• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

It's finally here! Windows Phone 7 Series

another review:

http://zollotech.com/2010/12/09/windows-phone-7-vs-ios/

^^ For people with a decade long investment in iTunes as a music manager, the iPhone has a huge advantage. I spend 1000x more time listening to music than talking on the phone and I'm not interested in carrying a separate iPod.

There are ways to convert your itunes music to work on the zune interface, but i'm sure you know that. Running a 32gb car in the Focus brings it to 40gb of memory.

another review:

http://zollotech.com/2010/12/09/windows-phone-7-vs-ios/

There are ways to convert your itunes music to work on the zune interface, but i'm sure you know that. Running a 32gb car in the Focus brings it to 40gb of memory.

Heh... I thought it was funny how when Win 7 totally trashed his own website - he still managed to say that web browsing under Win 7 was a great experience.

Whew, you could really see him so badly wanting Win 7 to prevail.

He also mentioned that he thought there was more tapping in iOS. But he never mentioned the inordinate amount of swiping one must do in Win 7.

+ iPod/iPhone interface in the car FTW!

Two of my iPods have died, at least one while on the iPod/iPhone interface.

My very first and expensive iPod 40GB just died one day. I hadn't used it all that much, prior to my interface. The second iPod Nano just died last weekend, while on our PHXPO drive. So I was left without any music during my drive (I had disconnected the FM antenna since I don't listen to radio).

No more iPod buying for me! I hate iTunes (used it for 10 years), and iPods keep dying while the battery is non-user replaceable.

I'm going to stick to Sansa and Android music devices. I'll keep my other iPod Touch and iPod Nano for casual use, sadly I do not want to risk killing them and have no more iPods left. 2 out of 4 iPods dead!!! Users can't replace the battery...just crap!!

Screw you Steve Jobs!!!! :mad::mad:

My very first and expensive iPod 40GB just died one day. I hadn't used it all that much, prior to my interface. The second iPod Nano just died last weekend, while on our PHXPO drive. So I was left without any music during my drive (I had disconnected the FM antenna since I don't listen to radio).

No more iPod buying for me! I hate iTunes (used it for 10 years), and iPods keep dying while the battery is non-user replaceable.

I'm going to stick to Sansa and Android music devices. I'll keep my other iPod Touch and iPod Nano for casual use, sadly I do not want to risk killing them and have no more iPods left. 2 out of 4 iPods dead!!! Users can't replace the battery...just crap!!

That sucks you had iPods break. I still have my iPod Photo I bought 5-6 years ago, and it's still working like a champ. As far as repairing iPods, if you're a bit tech savy and a DIYer, they're pretty easy to fix. At least the Classic iPods. I've never opened an iPod touch.

Haven't had any of my Zunes break (1 30gb, 1 8gb, 1 32gb, and 1 80gb), but everything can break. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Don't get a Sansa Fuze…it's battery is not user replaceable either. See page 9 of the manual:

http://www.sandisk.com/microsites/sansafuzeplus/SansaFuze+UG_0915.pdf

All these devices have the same battery technology. Check out this fascinating video which shows what happens during charging at a microscopic level.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/12/video-charging-takes-a-toll-on-a.html?ref=hp

Fortunately, there are vendors that sell replacement batteries for your ipod too:

http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/ind...ment&ad=2.11&gclid=CMiTv-a95aUCFRtqgwodwR7xzw

Under $20 with tools included doesn't seem that bad.

500 new features:

http://www.wpcentral.com/mango-preview-event-wrapping-it-all

some here:

Multitasking

Twitter integration in the People Hub

Internet Explorer 9 + HTML5 + Hardware graphics rendering

Custom Ringtones (via manager)

Bing Audio: Think Shazam, but built into Bing and we bet of course Zune Marketplace. Country support is initially limited to the U.S.,
Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain and Germany.

Bing Vision: A full blown image scanner using your camera. It can detect, identify and search using barcodes, Microsoft Tags, QR Codes, CD’s, DVDs, Books, and text using OCR (see here for history)

Turn-by-turn navigation: “voice guidance during driving directions” (we heard about this awhile ago)

SMS Dictation: Using Microsoft's TellMe service, you can use voice-to-text for SMS messages by tapping a microphone near the bottom

East Asian Language Keyboard, Handwriting and Dictionary Support--[we saw this mentioned a few days ago]

Improved SkyDrive sync in Office hub - adding Word, Excel, and PowerPoint sync support. Each document type will now be indicated by the color of the tile:

Bing Image Search, Bing Vision, and Bing Audio – besides Bing Vision and Bing Audio as revealed earlier this morning, it seems like Bing will now feature Image Search as well.

