• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Basch Boost supercharger bad???

With proper tuning; and only after proper tuning- ive heard great things. Very cost effective solution for FI compared with the comptech or gruppe m systems :wink:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
With proper tuning; and only after proper tuning- ive heard great things. Very cost effective solution for FI compared with the comptech or gruppe m systems :wink:
From your perspective, why did you decide to buy the CTSC?

Timpo said:
They say there are 14 NSX died because of Basch Boost supercharger.
I was one of the dead. Those deaths are pretty much from a defective, early generation split second box ecu controller. It was replaced with a ssbb that correctly controls the timing (with proper tuning).

KGP said:
From your perspective, why did you decide to buy the CTSC?

reliabilty and because I have a wholesale account from Comptech :biggrin:

With proper tuning, the kit is a lot of fun. It lacks the low-end TQ of the CTSC, but from 5000 rpm and up, there is no comparison in my book.

Not actually Basch's fault at all, but when a Novi 2000 lets go it takes a motor with it...

Elite said:
Not actually Basch's fault at all, but when a Novi 2000 lets go it takes a motor with it...

another reason I went with the comptech unit :biggrin:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
another reason I went with the comptech unit :biggrin:

I thought the same was true of the CTSC if it seized?

NetViper said:
I thought the same was true of the CTSC if it seized?

Now your scaring me! Is this common... Im not going crazy with the power adders. Only the cantrell ACIS, comptech header and exhaust and the supercharger... Any thing else I should do to prevent this problem from ever occuring?

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Now your scaring me! Is this common... Im not going crazy with the power adders. Only the cantrell ACIS, comptech header and exhaust and the supercharger... Any thing else I should do to prevent this problem from ever occuring?

From my knowledge, it is not common, but neither is NOVI2000's causing engines to go bad.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:

You can't prevent it but rather hope it never happens to you. I believe AndyV had a CTSC take out his once for sure. Maybe twice, would have to ask him for confirmation of that.
By and large though, tuning is the vital key.

Elite said:

Hmm. Now just off the top of my head, I know of two people who lost the engine on a CTSC boosted engine, DIRECTLY related to the SC. This is not to bash the CT, since i think it is a brilliantly executed SC. This is only to show that while the CT has less of the reputation for blowing motors, don't think it's impossible, or even unlikely. In fact, unless I am mistaken, Andy Vecsey lost TWO motors directly from the CTSC. Nothing to do with tuning, which is usually the culprit (tho not always) with the bbsc.

I'm not trying to downplay any previous problems with the bbsc. I'm fortunate to live near Mark Basch, which enabled him to tune my car to his satisfaction. And about 40% of the time I stopped by his shop, he was rebuilding a blown motor, and the majority of the time, it was NOT from a bbsc related failure. In fact, though i did not keep a tally, a number of the time, the motors were blown CTSC cars. and a fair # of NA cars.

Don't play unless you can pay. All the reputable (and non-reputable) FI guys have had engine failures. GJ, FX, Basch, CT, Larry (doh! sorry to dredge up a bad memory).

What was the cause of Andy's engine failure? Andy if your here please chime in :wink:

Timpo said:
They say there are 14 NSX died because of Basch Boost supercharger.

http://botchedboost.com/home

Did you guys have any problems with Basch Boost? :confused:

One hting to keep in mind regarding the Dali website is that Mark Johnson has (obviously) no love lost for Mark basch. So take that under consideration when you look at the website info under Dali.

I'm personally very happy with my bbsc. Mark Basch has gone out of his way, multiple times to answer my questions, tune my car, troubleshoot issues, and warranty a couple items. The car idles and drives as stock, other than at WOT. No stall issues, no cold start issues, and dependable performance to boot. I think there are in the neighborhood of 170+/- BBSC's floating around out there, FWIW. You only hear from a small percentage of the owners on prime, for better or worse.
If you don't tune the car, expect trouble, and don't whine when it happens.

peiserg said:
One hting to keep in mind regarding the Dali website is that Mark Johnson has (obviously) no love lost for Mark basch. So take that under consideration when you look at the website info under Dali.

I'm personally very happy with my bbsc. Mark Basch has gone out of his way, multiple times to answer my questions, tune my car, troubleshoot issues, and warranty a couple items. The car idles and drives as stock, other than at WOT. No stall issues, no cold start issues, and dependable performance to boot. I think there are in the neighborhood of 170+/- BBSC's floating around out there, FWIW. You only hear from a small percentage of the owners on prime, for better or worse.
If you don't tune the car, expect trouble, and don't whine when it happens.

Timpo,

I love my BBSC now. I was one of the early adopters and had my motor damaged by the original kit. Mark's insurance paid him for repairs (low comp) and the car runs quite well now. ( I had upgraded to AEM, N2K ). However, the car sat in the garage for 5 months waiting for Mark to accept the car, then another 7 months at his garage. During those 12 months, communication was poor, intentions changed, I thought this was unacceptable, but bit my lip and took it like a man. It was a pretty stressful time.

