• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

input on vacation to Hawaii

Get your priorities right. Exotic rentals on Maui and the main island. Just do a one day or talk them into a 12 hour rental. The road to Hana on Maui is an experience you will never forget. Take the "forbidden" back way. And drop some dramamine, 300 curves back to back. VERY fun. We like Southern Maui, it's not as crowded as the north, but we like to only stay in one area for three days or so and then move to a different hotel say on the other side of the island. Spending one or two nights in the touristy Honalulu on the way in is a lot of fun, and contrast to the other islands.

Hmmm... I too am in the Hawaii game... my wife, 9 month old, and I are planning a trip between now and April or so. She's been once, me never.

Anyone got some input for a family like us? We'd like to do a typical luau, I'd like to flail on a longboard, and do some snorkling/ scuba. We wouldn't be going out late because of my boy, so nightlife isn't a priority. Seeing a volcano would be pretty cool too. (Is the big island the only one with an active volcano?)

What island would you recommend for our needs/ desires?

Thanks, we just decided on the trip today, so I haven't even begun really internet researching.

I grew up on Guam then Oahu before the culture shock going to the Mainland for a majority of my life . You gotta eat at Zippy's. Grinds at Zippy's cheap, choke food (LOL) lots of food for the price you get em at. Waikiki is nice to walk down every so once in awhile, Sandy's, you want some Hula and fire dance go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, Iolani Palace and see what history Hawaii has. If your going spring or summer and want to BBQ out on the boat might want to try the Sand Bar, awsome time, AlaMaona Shopping center, Pearlridge, Pearl Harbor etc plenty to do. I will be back in Hawaii in Nov, can't wait.

Maui
Nice can't go wrong nice resort there, I see plenty tourist there though.

Big Island, you get the Island country feel.

-g-

Ever eat breakfast at Gazebo? Best banana-pineapple-mac nut pancakes on the Hawaiian Islands!

You can say that again!! Napili area is one of the finest in Maui. I was there several months ago for my best friend's wedding.

Those pancakes ARE incredible. :)

yeah, avoid this part

dog_bounty.jpg

you should also try to avoid hurricanes

My input would be: Don't go.

Went to the Big Island and Oahu a couple years ago.
Was surprised and disappointed by traffic, crime, abandoned cars, piles of trash, etc. Certainly there are nice things about Hawaii but I'm not sure that the positives outweigh the negatives, the long flight distance, etc.

If you decide on Oahu, we stayed at the JW Marriot Ihilani resort...it was incredible. 4 private lagoons to swim, snorkle, paddle boat, relax on the beach. Roy's restaurant just across the street on the golf course, best seared ahi I've ever tasted.

+1 there is no place better on the island, at least not that I have been to. Honolulu sucks ass as far as I am concerned. If I wanted to hang out in Chicago, I would just go there. Plus the flight is WAY shorter.

Hey man I have been to both Maui and Kauai. MY vote goes to Kauai. Please see all the 600 or so pics we took.

Things to do: kayaking up Wailua River (i think thats the name), sailing up the Na Pali coast, Smith's Luau's (amazing food), swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, boating, and just lounging on the beach.

www.enkrypted.com/Kauai < check out my pics. It will rain while you are there b/c it is a tropical rain forest on most of the island. Oh and the best time to go to Hawaii is in the winter time. Its a steady 85F and its not crowded at all. Good luck!

by the way, Kauai has a moratorium preventing any developer to build anything taller than a palm tree. This makes the island very natural looking and its really amazing. Most of the shops have touristy stuff unless you go into the main shopping mall there south of Lihue (where the airport is)

Also, dont go to the southwest of the island where theres a missile test range. (got a speeding ticket there from all the speed traps)

Last edited:
My input would be: Don't go.

Went to the Big Island and Oahu a couple years ago.
Was surprised and disappointed by traffic, crime, abandoned cars, piles of trash, etc. Certainly there are nice things about Hawaii but I'm not sure that the positives outweigh the negatives, the long flight distance, etc.

yea thats b/c you went to the most popular places where the locals that choose to steal from all the tourists. I'm hoping that Maui doesn't fall into this same problem, but unfortunately its slipping. When I was in Kauai, I didn't have any problems.

So if I want to try my hand at surfing, where should a beginner go. Don't want to get killed and don't want to piss off the surfers who can actually surf...

So if I want to try my hand at surfing, where should a beginner go. Don't want to get killed and don't want to piss off the surfers who can actually surf...

There are plenty of large harbors that have small enough waves to learn on in Kauai.. of course there are other beaches that are just un-surfable.

The north shore is more advanced and the east and south sides are probably the best. :) I meant to try my hand at surfing but didnt get a chance to try it.

The Big Island is the only place with an active volcano. Do more research on it, because I think park services often blocks access to a lot of the observation points, so you might end up pretty disappointed.
In the summer the south shores are where the swells are and it reverses to the north shores in the winter months. I would get an instructor/school to learn to surf. They'll give you the right board and they'll be at the best place to learn. Surfers can be territorial at any beach, and unfortunately a lot of beach bums in Hawaii aren't particularly fond of tourists. An instructor and group setting might not be the most fun, but it'll probably be the most safe. Don't ever leave valuables in the car. Thieves love to target tourists because they almost never return to prosecute.

