool that properly installs these bands on the boots? Anyone out there??? :)

Hey, also, where can I get the tool that properly installs these bands on the boots? Anyone out there??? :)

NAPA
Part Number: SER 3191

24874.jpg

OOOH OOOHH!!! I think I have one of those. Is this it? Performance Tool W83013

Only thing is, the center piece doesn't seem to protrude enough to crimp anything...

wmr-w83013_w.jpg

85568580-260x260-0-0_K+D+Tools+CV+Boot+Clamp+Tool+KDT3955+Category+Cons.jpg

KDTool# 3955 or
Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Pliers
31KFTXD43ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
DSCN3194.jpg

You might not be using it correctly. See how it's done?

No vid for this one. Sorry.:frown:

Last edited:
The tool in the picture,is the one you have. The same one.Maybe a little older or newer but it is the one you mentioned. All three shown work in this manner.

Last edited:
Understood. But the problem is, that's not the type of clamp supplied by Acura. Here's what came in my kit:

NSX clip2.jpg
NSX clamp.jpg

The tool in the picture,is the one you have. The same one.Maybe a little older or newer but it is the one you mentioned. All three shown work in this manner.

For this band it's the first tool I showed you. KD tool# 3191.
There are variants but that tool will do the job IF you know how to use it.
The vid does show you how.

Last edited:
So when I fold it over, I just hammer the loop flat and hope it holds...? There are no tabs to fold down over the excess band material.

So, nobody has experience with this new style of clamp? If not, I may end up putting the old ones back on. At least I know how to install those!

Back