Overall .. if done correctly, the BBSC can yield lots for power and fun. Mark is a great guy with a big heart and will try to do whatever he can for you, unfortunately, his intentions and time management skills are inversely proportional. Since I bought the system, about 85% of my calls are not returned. It was a customer service nightmare in my opinion. A few have had wonderful experiences. I'm not one of them. So, the only suggestion I can make to you, is to make sure you have someone you trust who can support your system locally.

I know a lot of BaschBoost victims bitched and moaned about it, but I sat back and tried to keep my emotions out of it. So the infomation I provide here is based off of fact and not feeling.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please PM as to prevent flames.

Get a good tuner and you should be fine.

Alient

What was the cause of Andy's engine failure? Andy if your here please
chime in.

Andy is suspended from PRIME, thus he has no posting privileges. By his
request, I am posting this on his behalf.

If you have a specific questions about the engine rebuild that Andy paid for
out of his own pocket. He can be reached at [email protected].

Armando

PS Based on his email address looks like he traded his car for a set of golf clubs.

MiamieNeSeX said:
What was the cause of Andy's engine failure? Andy if your here please
chime in.

Andy is suspended from PRIME, thus he has no posting privileges. By his
request, I am posting this on his behalf.

If you have a specific questions about the engine rebuild that Andy paid for
out of his own pocket. He can be reached at [email protected].

Armando,

Do you know of any safe guards to try and prevent detenation? By the way, gossip it up on why Andy got bounced from Prime... Many a minds want to know! :eek:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Armando,

Do you know of any safe guards to try and prevent detenation?

A) Good Tuning
B) Better bank account

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
By the way, gossip it up on why Andy got bounced from Prime... Many a minds want to know! :eek:

Sorry I dont kiss and tell :)

Armando

peiserg said:
....Don't play unless you can pay. All the reputable (and non-reputable) FI guys have had engine failures. GJ, FX, Basch, CT, Larry ...
What are you basing your claim of engine failures against GJ?
I know of two engines he has re-built after having his turbo installed, but both of these engines were extremely suspect & mitigated by damage already done because of prior installations of
a) a BBSC (with the "old" SS box)
b) an "NSXModified" turbo - that engine was already hurting before the GJ kit was even installed. That one was already a time-bomb.

Both of these were running low boost under caution from Gerry. Both had kits installed on "as-is" engines without any motor work done to correct past sins. I think both owners knew the limitations associated because of the prior systems & I believe neither would blame the new kit as being responsible. (Jump-in owners, if you're reading) It was extremely magnanimous of Gerry to even consider installing his kit on these engines because of the high risk of such a suggestion forthcoming as the resultant problems being attributed to his kit. Both owners subsequently did the "full GJ engine rebuild treatment" and took advantage of being able to run 15+lbs of boost.
From the very outset, GJ's kit has had an excellent engine management system and more importantly the tuning to utilize it effectively.
I think it's unfortunate if there is an inference that his kit has actually caused engine failure - there is nothing to support that suggestion.

D'Ecosse said:
What are you basing your claim of engine failures against GJ?
I know of two engines he has re-built after having his turbo installed, but both of these engines were extremely suspect & mitigated by damage already done because of prior installations of
a) a BBSC (with the "old" SS box)
b) an "NSXModified" turbo - that engine was already hurting before the GJ kit was even installed. That one was already a time-bomb.

Both of these were running low boost under caution from Gerry. Both had kits installed on "as-is" engines without any motor work done to correct past sins. I think both owners knew the limitations associated because of the prior systems & I believe neither would blame the new kit as being responsible. (Jump-in owners, if you're reading) It was extremely magnanimous of Gerry to even consider installing his kit on these engines because of the high risk of such a suggestion forthcoming as the resultant problems being attributed to his kit. Both owners subsequently did the "full GJ engine rebuild treatment" and took advantage of being able to run 15+lbs of boost.
From the very outset, GJ's kit has had an excellent engine management system and more importantly the tuning to utilize it effectively.
I think it's unfortunate if there is an inference that his kit has actually caused engine failure - there is nothing to support that suggestion.

there's a thread floating around here somewhere where (I think it's B&TNB) says he had a low boost gj turbo put on his 60XXX mile engine, which lasted a relatively short period of time. In the thread he never states any previous mods to his engine. He also does not cast blame (nor do i btw). My post is not to say anyone with an engine failure is himself a failure. Simply to illustrate that all vendors have had engines fail.

Moron said:
I know there were two seized CTSCs on his engine; however, I think there was only one engine rebuild.

I think comptech replaced his first SC even though it was out of warranty. That was pretty nice of them. They didn't have to help him out at all techincally, but they came through.

NetViper said:
I think comptech replaced his first SC even though it was out of warranty. That was pretty nice of them. They didn't have to help him out at all techincally, but they came through.

gotta love that comptech customer support :wink:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
gotta love that comptech customer support :wink:

Good that they did take care of him but I wouldn't count on it if something bad does happen.
Like someone has posted already, MB has repaired many cars with the CTSC on it where the owner was coughing up the $$.
Honestly, AndyV's car being fixed FOC by them is the first time I've ever heard of them doing it. Has been my understanding that they didn't/wouldn't cover engine damage as a resulting of the installation of their product.

Back