• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it worth modifying an Auto NSX?

Has anyone modified an automatic NSX? Is there any real power gain? Expensive? Can the auto tranny take more power?

------------------
One day at a time...

The cams are less aggressive and the redline is lower. Net net, if you want a manual tranny, buy one, price difference is near none, and resale is better.

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

I think he was asking whether it's worth doing engine and exhaust type modifications while keeping the automatic, not whether it's worth modifying by swapping out the automatic for a manual transmission. (Although that's a good answer to a good question, too.)

Can the auto tranny take more power?

Probably, but probably not while maintaining reliability. Otherwise, why would they have de-tuned the engine to 252 hp instead of the full 270-290 hp?

Perhaps Honda thinks the average auto NSX customer is looking for a different driving experience? They tuned it so the peak HP is lower but the low-end torque is higher. The redline is a little lower too. Maybe the thinking is that auto owners are more likely to tool around town than spend a lot of time near redline at the track? Just a theory!

I guess 7000 rpm is the most the tranny can take. There has to be a limit! Sure shifts good at those rpm though. I only hate it when accelerating through a high speed sweeper at 160km on the way to 180km and the tranny shifts from third to forth. Good thing this turn is banked.

To answer the thread as an automatic owner I say yes. My only concern is exactly the same, will the transmission take it? I think the answer yes but not at higher RPMS which is why the redline is lower. I also believe Honda thought the owner of an automatic is probably looking for a different experience.

Now for those of you who have never driven one.... my 95T shifts as fast as the majority of manual drivers out there and never misses a gear. It downshifts faster and easier than a manual in corners.

I've driven both 5 and 6 speed NSXs. They are more fun to drive than the automatic, no question. The gearing is not as good as the manuals because hell you've only got 4 gears. If the automatic was a 5 or 6 speed it would be in my opinion as much fun as the manual 5 or 6 speed and easier to drive fast on tracks. (BTW I also had the lucky experience to ride shotgun in a Ferrari 360 with the F1. The F1 will make you want an automatic as it even blips the throttle when down shifting to make sure the revs are matched.)

So I think increasing the power on the automatic makes sense and has similar down sides that a manual does. The upgrade to make the automatic bullet proof from level 10 is about $3k. This only makes sense if you're going to put twin turbos on it. I'm still undecided on the supercharger mod. But headers, exhaust, chip, suspension, etc. - my answer is yes. BTW I think a chip needs to be specifically designed for the automatic.

BTW for Portland International the gearing is almost perfect as it's a 2 gear track for me. The straights run about 115 and the turns between 60 to 70. So in the turns I'm pushing around 5000 rpm which is perfect for coming out of the turns into the straights. 2nd shifts around 80+ and 3rd tops out around 120. Going into turns it's like driving go-karts - focus on lines and driving versus learning how shift.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 02 February 2001).]

Sometimes mods are done for differant reasons. If you just want more sounds from your baby, then add an exhaust and K&N filter-charger. You will notice some extra punch, but the sound will be great.

Just my 2 cents...

------------------
For more NSX content in your life, please visit www.nsxsc.com and the new NSXSC forums at www.nsxsc.com/bios

thanks for your help! I think I'll stick with
the exhaust and the filtercharger for now.

I talked to comptech about modifying an automatic car. They told me that they installed the comptech supercharger on a few automatic NSXs and the tranny handles the power just fine. So far these owners have not experienced any tranny problems yet. They did however tell me that the drivetrain loss on an automatic car is a lot more than a manual, so the car makes alot less power to the wheels than a similar manual NSX with the same mods.

Ryan

I thought the lower horsepower availability in an auto tranny vs manual was because of the added rotating mass in the autotranny not a detune thing.Is that really true in the NSX because the reason for rear wheel power loss in lets say a mustang GT auto vs mustang GT manual is primarily because the added wieght of rotating mass created by the automatic tranny. })

------------------

I don't think the auto was detuned for the reasons given so far. I believe the power curve was adjusted to handle the torque convertor. With an auto you need to have a lower idle than with a manual to accommodate the slipping required. Thus why the cams are different.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 11 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 11 January 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
Is the cams and redline the only thing that is different with the automatic? Is there any info on NSX Prime as to what is different.

