• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jinks engine build thread

Holy shiznit. That power.

I need a supercharger. *Bob starts looking in bank account for funds*

When are you gong to bring that beast to a local meet?
Next month for the west palm supercar meet Doc. I already requested to not be on call. Hoping we can get a Nsx crew to caravan up there. That’d be awesome. Let’s start a thread in the SW owner group.

Holy shiznit. That power.

I need a supercharger. *Bob starts looking in bank account for funds*

Hahah! This car is completely different now. The power is just throw my ass back in the seat. But it does has its downsides. In traffic I absolutely hate it. But I did before the motor build too. Like a stallion in a stable with nowhere to gallop. I come back from drives with the shakes. Lol

As for this Exedy clutch, It definitely shudders in first. But I am going very easy on it to break it in. I know that once it is broken in and I pop the clutch, this baby is gonna go. But I also know I am going to hate driving this car in traffic.:rolleyes:

I think I know why it's shuddering already. Looking at your videos, it doesn't look like you're following the Exedy break-in instructions AT ALL :biggrin:

That's the problem with doing an engine rebuild at the same time as installing a new clutch. How you break in the engine is totally opposite how you break in a clutch. Unless you break in the engine on an engine dyno....

I think I know why it's shuddering already. Looking at your videos, it doesn't look like you're following the Exedy break-in instructions AT ALL :biggrin:

That's the problem with doing an engine rebuild at the same time as installing a new clutch. How you break in the engine is totally opposite how you break in a clutch. Unless you break in the engine on an engine dyno....
I cannot seem to find any manufacturer suggest break in settings. But this clutch shuddered from the day we took it off the trailer.
Got a link to check out?

I cannot seem to find any manufacturer suggest break in settings. But this clutch shuddered from the day we took it off the trailer.
Got a link to check out?

I assume you didn't receive any paperwork from DA on the parts then?

The Exedy instructions for the HMG12SD say "Drive carefully and gently for the first 500km" or something like that. That first transfer of friction material is pretty important.

There are so many factors on an individual car that can contribute to whether or not a clutch will shudder. From clutch break-in to transmission intake shaft bearing health, to clutch assembly itself (even torqueing of the pressure plate cover and being careful with the discs when aligning the transmission intake shaft), etc. I documented my recent ordeal with a mild transmission rebuild and clutch replacement here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/203689-Need-a-new-clutch-Considerations-for-older-cars-or-high-mileage-ones/page3

I'm sorry yours is shuddering, but there are quite a few happy users of this clutch that experience no shudder. I have minimal shudder in my HMG12SD, so minimal that it has been better than two previous OEM clutches (the car's been with me for 15 years now and many spirited miles).

Oh wait, yeah I see that info in the book Shad left me. Technically speaking, I am being easy on the clutch by engaging it lightly on take off. Second gear, well that’s a different story.:biggrin: The clutch has very minimal shudder. But it is still there. It’s not terrible. But it isn’t oem smooth. I’ll live with it. Notice in the videos how I get thrown back just easing into first gear. It just grabs very quickly.

Last edited:
I guess we all have our own opinion on what constitutes an acceptable amount of shudder, so if you say it isn't terrible, then I guess that's a small price to pay for having a clutch that can take a lot more torque than OEM.

It looks like you're having a lot of fun in the videos! I'm amazed at the nonexistent supercharger whine. That thing is quiet....

I guess we all have our own opinion on what constitutes an acceptable amount of shudder, so if you say it isn't terrible, then I guess that's a small price to pay for having a clutch that can take a lot more torque than OEM.

It looks like you're having a lot of fun in the videos! I'm amazed at the nonexistent supercharger whine. That thing is quiet....[/QUOTE
I get ya Mac, no harm no foul. Just saying that sometimes I have made purchases on things based off of reviews here that were not totally transparent. It’s all aftermarket. A give and take. It’s a good clutch and the oem would be melted under this power. If I were NA, I would 100% stay oem. If boosted, this is a solid clutch that I would compare to my previous CT power grip 2.
As for the new supercharger, my Lysholm was very similar. But, it did have what I would call pump drone. It had a awesome mechanical type sound. This new whipple has zero... I mean zero noise. The only sound I think I hear is the sound of the engine gulping in air at 9 psi boost. But the engine is far louder than it has been. I think I should try to buy a mic for the go pro so it can pick up the beastly sound this thing makes. No whistle, no sneeze, no lag, just go daddy go....😀

This was a take off of my old Lysholm blower. It’s hard to hear, but there is a non oem type sound which isn’t really whine.
https://youtu.be/RF_4crNTKzE

Jinks, glad you're finally enjoying it again. But man, drop that bro grip - with all that power you need to be able yo correct quickly. Use 9/3 grip or something. Stay safe and hope you can make it to NorCal for NSXPO.

