• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jersey guy new to forum

As the title says I'm new to the forum and have been browsing for gen 1 NSXs for about a year.
Actually I've been looking for a "weekend" car for my 50th, which is next year, and been looking at everything from a Maserati GT, AMG something to an american muscle car.
About a month ago, I settled on finding a restomod C3 corvette. I love the 1970-72 model with the chrome and egg crate vents, but even a restomod will have more problems than a 25 year newer car like a NSX. So I've put the NSX back on the list and I'm trying to weigh out the two.

For the Vette, it has to be in those years and a convertible. So far I've only been able to find a small handful of decent looking ones for under 40K (and based on web intell, it was suggested to have 10K in the bank to fix something within the first year)

I have a bunch of questions but I'll throw out a few to get things started:

1) How are the auto trans on the NSX? I've read a few complaints on them burning up the fluid at the track but I'll probably never get on a track. I've also had a number of auto Honda/Acuras and every one has has some trouble at some part of it's life except an Acura Legend.

2) Has anyone put classic plates on their 25 year or older cars? Any advantage to doing so? I've read some insurance estimates and it the savings didn't seem particularly worth it.

3) How do I get started with a search? I'm budgeting about 60K, which I know isn't much. But as a weekend car and kids going to college, that's about my max.

I'll provide you with a few of my thoughts.

I've never owned nor driven an A/T car but I have ridden in one and thought it was fine. I don't know how durable they are should you decide to take it to a track. Personally, I wouldn't bother with classic car tags. In Illinois they come with restrictions about how you can drive the car which is the last thing I want to think about. Start looking at cars for sale here on Prime, then branch outward. Learn as much as you can before you buy. Drive one if possible. NA1 or NA2? Manual or A/T? Stock or are mods ok? What does "in snap ring range" mean? Et cetera. NSX's are great handling cars but, unless turbocharged or supercharged, are not fast cars by today's standards. Parts availability is becoming an issue as well. Search out a local owner's group, I'm sure they would be happy to talk with you.

You should be able to pick up a good NA1 or perhaps a higher-milage NA2 for $60,000. And I know what you mean about kids going to college (it seems as if you've spent enough money that you could have bought a La Ferrari by the time you've finished paying THOSE bills!). Just do your homework, talk with people, and take your time!

Last edited:
Back