• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Japan Trip Recs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some time off next month and was thinking of going to Japan for vacation. If I go, it will probably be for 8 nights and we'll also be taking our then 9 month old. I've never been there so I would welcome any suggestions for itineraries. I'm pretty flexible, in that I can really go anywhere, but think that this will be a unique experience.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things you might want to consider:

Twin Ring Motegi (in Tochigi) - Honda Museum (Collection Hall), Twin-Ring circuit, etc

Tokyo/Yokohama
MACS - large dealer of used NSX
Autobacs - large shop in Yokohama (aftermarket parts)
numerous small garage/aftermarket shops in Yokohama and metro Tokyo
- Backyard Special, Taitec, Advanced, etc
Mr Craft - great toy store in Tokyo (lots of cool toys, models, etc)

Since the NSX is now out-of-production, no "assembly plant" to visit :(

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring me back a set of the NSX-R Tires please!

Bridgestone Potenza RE070 H0s sizes 215/40/17 & 255/40/17 :D THX lol :tongue:

U can check them as luggage on the return trip :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pointers...will try to check out MACS as I've heard alot about it on this site. I have yet to own an NSX, so I'll have to wait on the goodies.

What bout sight-seeing, what are the must-go's? I'm thinking Tokyo, Kyoto, Mt. Fuji. I'll admit I know very little about Japan so any vacation tips would be helpful.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bout sight-seeing, what are the must-go's? I'm thinking Tokyo, Kyoto, Mt. Fuji. I'll admit I know very little about Japan so any vacation tips would be helpful.

- Before leaving, make sure you bring at least a decent guide book. Most people here do not speak English. Friendly people, but not that helpful if you can't communicate with them.

- This is a cash oriented country, so bring plenty (exchange booth at the airport is a big No-No), use the ATM at the Narita airport would save you a lot...Not all ATM you see accept US card, however, most 7-11 would have ATM that accepts US ATM cards. With the current exchange rate, you should brace yourself.

- Taxi is tricky unless you are going to a landmark/well known location, since most drivers do not understand English

- Street address is really tough to use, the common street number / street name system does not apply here

- Don't expect any US cell phone / blackberry / iphone to work here even if you use an int'l plan...tried it and failed with numerous carrier / devices

- If you do not want to pay ~US$250 of taxi bill, take the airport express train / bus, research the route before you leave the US.

- Shopping, depends on what you want to buy, try not to buy anything import, you'll be paying a premium compared to the US. Clothing in Japan prob won't fit you guys as well, unless you're skinny with narrow shoulders...

- Watch "Lost in Translation" and expect EXACTLY the same when you're in Japan...even if you've watched it, watch again. I did after living here, totally different feelings :rolleyes:

- Lodging - If you stay in a service apartment like Oakwood, you should be able to save 10-15% compared to hotel and they're more spacious.

Point of attractions:

Tokyo:
- Tsukiji fish mkt - nothing beats going to fish mkt and having great sushi meal when most people are still sleeping.
- Asakusa Temples - great tourist attraction with the one of the most famous Buddist temples in Tokyo
- Ginza - The premier shopping district
- Shinjuku - Great restaurants / shopping / entertainment districts.
- Shibuya - Too much to list here, take a walk thru the area and you'll be amazed. This is where a lot of the scenes in "Lost in Translation" took place.
- Odaiba - Popular spot to spend a day/afternoon
- Yokohama - Chinatown (cleanest C-town ever, I'm Chinese), old buildings with lots of western influences...
- Tokyo Tower - it's worth a trip if you happen to tour around Roppongi.
- Roppongi - Food / entertainment / bar district. I assume w/ your 9-mo old, hard core drinking is out of the question? BTW, I live here.
- Kamakura - old coastal city that is 1-hr from Tokyo center, worth a trip...

Kyoto - Never been there, heard many great stories about the city. You will enjoy it if you like old Japan. Quiet with numerous temple and Shinto shrines.

Hokaido - Northern island, great time to visit the fields that are covered with flowers...great seafood.

Hope that helps...let me know if you need more info/help. :smile:

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Before leaving, make sure you bring at least a decent guide book. Most people here do not speak English. Friendly people, but not that helpful if you can't communicate with them.

- This is a cash oriented country, so bring plenty (exchange booth at the airport is a big No-No), use the ATM at the Narita airport would save you a lot...Not all ATM you see accept US card, however, most 7-11 would have ATM that accepts US ATM cards. With the current exchange rate, you should brace yourself.

- Taxi is tricky unless you are going to a landmark/well known location, since most drivers do not understand English

- Street address is really tough to use, the common street number / street name system does not apply here

- Don't expect any US cell phone / blackberry / iphone to work here even if you use an int'l plan...tried it and failed with numerous carrier / devices

- If you do not want to pay ~US$250 of taxi bill, take the airport express train / bus, research the route before you leave the US.

