• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

input on vacation to Hawaii

Stay at the Hyatt on Poipu Beach. Best spot on the Island IMHO.

Poipu definitely has the best weather on Kauai. On our final day at the Hyatt, my wife and I (then on our honeymoon) decided to just enjoy the resort and the pool. By the evening, we wished we had spent more time relaxing at the hotel.

I'd post a pic from that stay, but those pics are from 1996 (pre-digital and not scanned).

Last edited:
I saw 3 Marriott resorts on Kauai... 2 in Linau (sp?) and one in Poipu. Anyone have first hand knowledge on any of these, ie recommendations? Are any of them sh!tholes?

Thanks

We stayed in the Aloha hotel near Aloha beach... it was pretty nice for the price!

I saw 3 Marriott resorts on Kauai... 2 in Linau (sp?) and one in Poipu. Anyone have first hand knowledge on any of these, ie recommendations? Are any of them sh!tholes?

Thanks

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu many years ago. Great place then and I'm sure it still is.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu many years ago. Great place then and I'm sure it still is.

yea its definitely swanky - I didnt stay there but walked around the resort when I was there a few weeks ago... Definitely a place I would stay next time. But I'm sure its more expensive than the Aloha Resort I stayed at. :biggrin:

I saw 3 Marriott resorts on Kauai

Did not stay at a Marriott on Kauai, but have to admit that the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa on the Big Island was quite nice.

I haven't been back to that Hyatt since 1996. At that time, it was the nicest hotel I had ever stayed at in my life. That said, I have since stayed at several Ritz-Carlton hotels. I wonder if my opinion will be different on my next visit....

Last edited:
I just booked a room at the Westin Princeville in Kauai. After reading this thread, I checked on the weather there. Looks like it rains EVERY day. hmmm.
Was this a nuisance for anyone?
I'm now thinking of switching to the Westin Ka'anapali in Maui
(I'm limited to Sheraton hotels)

it rains in hawaii every day in the winter time... thats why its called a tropical island... it gives the island great contrast IMO... it will only rain for 10-15 minutes and then the sun will come out. Don't pay too much attention to the weather forcast! :biggrin:

White 92,

Laurel and I had a special honeymoon in Maui and stayed at the Royal Lahaina which I highly recommend. Its within a beach walking distance to amazing snorkelling off Black Rock and close to all amenities...

PM and I can tell you more.

Cam

I just booked a room at the Westin Princeville in Kauai. After reading this thread, I checked on the weather there. Looks like it rains EVERY day. hmmm.
Was this a nuisance for anyone?
I'm now thinking of switching to the Westin Ka'anapali in Maui
(I'm limited to Sheraton hotels)
I believe that the average rainfall on Kauai is around 360" (about an inch a day) but I don't know where that's measured. If you're at a resort on the coarse, it shouldn't be a problem. I think the record is somewhere between 600 and 800" depending on who you believe. Our tour guide last year quoted a range of numbers. IMHO, Kauai is more remote and less developed compared to Maui. To me, comparing Kauai to Maui is like comparing Maui to Waikiki in terms of isolation/development. That's a relative comparison, not a negative one.

I believe that the average rainfall on Kauai is around 360" (about an inch a day) but I don't know where that's measured. If you're at a resort on the coarse, it shouldn't be a problem. I think the record is somewhere between 600 and 800" depending on who you believe. Our tour guide last year quoted a range of numbers. IMHO, Kauai is more remote and less developed compared to Maui. To me, comparing Kauai to Maui is like comparing Maui to Waikiki in terms of isolation/development. That's a relative comparison, not a negative one.

That measurement is on mount Waialeale. Princeville is on the windward side, which is wetter than Poipu. It is also a little cooler. Kauai isn't very big, so you can drive out of the rain in 15 minutes.

I really enjoy the Princeville area. It's quiet and relatively remote. Plenty of golf, hiking, horse rides and little used beaches. I haven't been in a few years, but they had a tiny airport where you could get helicopter tours.

If you want action and night-life, you probably would want Maui.

Sulley

Back