Windows Live Messenger integrated in People hub – as we have predicted earlier, the Chinese developer confirms that Windows Live

Messenger will be integrated in the People hub. You will be able to directly IM someone on your contact list.

Pinnable email folders: Pin a folder to the start screen for quick access. This could be an email folder for a specific project, from a specific group or person (like your boss), or an RSS feed you’ve set up in Outlook.

Conversation view in email: Emails in your inbox are organized by conversation, bringing replies to a thread into a consolidated view so it’s faster and easier to stay on top of the conversation.

Server search: Search your email server (e.g. Exchange Server) for older emails no longer stored on your phone, giving you ready access to all of your mail.

Lync: Lync Mobile brings the Lync experience to Windows Phone customers by delivering Unified Communications capabilities, including instant messaging and the ability to see the presence of your co-workers. The Lync app will be a free download from

Windows Phone Marketplace and will be enabled with support from your business organization.

Complex (alpha-numeric) password support

Information Rights Management

Support for access to hidden corporate Wi-Fi networks

Windows Live Messenger, Facebook chat and AOL Instant Messenger all integrated under Messaging--and remember, we heard this is rumored to be a dual data/SMS system, making it really reliable even when your connection is not. Your presence as well as your friends are displayed in the People Hub dynamically.

Office 365 and Skydrive built into Office hub--'nuff said

Group Messaging: currently there are some nice 3rd party apps that do this, but the ability to have pre-defined groups to message to will be now native, allowing to create quick groups for Family, Work, Friends, etc. This will work for Email and SMS.

Artist art on Lockscreen: This is very cool, especially those with Zune HD players. What this does is pull down the Zune/Artist artwork of your current selection and plays it in a marquee/banner fashion on the screen. It currently does this on your Zune
desktop/Xbox (play some music and wiat a few mins, you'll see). Evidently, in WP7.5, you can do this on your phone, making the

Zune HD/Windows Phone distinction even less. This was always an awesome thing on the Zune HD, so we're glad it's being brought over.

Games Hub gets a facelift, including 'sync' option (potentially for online-game play). We first reported this back at MIX11, so now it's confirmed.

Native Checkins are coming e.g. Facebook Places. More info here.

Visual Voicemail will use Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP)

Battery saving features/options (under Settings)

WiFi Hotspot support, uses Network Communication and Information Systems (NCIS) technology

Last edited:
SkyDrive supports music playback in Mango

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgd1CDK3d1c?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgd1CDK3d1c?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Microsoft is scratching for relevance in the mobile space. If this thing outsells the Zune I'd be surprised.

Microsoft is scratching for relevance in the mobile space. If this thing outsells the Zune I'd be surprised.

I'm with you on this one. Microsoft had their chance in the mobile market. At one point in time, their only competitor was Symbian. That was their time to shine, but instead they left everyone looking for something better to jump ship to. I liked Windows Mobile better than Symbian at that time, but it was still pretty crappy. I didn't want to jump to iOS, so stuck with them for many years. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and jumped to the 3GS. I didn't want to like it, but it was so far beyond Windows Mobile 6.0 there was no comparison from a UX standpoint. I won't be going back to Windows Mobile and that Metro UI for Windows 8 looks awful. I just installed the developer copy in a VM but haven't played with it yet (and I don't have a touchscreen monitor anyway)

Robr
VoIP what kind have you installed?can you get any deals?
one of my clients is looking for a system, with a virtual call center PM me.
200 user type

I love my WP7 device and haven't had any issues with. 40gb of memory with out any issues.

Considering other companies are copying WP7 features says they're doing something right and definitely headed in the right direction.

Apple’s iPhone 4S debuts this week but how does its Siri voice assistant compare to Microsoft’s Windows Phone speech features?

Microsoft has been working hard to bring more natural and intuitive speech technologies to a wider audience. The software giant introduced some of its Tellme work with the Xbox 360 and Kinect. The Tellme service currently processes over 11 billion voice interactions a year. The interactions help Microsoft improve their speech service as the system continuously learns and adapts. Windows Phone 7.5 contains an improved version of Tellme that now dictates messages and the following features:

■Making a phone call by name or nickname
■Redialing a number
■Calling voicemail
■Searching Bing
■Turning on the speakerphone
■Starting an app while in a call
■Navigating Maps
The improvements have been largely over looked in Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7.5 update, thanks to the large number of new features elsewhere in the operating system. With the release of the iPhone 4S, Apple brings a powerful new natural voice interaction to mobile devices. Microsoft’s Tellme technology is more of a command driven feature of Windows Phone right now but the company has plans to improve this in future. “We aspire to deliver services that are just as natural and easy as human conversation,” said Microsoft’s Tellme general manager Zig Serafin, in a feature post on the future of speech earlier this year. “We see a future where the service will know you: know your intent, your social and business connections, your likes and dislikes, your privacy preferences, and the things that define the context that’s important to you.”

