• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Basch Boost supercharger bad???

peiserg said:
there's a thread floating around here somewhere where (I think it's B&TNB) says he had a low boost gj turbo put on his 60XXX mile engine, which lasted a relatively short period of time. In the thread he never states any previous mods to his engine. He also does not cast blame (nor do i btw). My post is not to say anyone with an engine failure is himself a failure. Simply to illustrate that all vendors have had engines fail.

I think the reasonable interpretation & inference from your previous post (whether intended or not) and again re-inforced by your comments above, is that those FI suppliers named have had problems because of their boost systems.

Fact - that engine had a NSXModified turbo - saw it with my own eyes - biggest POS that ever graced an NSX. (no insult to B&T - he's publicly acknowledged that himself)

The quoted coments below were recognized before the turbo was even added.

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
... The power i'm lookin for depends on whether we can use the stock bottom end or if its thrashed from the NSX Mortified's 20,000 mile run.

... Gerry has my car tuned very conservatively since the previous setup was on there for 20,000 miles with pretty much improper everything, so he didn't want to go too overboard, we are running like 6.5 pounds for right now.

... Even with conservative timing and fairly low boost to spare my poor abused motor, the car is one hell of a snappy little go kart!

MiamieNeSeX said:
Who's counting?
Mark Basch :biggrin:

----------------------------------------------------------

Mark Basch's favorite reality check.

Last edited:
Yes Guys, its absolutely true that my stock engine was thrashed as the quotes pointed out.

how much was the motor rebuild?

My stock engine was severely worn by the NSX modified single turbo kit I had on it for 2 years\20000 miles. The kit never worked right, it had no intercooler, it had negligible timing retardation(?), crappy air\fuel, and an unknown number of jackasses 'test-driving' it for the 4 to 6 months that larry garcia of nsx modified had posession of it for the "install\tune".

Essentially the death of the motor was a 1-2 punch. The NSX mortified 'system' washed the rings, cooked the inside of the engine with ultra-hot intake temps, and undoubtedly detonation caused metal fatigue in the stock pistons.

By the time good ol' GJ put on a well designed system with good A\F, timing, intercooler, aquamist, the 340 RWHP it put down also had the effect of breaking loose the already cracking ring lands on the stock motor.

For the record, it blew up the day after I had done a 1-2-3-4 gear almost redline run, she ran like a top with no detonation or any problems, but that was the first time since I had gotten the car back FROM NSX MODIFIED that I had (almost) redlined it. I was always scared to go much over 5500 - 6000 with the garcia pile on top of the engine. So its quite possible that even with no GJ on there it would have blown the ringland simply THE NEXT TIME I REDLINED IT.

As for rebuild, that 3.2 isn't rebuilt. Its in GJ's shop, I may sell to an interested buyer as-is.

My new 3.0 thats in the car with full GJ everything and then some was around $13K installed with 10 hours of cleaning added in free (had to be there).

The car now runs like a top, I have just around 2000 miles on the new engine with the second oil change of non-detergent kendall (GJ's break-in oil for chrome ring motors). In another 600 miles, I will drive up to modesto(add 400 miles) to change the oil to regular (kendall 10W-40 GT1) and a dyno tuning (the car can be ran to redline on the dyno after the 3000 mile break-in)

We changed to cable throttle, it made a huge difference. A couple of times I have slightly overboosted to aroun 13 or 14 PSI, pretty f@ckin snappy and thats with a baseline TEC3 program with conservative everything.

So anyway its been a long expensive journey but I'm glad the path led to GJ, if it didn't I am sure I would still be slow and miserable. However I do have a feeling there are some up-and-comers in the FI big dog arena, I have a feeling Mo is about to make a nice piece.

Thanks;

Wolfie

However I do have a feeling there are some up-and-comers in the FI big dog arena, I have a feeling Mo is about to make a nice piece.

Thanks;

Wolfie

Very informative, Thank you. As for the FI Big Dogs coming in, Im getting ready to bark loud myself so stay tuned. Thanks again for the write up,

Michael

By the way is that you in your avitar with Lil John? Love that Gobblet!

Yeah I ran into LJ at the PH's afterparty in the hard rock bowling suite following the billboard awards in january. Gotta rock the chalice!

I got a pic with FLAVA FLAV too . . amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!

Yeah I ran into LJ at the PH's afterparty in the hard rock bowling suite following the billboard awards in january. Gotta rock the chalice!

I got a pic with FLAVA FLAV too . . amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!

Great, not too impressed by Flava Flav; especially after the whole Bridgette Neilson thing but Lil John is great. Yeah!

92NSX said:
Honestly, AndyV's car being fixed FOC by them is the first time I've ever heard of them doing it. Has been my understanding that they didn't/wouldn't cover engine damage as a resulting of the installation of their product.

That is not correct. They gave him a new SC. There was no engine damage. The second time I think there might have been, but he paid for that.

Nonetheless, they didn't have to help him at all, but they did.

Back