• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just another j32 swap + 6-speed

What solved your alternator issue? Awesome thread

Thanks, I had short with the alternator output signal wire from the ECU connector to gauge cluster. I got new alternator but that did not help, with mingling of the wires something got shorted on output wire, I run new wire from gauge cluster to ECU connector and light goes out after engine starts.

That might solve my problem. I started experiencing flickering light after having my alternator rebuilt. I had the rebuilt alternator tested at multiple places, they all said it’s good.

That might solve my problem. I started experiencing flickering light after having my alternator rebuilt. I had the rebuilt alternator tested at multiple places, they all said it’s good.

I'm assuming you are also running Jswap. Yea it was bothering me and I check, and double checked and checked some more and all was correct. It's a simple charging system and as part of troubleshooting I run external cables to all of the connections and that is how I narrowed it down to signal wire to gauge cluster. If you need wiring diagram just PM me.

After installing 67mm throttle body, ported runners and TB spacer as suspected I don’t feel too much top end difference, I bet it would need dyno to see before and after. But what I do notice is nice woosh sound when pushing gas pedal in the intake and when getting on throttle in mid range, it kinda feels more peppy.

00261442f3a64c5605602c7ccd263daa.jpg

eb078503e8d05b2a37361a667439e324.jpg

Made this 1” throttle body spacer, that after installing needed longer coolant hose to throttle body as the oem did not reach it anymore. It also pushed the intake air filter box all the way to the side wall. But it fits!
b2a43a1fa8e737516db544aafc27193e.jpg

I worried that the 1" throttle body space would impact idle but it idles just as good as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Love this build. What if you considered putting small velocity stacks on top of the intake runners? Or does the manifold cover already have them?

Love this build. What if you considered putting small velocity stacks on top of the intake runners? Or does the manifold cover already have them?

Good idea, thx. I didn't know there is so much science in NA J-series engine intake. You made me research it and it looks like Honda "17101-PGK-A00" Part number (sold as pair) from MDX 3.5 is good swap for J32A2. The velocity stacks are inside the intake manifold.
These extended intake manifold velocity stacks come standard on J35A3 engines found in 2001-02 Acura MDXs. It looks like they are commonly swapped into J32A2 engines to lengthen the runners inside the manifold. Another bolt on that sounds good in theory but for around $40 for OEM I'm not going to argue and order it already.

Man! You are absolutely AMAZING! I envy you the fact that you know so much about machining and fabrication of parts. My knowledge lies in other areas, but this is so impressive!

Very nice build! Do you have any idea of the weightbalance of the car as the J32 looks more central placed over the C30 engine....

Very nice build! Do you have any idea of the weightbalance of the car as the J32 looks more central placed over the C30 engine....

Thanks! The engine fits very snug and if anything it's maybe an inch taller but that is due to the large intake sitting directly on top of the engine. There is not much fine tuning of the engine mounts because the 6-speed tranny housing is already very close to the rear engine beam. I forgot but I think someone here weighted both the C30 and J32 engine and the J32 was much lighter, it must be because it's single cam vtec. The weight balance must be very close to the original configuration but I don't know for sure, I don't have any way to check.

It has been a while but I manage to install the stocks. Small correction they do not come in pairs from dealer. I ordered my and waited almost two months to find out I got only one side. I then ordered an mdx intake from Ebay to source the other side. I didn’t notice any difference, maybe I need to drive some more. Moving from stop is pepier but I think this was already like that after I did the porting and throttle body. If there is any benefit in mdx stocks it would have to be dyno and compare before and after. As I’m running of things to upgrade I’m at cross roads either to sell this engine as kit and install something that I been dreaming for years, for nsx purist please don’t read any farther ;) I been planning on dropping Tesla drive unit to replace gas engine, I done a ton of research on it and already have parts list compiled but every time I drive the car I change my mind because how good it drives. So this might be just a dream for time being. My to other ideas are either replace alternator with eAssist motor/generator that should add about 70tq to the crank or get rlx rear electric motor and retrofit then to front making na1 awd. Any way I got it’s going to be a lot of fabrications and work on electric side. I have not decided what direction I’ll go yet but I don’t want to do turbo or supercharger. For now the car drives awesome, the CLS 6speed tranny is perfect match to this engine and I also started to like the RPM bump the oem ECU does. I’ll do a review on YouTube when I get some time with some quick tips like not using silicone vac hose for power brake assist as when the engine bay gets hot you will notice hard brake pedal because vac port on intake is on the rear of the intake and the hose would closeup etc..

