• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this worth it? 96 NSX-T Brooklyns Green 60k miles

Hello everyone. I am a S2000 owner looking to buy an NSX for potential long term or temporary ownership. I am looking at this car more of an investment so please keep this in mind. I am looking to purchase an NSX-T 96, Brooklyns green with tan interior, around 60k miles. I have attached pictures. He is an older guy who claims to have done the work by himself until recently. Overall, the car looks in good shape, but does need maintenance work. my fellow friend who is a mechanic found that these are needed.
  1. EPS, coolant overflow, spark plugs, valve cover, valve lash, timing belt service (optional includes timing belt, tensioner, pulley, water pump)

EPS seems to be the most concerning part. The EPS light is on. While turning the steering wheel in low speeds, it seems like youre trying to move a 200 lb wheel. Its incredibly heavy, but it releases as you start rolling. I dont know how you can drive in tight corners with this EPS not working. Also he claims he was rear ended and the paint is literally chipping off, but the bumper looks fine.

Is this car worth $50k? Im looking to fix it up and sell it to get into a cleaner nsx. My nsx mechanic says he could do all of the work mentioned above except for the body work for $5k. Im stuck at a rock and a hard place. I have to make a decision by wednesday.

2F20050C-B77D-47F6-9BE8-E08B08ECDD53.jpeg

Attachments

• E6B239CC-D837-4674-8488-09399CFB64FE.jpeg
    E6B239CC-D837-4674-8488-09399CFB64FE.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 26
  • CC01D03C-39E0-4B86-8E8C-50E2E2F6BC96.jpeg
    CC01D03C-39E0-4B86-8E8C-50E2E2F6BC96.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 26
The EPS not working is probably the most problematic of an issue, the other stuff are just maintenance related.
The rear bumper just seem to be a bad paint job.
You are looking at appox $3-4K in overdue maintenance, I would also make sure the clutch is working properly as this is costly. Take these things into consideration, with your negotiations on the price.

Bram

I think that's priced about right. You could probably split the repair costs and come in closer to a benefit for you. The EPS could be something as simple as a ground/electrical connection, or the rack might need to be removed and rebuilt.

This thread has a google docs link which might help.

No I would hard pass on any NSX like this. It would have to be $30k-$40k for it to be worth it to me. There's no way an NSX with all those issues and accident history would be an investment. Anytime someone says I've been rear ended that sends huge red flags, I would want to know every single detail of the accident and the repair. Most people buying accident NSXs and auto NSXs are ones not looking to keep the car original and have some mods or engine swaps in mind.

Also I feel like I've seen multiple posts around the internet on this car, so you're probably not the first person to have passed on it, just lowball him and move on if he doesn't bite.

Always buy the best car you can afford, and remember your time is valuable too.

"I dont know how you can drive in tight corners with this EPS not working. " - then you definitely should pass on purchasing an early production car that did not have EPS

If you had access to the car you may be able to determine the nature of the EPS problem by using the service check connector to trigger the display of stored EPS error codes. The codes might give you an idea as to where the problem is located - in the rack or in the controller

The 1996 has the later (but not the last revision) style EPS controller. No longer available in North America; but, they still appear to be available through Amayama for about $1000. The EPS controller has a design problem with the traces on the circuit board where the power relays are mounted burn off. This is repairable for less than $100 if you are handy with a soldering iron.

The EPS rack assembly is unavailable in North America and Amayama does not carry it because it is left hand steer. Problems with the electronic components in the rack are infrequent. The rack usually develops mechanical problems The more common failure in the EPS system is the power relays in the controller which is repairable. There are options for using an S2000 or I think Accord EPS system if the rack is really shot.

Post the VIN on Prime to see if anybody knows whether there is some hidden history on the car. The biggest value issue would be the rear end damage. Was it purely cosmetic damage or did it involve structural damage? Based upon the Gen 1 market analysis the price looks to be very good.

Could you link the car in other posts? I highly doubt other buyers have contacted him. Hes an old guy who doesnt know of the internet.

It was posted on reddit/r/nsx also with a similar question (unless that was you) a while back, there aren't that many green 96 NSX's with accident history

I dont have any advanced mechnical knowledge as i know the pure basics, but I dont think this EPS is "normal." You literally have to push the wheel down with a decent amount of force when starting off in first gear. I couldnt see how this is how early production nsxs are without eps. Something is clearly wrong.

Haven't seen an 60K miles with manual trans for $50k for a long time. Assuming the rear end repair was just cosmetic, it'd still be below market price with $10K additional expense.

I dont have any advanced mechnical knowledge as i know the pure basics, but I dont think this EPS is "normal." You literally have to push the wheel down with a decent amount of force when starting off in first gear. I couldnt see how this is how early production nsxs are without eps. Something is clearly wrong.
The fact that the EPS light is illuminated indicates that something is wrong. When the EPS light comes on, most (not all) of the errors cause the EPS to turn off, essentially turning it into a non power steering car. The ratio on the EPS rack is different than on the manual rack. I think the manual rack has a nudge more turns per deg steering angle which would make the EPS a bit heavier without assist than a manual rack (without digging up the specs in the service manual I am not 100% sure which has the higher ratio). The fact that the steering becomes light once the car is moving suggests that the rack mechanicals are probably OK. Getting the EPS error codes would give you a better idea as to what is going on.

Back