• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Insurance question

After having to replace one of my rims from running over one of those dome reflectors at 35mph...

Needless to say, I got my wheels insured... But from what I understand, its considered extra equipment to the insurance company... up to $2000... (to cover having to replace all the wheels if nesseccary) So does this mean that say if the in-dash radio failed, it would be included within this $2000 extra coverage? (even tho it may be a stock part) I'm trying to avoid asking the insurance company directly... but I will if I have to...

But from what I understand, its considered extra equipment to the insurance company...

Generally not true. Check out the FAQ section on this at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/ownership/insurance.htm Generally, insurance companies consider their coverage to extend to any street-legal mods that have been installed on the car. In the event of a claim, you will need to substantiate the value (save those receipts!). They may depreciate them though in determining reimbursement.

Obviously, it depends on the particular insurance company. Feel free to ask your agent - that's what he's there for.

My insurance company had an adjustor look at the car and decide the value. My monthly payments went up about $15-20 or so to insure $3500 rims and $3000 worth of stereo equipment. Make sure to have some backup with you to help the adjustor. I printed out prices on the cost of my rims and equipment piece by piece so I would get the right value for it in case something is stolen or damaged. I'm insured with Geico. They give you 25% off your premium just for being part of the NMFA or similar group. $15 a year membership. go figure.

Back