Microsoft’s future Tellme speech recognition is a lot more personal and more aligned with Apple’s Siri features. Microsoft demonstrated some of its future speech recognition in Windows Phone in August. A video demonstration (YouTube) shows off a much improved speech interface that will work across devices. “We envision a future where we build on the experiences we deliver today with Kinect for Xbox 360, Windows Phone, or Bing for iPad or iPhone apps, by enhancing the speech NUI experience to understand more layers of context: what you are doing,” says Serafin.

The current implementation in Windows Phone 7.5 is basic in comparison to Siri’s artificial intelligence but it matches Apple’s features in some key scenarios. The ability to dictate SMS messages and reply with your voice is important at times when using your hands isn’t an option, driving a car for example. It remains to be seen just how popular services like Siri and Tellme will be amongst consumers. Speech technology is clearly adapting to modern life but its use will be limited to events where it’s necessary. I don’t expect hordes of people will be asking their phone what the weather is like during a busy commute on a public train. Microsoft’s vision of speech across multiple devices that remember your historical preferences and likes/dislikes is a powerful one. If the company is able to realise its vision with Windows 8, Xbox Next and Windows Phone 8 then it could create a key differentiation from its competitors.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uF5IVKj8QDk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uF5IVKj8QDk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-phone-siri-like-features-how-do-they-compare-video/

With the release of the iPhone 4S, Apple brings a powerful new natural voice interaction to mobile devices. Microsoft&#146;s Tellme technology is more of a command driven feature of Windows Phone right now but the company has plans to improve this in future.

That pretty much sums it up. Yeah, we got some voice commands too and soon we will follow Apple's lead and come up with something like Siri (although not as good).

follow Apple's lead and come up with something like Siri
I definitely give Apple props for doing a fantastic job with the iPod/iPhone line - they really changed the game in those spaces. However, it's not like Apple just cooked up Siri - it is my understanding that it was basically just a cool iPhone app that they bought http://www.macworld.com/article/150910/2010/04/siri_apple.html and decided they should put the app in iOS5. A smart move with some cool tech, but Apple didn't come up with the idea.

I haven't seen iOS5 yet, but I am really loving Mango on my Windows Phone. I must say it's really really good. I might be biased when it comes to phones, but I know that Mango is certainly getting lots of positive attention from unbiased people.

New Nokia WP7 Phones announced:

nokia-lumia-900-balck-straight.jpg

nokia-lumia-900-cyan-straight.jpg

nokia-lumia-900-black.jpg

More info here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_900/

Last edited:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k3Nfh9bl0Z8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I definitely give Apple props for doing a fantastic job with the iPod/iPhone line - they really changed the game in those spaces. However, it's not like Apple just cooked up Siri - it is my understanding that it was basically just a cool iPhone app that they bought http://www.macworld.com/article/150910/2010/04/siri_apple.html and decided they should put the app in iOS5. A smart move with some cool tech, but Apple didn't come up with the idea.

I haven't seen iOS5 yet, but I am really loving Mango on my Windows Phone. I must say it's really really good. I might be biased when it comes to phones, but I know that Mango is certainly getting lots of positive attention from unbiased people.

It wasn't just a cool iPhone app. Siri is a serious server side AI program that just so happens to now have an iPhone client app.

Microsoft has been running a $100 challenge at CES where they give smartphone owners $100 if they can prove they can complete tasks faster than a Windows Phone. If they lose however they must agree to be publicly admit their phone was smoked by a windows phone.

It turns our however that their ritual humiliation will not only be broadcast over twitter. According to Andrew, our man on the scene, contestants need to sign release forms, and the event is being recorded by multiple cameras.

According to Ben Rudolph, the PC Guy, the contest is going pretty well, with over a dozen wins and only one loss. I expect we will be seeing the contestants feature in a Rolling Thunder campaign pretty soon.

