• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is 97+ NSX worth the money?

Hi,

I am trying to rationalize myself whether 97 and up NSXs are worth $20k (or more) over earlier models with smaller engine. If I go ahead with earlier models (probably 91-93), I get to keep my current car (98 740il).
If I go ahead with a 97+ NSX, I have to sell my current car.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

I would say it is definitely worth it in terms of value. There were a huge number of changes in 97.

That said, I think you would be better off keeping your BMW and getting a 91-93.

The value is there on the 97+, but I always think it is better to keep a second, more practical, car around when you own a sports car.

If these items are of considerable valuable to you, a '97+ is probably worth it:

* Stiffest available -T top
* 6-speed
* A color not available prior to 1997

Otherwise, it's probably not. If you want an automatic, or aren't big on the -T then I think very, very few people would find much in a '97+ car that they would consider worth an extra $20k+

If you have to sell your 740il which is worth I believe somewhere around $30k for a typical '98, I'd consider that a big strike against getting the '97+ NSX.

For the difference between the $30k you'll get out of your 740il and the additional cost of a '97+ NSX, you are probably going to have less than $10k left, which isn't enough money left over to get what I would consider a decent, versatile, comfortable daily driver (especially coming from a 740il!). That to me is a big red flag that it's probably not a good idea to go that route.

Don't forget the 290 hp and bigger brakes!

That said, I wouldn't sell the 740il just to get a 97+. I have a 97 and think it is well worth the premium over an older model, but I would rather have the older model and a newer Bimmer if I had to choose between the two. I, personally wouldn't want the NSX as my only car. You need a nice luxury sedan sometimes.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 16 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 16 March 2002).]

I agree with all of the above posts, also don't forget you can always add a Basch Boost supercharger later on. You will end up with better performance than a '97 NSX.

Thanks a lot guys!!
You truly are the best car enthusiasts..

I will let you know what I end up with. Would you say that I should look for the lowest milege ones? If a car has lower milege than others, does that necessarily mean it's in a good condition? For instance, if I can find 91 with 30k miles and 92 or 93 with 50-60k miles, should I go for 91 model?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Tiger740:
Would you say that I should look for the lowest milege ones?

Yes and no.

If a car has lower milege than others, does that necessarily mean it's in a good condition?

No, not necessarily.

For instance, if I can find 91 with 30k miles and 92 or 93 with 50-60k miles, should I go for 91 model?

No, not necessarily.

All other things being equal, lower mileage is better than higher mileage. But all other things are never equal. Mileage is important. So is the general condition of the car. So is how well it's been maintained. So is price.

A '92 with 50K miles may be in better condition and have been better maintained than a '91 with 20K miles. Or, the '91 might be in better condition. There are '91's that are in better shape than '97's - not all of them, but some of them. And one car's price may be a better reflection of its condition and history than another.

It's impossible to generalize. You'll need to evaluate specific cars based on what each one has to offer and how much it is selling for. Start looking at specific cars in your price range and you'll get an idea of just how much they can vary from each other.

Differences of 20K miles are not all that meaningful. But (depending on your needs and price category) you might wish to get a moderate mileage car and narrow your search by eliminating all cars with more than X thousand miles (whatever X works best for you). You will certainly want to narrow your search in some way, rather than look at all 100+ NSX's that are on the market at any time. Mileage, transmission, color, body (NSX-T vs coupe), year, price, etc. Think of what your needs are, and then start shopping.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 March 2002).]

Thanks a lot!
It sounds like I need to pay a lot of attention to many details. Nevertheless, I am sure that the joy of finding the right one will at least compensate for all the time and effort that I put in.

Thanks for the advise.

My opinion...you can never have enough toys (cars).

Get the earlier model NSX, and keep the BMW.
Want luxury, you have the BMW, want looks and handling, you then have the NSX.

Drive the NSX for a while, then if really like it, move up to the 97+ model.

Have fun!

Back