• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it possible to get that new car interior smell?

I'm buying a 91 or 92 NSX that I intend on updating to look like an 05 model. You know, like with the bumper an headlights. Also reupholster the leather seats to look like the 05 models as well as updating the center console, knobs and buttons to try an make it look like it just came off the assembly line.

My question is, has anyone discovered a way to imitate that knew car smell? From what I understand it's the glue, plastic, leather, etc... that gives it that smell.

Has anyone found a way of duplicating that smell?

Seriously though, I've tried a lot of those "new car smell" AIR-FRESHNERs that you buy at auto stores and they couldn't smell more unlike what they claim to.

The new leather should help a little. From what I've read, it's the new plastics, glue, etc.. that give cars that great smell. I suppose I could re carpet the interior and that might help some as well.

I was just hoping someone might know of an air freshener that someone on here has used or any method in general, that could come close to reproducing that off the assembly line smell.

I've used a number of store bought "new car" sprays and not one has ever even came close. If it's impossible to recreate that smell then so be it. I was just hoping someone on here may have stumbled upon a technique to reproduce that "new car" smell.

Thanks

Yeah I just read up on it as well, and they said that most of the new smell are plastics and glue gassing out which is toxic :eek:

edit: i also forgot to mention that some people are willing to even put a piece of new vinyl/ pvc or a piece of cardboard with goop on it to give it that smell. now thats just plain nuts!!

Last edited:
Take a small food storage container, punch some holes in the lid, put a blob of 3M windshield sealant inside, and stash it under the seat.

Go to a leather or upholstery shop and get a bunch of their remnants. Lay them across your dash in the sun and close all windows and vents. After that, wet them a little, put them in a burlap bag and store it behind your passenger seat. Ummmmm, fresh leather.
Happy Motoring!

Well, my car should smell like a new car by the time I'm done. I am replacing the seats, dash, carpets, door panels and all trims with new ones - if that does not do it - nothing will.

If it makes you feel better, the new car smell is from off-gassing of the glues and other chemicles that is technically not the best thing for you to be breathing in...maybe that is why it is so intoxicating.

ahh the good old days...

I used to work at a local car wash (Danny's here in Phoenix), and we had bottles of new car smell to spray as we vacuumed. 2 squirts per side, under the seats. My joke used to be that i would pour literally half the bottle (300 squirts? 400?) under each seat. those cars probably STILL smell new, even 20 years later. I used to go through 15-20 bottles per day. The managers could never figure out where all the stuff was dissapearing to.

Hell, for $3.35/hr... what did they expect?

My joke used to be that i would pour literally half the bottle (300 squirts? 400?) under each seat. those cars probably STILL smell new, even 20 years later.

The Chemical Guys have a version

http://www.chemicalguys.com/New_car_air_freshener_p/air_101_16.htm

Have that new car smell forever.

Actually, I puchased some, hoping to keep that new car smell. I tried it in my DD. I didn't tell my wife, but when she rode in the car, she noticed a strange smell, but new car smell didn't come to her mind.

I should go out and smell it again. I haven't used it since.

The best way, may be to get some of the 3M stuff mentioned above and leave it open behind the seat or under the dash.

- Rod

CALL ME CRAZY, but here is what happened with me once.

I was @ Burger King, went do a number ONE, bathroom smelled strong @ Ammonia/Urine .. for some reason, mixed with the strong smell of their french fries / or w/e Burger King smell, resulted on a INCREDIBLY almost perfect "new car smell" ..... I was stunned ... and of course, confused.

Why? ... must be something with the chemicals / smells mixed ,,, but I SWEAR smelled like a new car in there .... which was weird as hell because I was freaking analyzing smells @ a stinky bathroom .... I hope there was a way to capture smell .. If I did, I'd be GAZZILIONAIRE

CALL ME CRAZY, but here is what happened with me once.

I was @ Burger King, went do a number ONE, bathroom smelled strong @ Ammonia/Urine .. for some reason, mixed with the strong smell of their french fries / or w/e Burger King smell, resulted on a INCREDIBLY almost perfect "new car smell" ..... I was stunned ... and of course, confused.

Why? ... must be something with the chemicals / smells mixed ,,, but I SWEAR smelled like a new car in there .... which was weird as hell because I was freaking analyzing smells @ a stinky bathroom .... I hope there was a way to capture smell .. If I did, I'd be GAZZILIONAIRE

French fries and urine . . . Awesome!

Anyway, yes, the new car smell is bad. The entire car is bad for you! Infact, in California, they put a stick on all new cars in the driverside window. It's funny to me that most people never think to peel it off after they get it.:confused:
warning.jpg

French fries and urine . . . Awesome!

Anyway, yes, the new car smell is bad. The entire car is bad for you! Infact, in California, they put a stick on all new cars in the driverside window. It's funny to me that most people never think to peel it off after they get it.:confused:
warning.jpg

Yes that new car smell is actually toxic.... lol

to get the new car smell the trick is......

get new leather.

My NSX still had a faint new smell its a 1992.

but like so many other NSX that old the driver bolster was bad. so when I
got my new leather from Leatherseats.com that smell I was looking for Returned.

and the newer look seats? huh. the seats are all the same. if you mean
perferated centers. then yes they are different.

read this article that I have posted to Potential New owners

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html

read it print it and live by it.

dont worry about miles if its had its updates, timing belt, Water pump, valve adjusments and depending on the Age of your NSX the coolant hoses

Last edited:
call me crazy, but here is what happened with me once.

I was @ burger king, went do a number one, bathroom smelled strong @ ammonia/urine .. For some reason, mixed with the strong smell of their french fries / or w/e burger king smell, resulted on a incredibly almost perfect "new car smell" ..... I was stunned ... And of course, confused.

ftw!

one way to sort of get that new car smell back is to use zaino leather cleaner/conditioner..

with a lot of stuff inside the car being leather, that brought back some of that smell.

i've read that the jdm nsx market buyers hated that new car smell we have all grown to love and they used different glues and what not in order to get rid of that smell.

when i first got my nsx it smelled like my DA integra i had in high school haha :tongue:

Earlier in the year I sold my '94 Legend Coupe 6-speed which had just turned 20k original miles. That car still smelled just like a brand new Legend smelled, even after 16 years. It was amazing. Having worked at an Acura dealership in college, I remember that the Legends had a very particular new car smell, and this car was a time capsule back to that time. It was amazing. I ended up selling it because I just did not have the heart to drive it since the car was literally as new, and had only ever seen rain a couple of times in its life. I miss that car from time to time.

http://wonderwafers.com/storecanisterpaks.html

Wonderwafers in "Leather" keep my cars smelling like they have brand new leather in them!

I use two wafers and put them under my driver's seat.

They last about one month and keep the inside of the car smelling like fresh leather.

They are really inexpensive!

I haven't tried any of the other scents.

Last edited:
I've used Griot's Leather Scent and it was actually very pleasant and smelled like new leather...at least for a month. Put it on a paper towel/cloth and leave under the seats. IT WORKS!!:redface:

I use the Zaino leather cleaner (2 step process) and people always comment that i have that "new car smell" when they get in. It does smell pretty close and smells pretty good as well.

Back