See the contest explained in the video below:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8NaPPgbbDQ?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8NaPPgbbDQ?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

New Nokia Lumia 900 comes out this week:

Reviews from a couple of sites:

CNET:

The good: The Nokia Lumia 900′s eye-popping unibody design sets a new direction for smartphone style. Its LTE speeds, vivid 4.3-inch screen, and 8-megapixel camera are high points.

The bad: Problems with call quality and minor design flaws like some gaps in the construction and weirdly placed buttons get in the way. The designer camera optics are good, but they don’t live up to the hype. The phone shoots 720p video rather than 1080p video.

The bottom line: The Nokia Lumia 900′s unique design and high-end features make Windows Phone look fantastic, and the $99 price is extremely fair. Despite some flaws, this is my favorite Windows Phone yet.

ABC News:

For $99.99, the Lumia 900 is a superb value. But even if the phone wasn’t just under $100, it would be considered a great smartphone. It has a striking design, beautiful display, solid camera, fast data speeds, and a very clean and easy-to-use operating system.

But one thing is clear: Nokia is now the maker of one of the best and most attractive phones on the market, and my guess is that will put an end to questions like “Nokia still makes phones?”

Ars Technica:

As a smartphone, the Lumia 900 is more than competent, and a better choice than many Android phones out there for the same price (if you aren’t tied into the ecosystem). On design, it certainly wins against most Android phones, even higher-end models, and it bests many on features.

Compared to the similarly-priced iPhone 4, the Lumia 900 is a better choice, hands down.

AnandTech:

For the first time in a while, I’m genuinely excited by a new Windows Phone. With the Lumia 900, it seems as though some of Nokia’s rhetoric about being the first OEM to put its best hardware and design forward with the platform is starting to ring true. Similar to our take on the first members of the Lumia family, the 900 is easily the best Windows Phone on the market today.

The $99 launch price is absolutely crazy and very welcome for a flagship phone, particularly one with such high build quality and camera standards. Not only does this obviate other Windows Phones, but it increases competitive pressure on Apple as well as Android smartphone providers. I don’t know that there’s still a lot of iPhone/Windows Phone cross shopping, but a trend towards even cheaper on-contract prices for high-end smartphones is absolutely welcome.

Engadget:
Pros:

Solid camera
Fluid user experience
Blazing LTE speeds
Useful Internet Sharing feature
Screen is easily readable outdoors

Cons:

Low-res display

Bottomline:

Nokia’s Lumia 900 is a steal for consumers looking for dependable performance, ease of use, LTE connectivity, an attractive design and reasonable price.

Venturebeat:

At $100, the Lumia 900 also blows away most similarly-priced smartphones. Numerous Android devices are available for $100 and under, but in my experience the cheaper you go with Android devices, the more hellish the experience. Apple’s $100 8 gigabyte iPhone 4 is the strongest competitor to the Lumia 900, but for those consumers who avoid Apple products at all costs, Nokia’s new flagship is one of the few worthwhile mid-range smartphones.

Gizmodo:

Should I Buy It?

Probably—it’s only $100, or zero dollars if you’re a new AT&T subscriber, which you might be. Either way, it’s paltry cover fee to enter the Nokia LTE Windows Phone beauty pageant. It’s so quick and elegant.

Betanews:

I feel I must reiterate that this is NOT AN UPMARKET DEVICE! By pricing the Lumia 900 at just $99, Nokia is targeting the mass market consumer. Yet with a solid body, solid camera, nice screen, and 4G connectivity, the hardware value is unquestionably through the roof. The mass market is getting an impressively well-rounded device. Whether or not the software backs up that value is up to the individual user and what he needs his phone and related Web services to do. For me, those qualities pass too, despite my love for the little

Slashgear:

At $99.99 for returning AT&T customers, the Lumia 900 is tempting for any smartphone aficionado. At zero dollars for new customers (or $49 if you brave the Wal-Mart aisles) it’s a downright steal. A solid and stylish build, reliable software and excellent value should put this phone on your short list, no matter what you’re currently using. You can consider LTE as a bonus, since AT&T will surely add many more markets over a two-year contract period.

Technobuffalo:

I’ve said consumers should walk into an AT&T store and get their hands on a Windows Phone device just to see how solid the platform is. That statement is even truer now that the Lumia 900 is available. It’s the perfect marriage of Windows Phone and beautiful, first-class hardware all in a super affordable $99 package. If you want more applications, then I don’t blame you for walking out of the store with an iPhone or an Android device. But if Windows Phone does suit your fancy, the Lumia 900 is, hands down the best option available.

Last edited:
Back