The best way to avoid any trouble is do your best to not look like a tourist. Of course you'll have a camera but if you have a huge SLR camera hanging around your neck all day and are snapping pictures of everything then yea you might look like a tourist :)

And do yourself a favor, PRE-TAN! Get a tan before you go so you will not get totally roasted under the sun. (especially if you fly a desk for a living by day and don't spend much time outside) :) I made this mistake and got burned the first time out. Then the days after that it was tanned. I saw so many people with bright pink skin for underestimating the power of the sun in Hawaii. Use as much sunscreen as you can. The spray on waterproof SPF70-80 works best. :biggrin:

Goto to Kauai, best island!

Got married on Poupoi beach last year! Grand Hyatt for the win!

The best way to avoid any trouble is do your best to not look like a tourist. Of course you'll have a camera but if you have a huge SLR camera hanging around your neck all day and are snapping pictures of everything then yea you might look like a tourist :)

And do yourself a favor, PRE-TAN! Get a tan before you go so you will not get totally roasted under the sun. (especially if you fly a desk for a living by day and don't spend much time outside) :) I made this mistake and got burned the first time out. Then the days after that it was tanned. I saw so many people with bright pink skin for underestimating the power of the sun in Hawaii. Use as much sunscreen as you can. The spray on waterproof SPF70-80 works best. :biggrin:

sage advice, indeed... fortunatley I roam the desert on foot most days of the week, so I'm good to go... my wife though... caspers sister!! fake and bake for her!!

Rob,

My vote is for Kauai, tropical paradise, if you don't mind a little rain. Lots to do with a baby in tow even.

I just got back Sunday night from Maui with the family (8 days) a little too long for me, I like my usual routine here. It was a good vacation, heli ride was cool, did the sub ride also and luau etc.

I agree with everyone on surfing and you can do that from any of the islands,
Volcanoes National Park is a trek to the lava flows, I know your in good shape but man its a hike and I wouldn't take the baby on your back cause your hiking on top of miles of crusted over lava and it flakes easily making it a little slippery and tricky to navigate. I was also a little worried about my wife making it back out, she was struggling (and no she is not old and fat!). If I did it again I'd definitely try it at night, a little cooler and the flows are more impressive, how many places in the world can you do that at.

I like luau's with fire incorporated in the show more than a truly authentic one, just my pyro side I guess.

Been to Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. All great places. My favorite activity I've ever done was on the Big Island.

Flumin' Da Ditch

It's an amazing 90 minute kayak tour on the water irrigation ditches up in the plantation areas and through the mountain tunnels. You don't have to paddle. Just coast down. Check the website. I can't put it in words but hopefully the website can. It's currently closed for repair but supposed to be open again toward the end of the year.

You can also hike to an active volcano on the same island. We are going to Maui in August but if I had to choose one island for my first trip, the Big Island would be it.

A few pics from my last trip to the Big Island and Maui

Big Island
Pololu Valley:
238019937_NBG8G-800x800.jpg

Place of Refuge:
241513158_VvH2U-800x800.jpg

Laupahoehoe Beach Park:
259561599_XZez6-800x800.jpg

Akaha Falls:
240044287_KcCFg-1200x1200.jpg

Green Sand Beach:
256996981_pgKys-800x800.jpg

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa:
236613865_8dikj-800x800.jpg

Waikoloa Beach:
253753278_ZVwZK-800x800.jpg

Waikoloa Beach (snorkeling):
245260938_6Ddyg-800x800.jpg

Mauna Kea (from Waikoloa Beach)
253760038_8r5Sk-800x800.jpg

Volcanoes National Park (in helicopter):
270603355_2BUFP-800x800.jpg

Maui
Haleakala:
342047619_qR29u-800x800.jpg

Maunalei Arboretum Trail (near Kapalua):
278996718_fUNM8-800x800.jpg

Last edited:
These are a few from Kauai:

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5530.jpg

IMG_5536.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some from a previous trip:
Oahu
Waikiki Beach:
304757163_RopCF-800x800.jpg

U.S.S. Arizona Memorial (Pearl Harbor):
304762397_VaRYo-800x800.jpg

U.S.S. Missouri (Pearl Harbor):
304767249_oeycS-800x800.jpg

Kahuku Shrimp Truck:
304770922_QXnVZ-800x800.jpg

Kahala Mandarin:
304773624_bgSNB-800x800.jpg

Diamond Head (from the Marriott):
304778255_tDHyW-800x800.jpg

Maui
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua at night:
304771807_Eufr8-800x800.jpg

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua by day:
304779382_QFFwQ-800x800.jpg

Kapalua:
304794930_bpGng-800x800.jpg

Haleakala ATV Tour:
304788628_Ad2kS-800x800.jpg

Kaanapali (from kayak):
304783124_UZCX2-800x800.jpg

Napili Bay:
304772657_87v3X-800x800.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input fellas, and the pics are amazing.

Lance, thanks for the info. Kuaui will probably win as my wife has been to Maui, albeit when she was younger. Yeah, she wouldn't be up for a super challenging hike either, she'd rather be on the beach with an little umbrella in her drink!!

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the input fellas, and the pics are amazing.

Lance, thanks for the info. Kuaui will probably win as my wife has been to Maui, albeit when she was younger. Yeah, she wouldn't be up for a super challenging hike either, she'd rather be on the beach with an little umbrella in her drink!!

Thanks again!

Stay at the Hyatt on Poipu Beach. Best spot on the Island IMHO.

Back