- Shopping, depends on what you want to buy, try not to buy anything import, you'll be paying a premium compared to the US. Clothing in Japan prob won't fit you guys as well, unless you're skinny with narrow shoulders...

- Watch "Lost in Translation" and expect EXACTLY the same when you're in Japan...even if you've watched it, watch again. I did after living here, totally different feelings :rolleyes:

- Lodging - If you stay in a service apartment like Oakwood, you should be able to save 10-15% compared to hotel and they're more spacious.

Point of attractions:

Tokyo:
- Tsukiji fish mkt - nothing beats going to fish mkt and having great sushi meal when most people are still sleeping.
- Asakusa Temples - great tourist attraction with the one of the most famous Buddist temples in Tokyo
- Shibuya - Too much to list here, take a walk thru the area and you'll be amazed. This is where a lot of the scenes in "Lost in Translation" took place.
- Yokohama - Chinatown (cleanest C-town ever, I'm Chinese), old buildings with lots of western influences...
- Roppongi - Food / entertainment / bar district. I assume w/ your 9-mo old, hard core drinking is out of the question? BTW, I live here.

Kyoto - Never been there, heard many great stories about the city. You will enjoy it if you like old Japan. Quiet with numerous temple and Shinto shrines.

Hokaido - Northern island, great time to visit the fields that are covered with flowers...great seafood.

Hey Brian how are you doing? I'm sure you'd be happy to know your former baby is doing great! How are things in Japan?

(sorry for the off topic guys)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Point of attractions:

Tokyo:
- Ginza - The premier shopping district
- Shinjuku - Great restaurants / shopping / entertainment districts.
- Tokyo Tower - it's worth a trip if you happen to tour around Roppongi.

Thanks for all the great info, this is exactly what I was looking for. I realize that language will be an issue, but I guess that is part of the adventure of international travel. I saw Lost in Translation awhile back but just put in my Tivo list for a refresher. Appreciate all the help. Also, what is the best way to see Mt. Fuji?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great info, this is exactly what I was looking for. I realize that language will be an issue, but I guess that is part of the adventure of international travel. I saw Lost in Translation awhile back but just put in my Tivo list for a refresher. Appreciate all the help. Also, what is the best way to see Mt. Fuji?

Glad that helps.

- BTW, from 4/29 to 5/7 is the so-called golden week in Japan (public holidays lining up together), and you will find tourist attractions are packed with local tourists. You might have to pay premium as well...

- Couple great resources for dining / drinks: http://metropolis.co.jp/ and http://www.bento.com/tokyofood.html

- Mt. Fuji - Stand on top of any tall bldgs in Tokyo and look west...:biggrin: J/K...official climbing season starts in july but there is a bus that goes up halfway through out the year. Go to Hakone (about 2-3 hrs outside Tokyo), you should have a nice view of Fuji; or you can choose to go up.

Cheers :smile:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brian how are you doing? I'm sure you'd be happy to know your former baby is doing great! How are things in Japan?

Thanks for the update. I am glad you're enjoying the car. It's exciting and challenging living here but my wife and I are somewhat settled.

I casually checked on the NSXs here and cannot believe the price here :eek: . I found "my" car and it's 30% more for same year with slightly less miles.

Color plays a huge factor in Japan, a white NSX cost at least 10% than a comparable ones with different color. Amazing :rolleyes: An NA-1 NSX Type R runs for about US$ 65K - 75K :eek:

Sorry for OT....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for another car related attraction, from the threads ive seen on h-t if you go to spoon sports(big name in honda racing civic/accord/integra/etc) "mr spoon" seems to be a very nice guy, saw a thread where he took some honda-tech'rs to autobacs with him in his van thingy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of cool "conventional" tourism too (most of this is just Tokyo)
- Ride the bullet train;
- Get to the train station early - the downtown Tokyo shinkansen station is a zoo (albeit a very clean and polite one!)
- Check out the cool electronics at Akihabara (Electric Town)
- Cruise the Tokyo river
- Gardens at the Emperors Palace
- See the Asakusa temple (score culture points with the SO)
- Walk the Ginza district at night (credit card limit might need an upgrade)

A few tips (lots more):
- Get a couple of business cards from your hotel - easy to show the taxi driver where to go
- Memorize a few key phrases (hello, thank you, please, cheers, can I have a beer, yes, no, etc)
- Learn the basic protocols - business card exchange, sake drinking, tea ceremony, sake drinking, etc... note: Suntory whiskey is not bad; neither is Kirin Ichiban. Also - the better sakes are served cold
- Speaking of tips - no tipping in Japan. NOT a way to win friends and influence people.
- Enjoy the food - be open-minded, and throttle the Western tendency to deconstruct everything. Trust the force, but choose your fugu wisely :wink:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased tix a few days ago, so will be looking forward to Japan. By chance, got to see some cool pics posted by nsxsupra on his thread.