• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ITB who has done it

ITB who has done it and would you do it again . thinking of going this way for the look and sound . cheaper then selling nsx and buying a 360. . but is it shit to do on a 3.0l if you have not punch out the engine. i dd my car in the summer and try to track 2-3 times a month. sc just feels to take away from the car... and i have looked all over prime so if i missed this Topix dont kill me..

ITB who has done it and would you do it again . thinking of going this way for the look and sound . cheaper then selling nsx and buying a 360. . but is it shit to do on a 3.0l if you have not punch out the engine. i dd my car in the summer and try to track 2-3 times a month. sc just feels to take away from the car... and i have looked all over prime so if i missed this Topix dont kill me..

I am starting down this road too with my second NSX. If you are looking for speed/value, ITB is NOT the way to go. After tuning costs, etc., you will be at the same money as a supercharger. N/A on the NSX is never a value in terms of dollars per whp. If you want to be competitive on the track, chase lap times, win your local drag race, etc., then get a supercharger or turbo kit. You say you track almost every weekend, so this may be important to you.

ITB, therefore, is something different. ITB is, to use the words of my NSX bff, [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION], about the drama. It sounds amazing on a high-winding engine like the C30.

I've seen two different experiences with ITB. The folks with the Jon Martin- designed 3.5 and 3.6 stroker kits like [MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION], seem to love the ITB option. However, my friend Roman [MENTION=27958]solidol[/MENTION] got so far as to buy the ITB kit, but then sold it and got a S/C. Why? Reliability. ITBs can be very tricky to tune and are sensitive to weather and altitude. I think Roman realized that even with great engine management, the ITB kit would require periodic adjustment. Since he daily drives his NSX, he decided all the issues were not worth the amazing sound. You might be able to get close to the ITB sound with the Downforce intake scoop and possibly the DMS intake manifold, which uses individual bellmouthed velocity stacks. It is something I'm considering, actually...

Plus the itb’s Are going to be loud as hell. If I DD my nsx, I certainly wouldn’t want itb’s.

The folks with the Jon Martin- designed 3.5 and 3.6 stroker kits like [MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION], seem to love the ITB option...

I do love mine - though I'll be the first to caution that it isn't a daily driver and was never meant to be (although curiously, my daily driver does have ITBs from the factory). The stroker and ITB sound, both exhaust and induction, is almost overpowering in the best sense of the word. And there's a "feel" to it that you don't get in a super/turbocharged NSX. It's at once rough and refined. Like the feel of a lumpy cam and a sewing machine. It's not a civilized sports car. It's rough, smelly, and demands your attention when driving. Acceleration is immediate to the point of seeming telepathic and scary enough to make a few grown men (and women) shriek. I've been very fortunate to drive some incredible cars (458s, GT3s, SRFs, SMs, Z06s, GTRs, GT350Rs, Ford GTs, etc.) on track, and I still consider this one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. :)

I do love mine - though I'll be the first to caution that it isn't a daily driver and was never meant to be (although curiously, my daily driver does have ITBs from the factory). The stroker and ITB sound, both exhaust and induction, is almost overpowering in the best sense of the word. And there's a "feel" to it that you don't get in a super/turbocharged NSX. It's at once rough and refined. Like the feel of a lumpy cam and a sewing machine. It's not a civilized sports car. It's rough, smelly, and demands your attention when driving. Acceleration is immediate to the point of seeming telepathic and scary enough to make a few grown men (and women) shriek. I've been very fortunate to drive some incredible cars (458s, GT3s, SRFs, SMs, Z06s, GTRs, GT350Rs, Ford GTs, etc.) on track, and I still consider this one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. :)
Okay, I'll eat the humble pie and ask the question: exactly WHAT is "ITB"?

Okay, I'll eat the humble pie and ask the question: exactly WHAT is "ITB"?

If you are a runner or a jock, iliotibial band tightness. However, for this discussion, Individual Throttle Bodies

You might be able to get close to the ITB sound with the Downforce intake scoop and possibly the DMS intake manifold, which uses individual bellmouthed velocity stacks. It is something I'm considering, actually...
i had a DMS intake and failed to make it work so have sold it and am now waiting on my ITB kit from the NSX Shop to arrive, I have a 3.1 TODA with SOS cams, valves etc fully ported heads to match from Port Flow designs the engine is balanced and have just finished running it in on my OEM intake that has had some work done on that so am about to join the club

i had a DMS intake and failed to make it work so have sold it and am now waiting on my ITB kit from the NSX Shop to arrive, I have a 3.1 TODA with SOS cams, valves etc fully ported heads to match from Port Flow designs the engine is balanced and have just finished running it in on my OEM intake that has had some work done on that so am about to join the club

What was wrong with the DMS?

we couldn't get the fueling correct and it kept falling over itself, made better more consistent power with the ported OEM with enlarged TB. i think for a forced induction build it is a good intake but for NA with all the engine mods my engine has it just wouldn't work and we tried, we went back to back on all sorts of comparisons with intakes, MAP sensors, exhausts etc etc.
We even tried a newer version of my LINK ECU to make sure mine was not faulty, this is our second TODA engine our other one is a 3.2 with ITB's and is making serious power
The car is running extremely well at present and the only thing thats not on there is that intake.
I sold it to a guy who is building a turbo NSX here in NZ.

we couldn't get the fueling correct and it kept falling over itself, made better more consistent power with the ported OEM with enlarged TB. i think for a forced induction build it is a good intake but for NA with all the engine mods my engine has it just wouldn't work and we tried, we went back to back on all sorts of comparisons with intakes, MAP sensors, exhausts etc etc.
We even tried a newer version of my LINK ECU to make sure mine was not faulty, this is our second TODA engine our other one is a 3.2 with ITB's and is making serious power
The car is running extremely well at present and the only thing thats not on there is that intake.
I sold it to a guy who is building a turbo NSX here in NZ.
let's see some data on that 3.2 ITB! :) :) :)

Scammy. Post up some pics and info once you receive your nsxshop itb’s.

Will do, been told manufacturer will have it out the door in Sept hopefully early, then I just have to get it downunder to NZ but we're waiting to install

Yes, you're correct. I'm running a risk right now and selective over the places I drive. So much is still changing and I'm still tuning but once it's all buttoned up a custom airbox is the last to be built.

When I was a kid I raced fuel go carts and we had stacks on our carburetors and no filter. Many of us would take nylon stockings, like the one ladies wear, and put a layer over the stack and hold them on with a rubber band.

We did not have air cleaners. BTW this was in the early 1960's.

Couldn't you just put a foam sock or bag over it? I believe K&N makes filter socks. They are not bulletproof but better than nothing. I've even seen foam just zip-tied to the stacks but not sure how safe that is.

N-95's baby

That's the best I can do guys

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1SUnHPAyPoQ17jKd6
ACtC-3dRQelfXbUlbuw7cmoMRVpNwYfNdCwJpwWTaRAXZwqBq3PSHH89Dkfj8Uh26l_bkuU1-JetHPwRwrR2a5n9-cOp0lrsAtwrVxGpwe68y257PI1u2JXbEq_afnLZ3JT32aS-4yXCofeJh9f4mVp9AeGZuQ=w728-h969-no

Last edited:
LOl that's how everyone at Dunkin doughnuts wears theirs...:mad:

Back