As far as I been able to find out with respect to the engine plus the ECU is programed differently. So 1/2 second slower in the 1/4 with 18 less hp, 44 lbs more weight (91 manual to 91 auto) and slightly different gearing. So a resident drag expert (dwartz??) can figure out the losses through the trany plus initial launch loss from slippage of convertor (also provides weak trap results).

Has anyone on here tried to replace the cams and reprogram the ECU? To the effect of ending up with the same power as the manual. I know theres other ways to do it, E/I/H. Has anyone just tried to make it the same as the Manual?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just trade the automatic in for a manual transmission car.

I know, but some people either don't know how to drive a stick or just prefer the automatic. Everyone loves more horsepower.

Does an automatic NSX offer the same driving enjoyment as a manual NSX?
smile.gif

As someone who has never been in an NSX, much less driven one, does it feel like its any "less" of an NSX beacuse its an automatic?

oh yeah, a big difference between manuael and auto trans.

beyond the visceral feeling of control that a manual gives, (which should not be underrated), the manual, in my experience, feels much better. is it faster, i dont know, but it sure seemed like it.

the auto will shift when it does, and the manuel when you want to, which is the most fun in my opinion.

by concept an auto is always better from a perormaance standpoint.

either way, im havin way too much fun in my nsx(manuel)

Originally posted by nd4spd:
Does an automatic NSX offer the same driving enjoyment as a manual NSX?
smile.gif

As someone who has never been in an NSX, much less driven one, does it feel like its any "less" of an NSX beacuse its an automatic?

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000112.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000143.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000550.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001257.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001862.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002027.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002439.html

Remember, the search function is your friend.
wink.gif

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
Has anyone on here tried to replace the cams and reprogram the ECU? To the effect of ending up with the same power as the manual. I know theres other ways to do it, E/I/H. Has anyone just tried to make it the same as the Manual?

I don't know of anyone who's changed the cams or had the ECU reprogramed for an automatic. There are auto's with SC and turbos out there but I don't know what they are achieving for power.

Some thoughts:
The issue with the auto is that it can't take the high rpms. That's why the engine is tuned the way it is. HP is not an issue. The 3.2 engined tuned for torque would make a better match.

An interesting engine to look at for compairson is the AMG SLK 32 which uses a screw type blower (Japanese), an inter cooler and an on demand clutch to engage the supercharger. Power comes in at much lower rpm. The whole set up is matched to an automatic. A very compact installation. The routing of the plumbing very interesting.

I believe the Comptec blower is a bit too small air flow wise for the top end. I understand the desire to provide low end torque, but that was no reason to choke off the top.

Originally posted by NSXdreamer:
Has anyone modified an automatic NSX? Is there any real power gain? Expensive? Can the auto tranny take more power?

Woops! The PC took control before I finished.
My only disappointment with the 2002 NSX is that Honda did not put a modern Auto-Stick in the car---the one in the CL-S or the new 911 is much better. Faster shifts, engine matched downshifts, 5 spds, immediate upshifts at red line. The existing is the only part of the NSX which has really aged---tranmissions have improved greatly, and the NSX needs one for some of us with healthy egos and no inferiority complexes, who just plain like the racing-car options of a GOOD auto-shifter. The present one is fine, but has limitations for smooth operation---

Final thoughts---I wish 'someone' would design some pieces for the NSX-Auto that would give healthy doses of power lower down--the present stuff is designed for the 8100 manual! KIWI

An auto SportsShift----is it any less an NSX. Of course not! They are still magnificant fast cars---not as good on the track as the manual OF COURSE, but for fast highway and curvy stuff the Shift is great. I just do not have this wierd hangup about autos! Wake up guys! All serious racing cars have some form of auto-seqential shifters for very obvious reasons, fewer blown engines and clutches, and more driver control. eg the CL-S Coupe is a beautiful shifter, as is the 911-teptronic. You can do things that a manual driver just cannot do that fast and smooth--and you are still in control and driving! Electro-mechanical shifters on manuals are going to give us back the loss of power from the torque converters--- I bought my NSX Auto-SportsShift bacause of an exceptional $ opportunity and have never regretted it. If you have the chance,and the $ are right buy one. I think i use more power and speed on any given day as it is SO USABLE. Most people can't drive manuals very well anyway--

Cheers---KIWI

Back