• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JDM short 2nd gear (the quest)

Dear All,

I am starting to collect the parts for JDM short gears. Countershaft, 3rd and 4th short gears seems to be available (Amayama or Christian at ATR Racing). The problem is the 2nd gear (23431-PR8-010). Discontinued from months (Amayama gives a wacky delivery date that shows they do not have it anywhere).

Did one of you already placed an order somewhere for this part ??? Is Honda in the process of remanufacturing a batch of these ? I mean, if nobody places an order, I doubt they will start a production. Hence if somebody knows something on this part...

Good luck on your quest. It truly is a quest because the JDM 5-speed parts are slowly disappearing from the Honda parts chain. AFAIK, the only parts that may now be permanently discontinued (according to RFY) are the NSX-R countershaft and final ring gear. Countershaft 2nd is likely on a long-lead backorder (think 6-12 months). You might have to wait until Honda runs another batch. I would check with Marc at MITA to see if he has any additional info, since he has direct access to Honda internally.

Honda hasn’t discontinued any of the gearbox parts yet afaik according to Marc at MITA, just backordered like hell. In fact he just had a set of mainshafts (5 AND 6 speed) Honda sold out of them in less than one day!

have patience and be ready to buy when they come up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honda hasn’t discontinued any of the gearbox parts yet afaik according to Marc at MITA, just backordered like hell. In fact he just had a set of mainshafts (5 AND 6 speed) Honda sold out of them in less than one day!

have patience and be ready to buy when they come up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree. The only one that might be NLA is the 5-speed NSX-R countershaft. The NSX-R ring gear also fits the NA2 R 6-speed, so it likely will remain available for a while. I've always wondered whether the aftermarket can step in here. We know, for example, that companies like OS Giken and ATS can cut their own countershafts. I wonder if we could convince a Mita or ATR or SoS to run a set to keep the parts chain alive. As your example shows, there is demand.

I wonder if we could convince a Mita or ATR or SoS to run a set to keep the parts chain alive.

Dear Lord, yes. And very honestly, quite a few gear and shaft machine shops across the country could develop comparable transmission parts.

I wonder if we could convince a Mita or ATR or SoS to run a set to keep the parts chain alive. As your example shows, there is demand.

MITA has been working with Comptech USA to try and start this exact project, actually.

Right now there isn’t enough “obvious interest” to warrant the huge undertaking. At least this was the last time I spoke with Marc

Maybe if we can get a group of people together 10-15+ people for a purchase that would be solid enough quantity to convince some to take this on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MITA has been working with Comptech USA to try and start this exact project, actually.

Right now there isn’t enough “obvious interest” to warrant the huge undertaking. At least this was the last time I spoke with Marc

Maybe if we can get a group of people together 10-15+ people for a purchase that would be solid enough quantity to convince some to take this on

Mark Perez answered me on my fb post that he was waiting 10 pieces. I know that Christian at ATR is waiting 2 (one for his own use and one for a full kit he has with the 2nd missing). Plus one or 2 of us like me. I think that 15 - 20 pieces are easily reachable. At least for the 2nd gear.

The main issue would be convincing everyone to take on more than just one gear. Would need to be a full gear set.

I bet with enough exposure, you could get to 20 full sets. Considering how fast the OEM parts sell out. Now, those could just be hoarders, but still I would love to stick it to them by offering a aftermarket gear set at close to OEM price.

57mCY5D.jpg

Just received from Amayama. Everything is available. Even the individual friction plates for the clutch. So the only problem is 2nd gear.

Back