• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

It's been 30 days since my paint job. What should I do?

EAC

Legendary Member
My car got paint 30 days ago and has been sitting under the car cover ever since. Should I go ahead and wax it or take other steps?

If wax, since my car is black the body shop said to use a black wax so the residue won't show up.

I have a bottle of Klasse and Finsh First already..

My car got paint 30 days ago and has been sitting under the car cover ever since. Should I go ahead and wax it or take other steps?

If wax, since my car is black the body shop said to use a black wax so the residue won't show up.

I have a bottle of Klasse and Finsh First already..

Did someone advise you to put it under a cover? Was it water based or solvent paint? I've been told not to put a cover over new paint as it "sweats" which isn't good apparently

Personally I would have left it uncovered to cure .... cure times can vary depending on the what kind of paint and the climate and location.

30 to 90 days is recommended

If I had not driven it yet and the paint is still pristine I would get the front clear bra protected

The bodyshop said it was ok to cover it. :confused:

Anyhow, just uncovered it. It looks fantastic :biggrin:

Clearbra for sure.

So, what am supposed to do? Polish or Wax it?

How about posting a picture for the rest of us to enjoy :smile:

I would not wax for 3 months myself, and then only use a top quality product. My cousin runs a body shop and he hates wax! anything with silicone.....stay away!

Let's see it!

So, what am supposed to do? Polish or Wax it?

Like some have said I would wait a bit before putting any type of wax on. You can use a glaze ( 3M Hand Glaze ) it's brown, it doesn't have any silicons in it which you don't want before it has cured completely. I'd keep it uncovered personally.

Like some have said I would wait a bit before putting any type of wax on. You can use a glaze ( 3M Hand Glaze ) it's brown, it doesn't have any silicons in it which you don't want before it has cured completely. I'd keep it uncovered personally.

I worked at/ran a body shop for years. This^^

And Clearbra if you haven't yet...

Oh, and drive it!

Mental note some glazes can be like peanut butter wiping off, I'd do a panel at a time if you choose to use a glaze.

My garage is a dust/grime factory. There is noway I can keep it uncovered :frown:

You asked if you should polish it.. Do you know if they wet sanded and polished it for you after they painted it? What kind of paint did they use?
Reason why I ask is it should have been polished, some types of paint dry/cure differently and if the paint starts to shrink your gonna have a lot of hard work sanding and polishing it later down the road..
I hear you on the garage, especially with a black car!!!

You asked if you should polish it.. Do you know if they wet sanded and polished it for you after they painted it? What kind of paint did they use?
Reason why I ask is it should have been polished, some types of paint dry/cure differently and if the paint starts to shrink your gonna have a lot of hard work sanding and polishing it later down the road..
I hear you on the garage, especially with a black car!!!

Yes, they spent 3 days wet sanding/polishing it over and over again. I'm not sure on the brand of paint.

I tried to get a quote for a clear bra today but the guy didn't call me back. I'll try again tommorow. I want the entire front clip done.

Cool then you'll be fine just put a glaze on it and in another 30 to 60 days put whatever you like and you'll be ok..
Putting a clear bra on as you know is the best thing you can do for preservation.. Just know that when applying a clear bra on a plastic bumper thats not oem paint, it has a good chance of pulling paint during application. Due to the pulling, tacking it and stretching it to get it to conform to the bodylines and shape of the bumper IF the paint hasn't cured completely. So the longer you wait the better..

Cool then you'll be fine just put a glaze on it and in another 30 to 60 days put whatever you like and you'll be ok..
Putting a clear bra on as you know is the best thing you can do for preservation.. Just know that when applying a clear bra on a plastic bumper thats not oem paint, it has a good chance of pulling paint during application. Due to the pulling, tacking it and stretching it to get it to conform to the bodylines and shape of the bumper IF the paint hasn't cured completely. So the longer you wait the better..

Thanks for the info!

He just quoted me $1,150 for the clear bra install. Is that a reasonable price?

Thanks for the info!

all depends how much they are installing. Are you doing full nose including full fenders/hood, rockers, side panels, roof, windshield outline....?

all depends how much they are installing. Are you doing full nose including full fenders/hood, rockers, side panels, roof, windshield outline....?

That's full bumper, full hood and full fenders.

retail price on just that from my local highly recommended installer is roughly 1500 for the same thing in 3m.

I would recommend also you doing the rocker panels and rear section behind the tires. these are all places that rocks and debris get kicked up.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah thats not a bad price have you seen their work? If so, then price is right in the neighborhood.

Yeah thats not a bad price have you seen their work? If so, then price is right in the neighborhood.

My friends GT3 was done by them. It looked good to me.

Thanks for the info!

What kind of material? That's a fair price if using the XPEL Ultimate film, I think it might be kind of high if using VentureShield or regular 3M PPF. Just my $0.02 since I did both my NSXs for $1250 (but only partial hood and fenders).

I would also add the vent lips and area behind door handles in addition to the above suggestions.

What kind of material? That's a fair price if using the XPEL Ultimate film, I think it might be kind of high if using VentureShield or regular 3M PPF. Just my $0.02 since I did both my NSXs for $1250 (but only partial hood and fenders).

I would also add the vent lips and area behind door handles in addition to the above suggestions.

Your install was less expensive because you didn't have the entire front clip done. They are doing my entire front bumper, hood and fenders so that you can't see a transition line.

They use the 3M stuff, here is the company.

http://www.ultrashieldofstl.com/

Last edited:

Ask the manager of the shop that did the paint work.

Back