Jinks, glad you're finally enjoying it again. But man, drop that bro grip - with all that power you need to be able yo correct quickly. Use 9/3 grip or something. Stay safe and hope you can make it to NorCal for NSXPO.
Thanks brother. Car is 100% different. I have to learn how to drive it all over again. But even so, it’s fun. Trust me, I can hold a slide when I know the car. I do not think I will make the expo. I just left California!!! Lol. Enjoying the palm trees and heated pool down here too much. ;-) I hope you guys have an awesome time though. I miss the Nor-Cal crew. Good folks there....

haha never heard the high noon one hander called the Bro....but it fits:biggrin:

Stop hatin on my southernplayeristic driving technique.:biggrin:

Not hating, just want you to stay safe. Sucks you can't make it to NorCal for NSXPO..
Last year they have expo in Florida. This year, it’s in California in my old back yard....:mad:

Ahhhhhh. Working in the garage now is tits. Coldest room in the house! Don’t ask me how I did it, but I managed to install this through a concrete wall in 4.5 hours while I worked in two commercial ice machine service calls. But I do have a bit of heat rash... For those up north, yeah, it’s 85 degrees here daily.:cool:
View attachment 151530View attachment 151531

That is too awesome! I want one of those...curious what something like that would run +install?
A few grand. I paid 1800 for the 2 ton unit, line sets, stand, and plastic and install myself. They’re easy to install but a pain in the neck due to being so compact. The evaporator is especially tough to connect with all the refrigerant lines, electrical, and drain line stuffed behind it..

They've had those style units in Asia for decades but I wonder why i've only started seeing them maybe 5yrs ago here. Call me ignorant :) I love them. So much more scalable. I'm swapping over my building's antique roof tops for these slowly over the next 10yrs.

They've had those style units in Asia for decades but I wonder why i've only started seeing them maybe 5yrs ago here. Call me ignorant :) I love them. So much more scalable. I'm swapping over my building's antique roof tops for these slowly over the next 10yrs.
They make cassette style evaporators if you want to use ducts in a drop ceiling and not wall mount. They also have city multi units which utilize one common condensing unit with branch controllers to connect multiple evaporators. About 10 years ago we installed 150 evaporators in the marines memorial hotel in downtown SF and we only used 4 condensing units with multiple branch controllers. It was a multi million dollar job but their only option to add cooling as the building was historic.

Last edited:
They make cassette style evaporators if you want to use ducts in a drop ceiling and not wall mount. They also have city multi units which utilize one common condensing unit with branch controllers to connect multiple evaporators. About 10 years ago we installed 150 evaporators in the marines memorial hotel in downtown SF and we only used 4 condensing units with multiple branch controllers. It was a multi million dollar job but their only option to add cooling as the building was historic.
timely post! I was just looking at this yesterday. One of our units is on it's last legs and uses up so much current. My office is broken up into 8 rooms about 1000-1500sf each but rooms are not evenly configured. AC is broken up into 4 different size and different aged roof top units (they are friggin ancient) that serves the entire building. I think one Mitsubishi evaporator/compressor can support 4-6 wall fan units so one wall fan unit for each room. I might be calling these the wrong things. I reckon I need about 25000-50000 BTUs but I really have no clue. Was hoping to phase out the old units over the next 10yrs but summer was hot last yr so maybe forced to do this earlier.

Is there a guide or something I can read so I can better estimate my usage and therefore hardware requirements? I really like the modular idea of these new ductless units. Just to think.. I'll have all this free'd up crawl space and some wall space freed up too because it's a 2 story building.

Oh one last question.. can you meter each wall fan unit separately like in a rental scenario?

Last edited:
timely post! I was just looking at this yesterday. One of our units is on it's last legs and uses up so much current. My office is broken up into 8 rooms about 1000-1500sf each but rooms evenly spread
configured broken up into 4 different size and different aged roof top units (they are friggin ancient). I think one Mitsubishi evaporator/compressor can support 4-6 wall fan units so one wall fan unit for each room. I might be calling these the wrong things. I reckon I need about 25000-50000 BTUs but I really have no clue. Was hoping to phase out the old units over the next 10yrs but summer was hot last yr so maybe forced to do this earlier.

Is there a guide or something I can read so I can better estimate my usage and therefore hardware requirements? I really like the modular idea of these new ductless units. Just to think.. I'll have all this free'd up crawl space and some wall space freed up too because it's a 2 story building.

Try a look here. I always go .5 ton higher per room spec though cause it only gets hotter each year. They make zone systems which you can hook up to evaporators/wall units without the need for branch controllers. I think the zone systems might only go up to 4 or 5 ton but I don’t install these much so I could be incorrect.
http://mitsubishiacdealers.com/info/what-size-system

Back