The old CLS stocks are so tiny comparing to mdx. Top are from MDX and bottom are from CLS
2d6a47f342a5a29493b751ba6f8658c0.jpg

Here is before and after.
ed22d54381c47d0466c2d502f59623c1.jpg
a7e3ca0a12b0cc4e5d1e16dd5e54227b.jpg

Both sides installed
01ea5837df1d9e5db05bcc450a973a1a.jpg

The axles got here today :) now I just can't wait to install them but will not get any time until the weekend. They do look very well done. More then I will ever need.

a2fb4111cdc16d406aafbd45ca0b9d4f.jpg

Having just completed compiling axle info for another Honda transmission project, the very first thing I looked at in this picture was if your axle's outer splined region was larger than the inner splined region. It appears to be.

Take a look at this link. It shows some of the specifications for the CV axle half shaft. I selected 1997 Acura NSX 3.2L V6 on Rockauto.com
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3855711
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7302756

NSX axles are:
31 spline inner, 30 spline outer.

As I'm sure you know by now, the LSD in your J32A2 trans is designed for 29 spline inner joints, and the CL hubs are probably 28 spline (there's no point in looking it up). I recently had to find a solution for using a 2012 AWD TL transmission on a 7th gen Accord. Buddy of mine is doing an AWD conversion that's being built by Don @ RPM systems in New York. I provided them with a solution using OEM, off the shelf components.

7th gen Accord
29 spline inner, 28 spline outer.

8th gen Accord
29 spline inner, 30 spline outer.

2010-2014 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT
31 spline inner, 30 spline outer.

You can Frankenstein the axles to make a setup that works. Me being the transmission guy that I am, and having figured out much more about these J series transmissions than I originally planned -- I am able to use an FK8 Type R LSD in my J-series transmission, and it accommodates the larger, 31 spline inner joints. If I don't wish to modify the transmission casing, I am able to use a seal from a Toyota Rav4 for one axle seal, and I forget where I sourced the other axle seal (it's in my notes).

If one were to use something like the FK8 LSD in a transmission like yours, it's possible that you might be able to line the transmission up so that the original, OEM NSX axles can be used.

Hi Bense, that is excellent finding! When I was working on this I had no idea what will fit and custom axles was the only way that I know at the time to make it work. This is great news for anyone going Jswap as it could save a lot. Personally I'm very happy with the swap, and after years always wanting 6speed this was perfect time to get it all at once. I don't know too much about the gear ratios and real world experience with different setups but it looks like you are the tranny guru when it comes to it. I read your threads several times it's tempting to try your custom setup but I have couple of other projects that I'm stuck on.

Hi nsxmugen, I want to say that I really like your build! Very well done. I've had an nsx for some time now and I had an account in here but I changed phones and I can't remember my login or email I used so I had to make a new account. I currently have a 5 speed with type r final drive and jdm short gears and I love it however I always wanted a 6 speed but the cost is outrageous. I've read tour thread and also saw bense input with the hearing which was fascinating. I did most of the work on my nsx myself however to custom make brackets and mounts is a little beyond my expertise. I wouldn't mind finding a j32a2 6 speed tranny and mount it to my c30a as it does line up. However is also thought may e a 6 speed I tranny? Inlinepro makes a bell housing adapter from gen 1 j to k trans. Since the c30a and j32a2 line up I assume the adaptor would line up to the c30a? Otherwise some measurements would need to be done also custom linkage. Just a thought with this idea since k trans is very easy to get a hold of.

Hi nsxmugen, I want to say that I am very impressed by your build. Very well done and thought out process. I wanted to add a question in here that maybe you and/or Bense could explore. I have a 92 NSX with many mods and others coming (see my profile), I currently have a JDM type R 5 speed trans and I always wanted to go 6 speed, however the cost on the NSX 6 speed in crazy... So I have been doing some research to see if a J trans from a J32A would work on the C30A. From my findings it looks like it will all line up however it would need to modification, custom shafts, different size throw out bearing, NSX clutch and flywheel? I know you have done extensive work on fabrication to make this build work and i'm hoping you can shed some light on this? Another option I perhaps found would be a K trans? Inlinepro makes a gen1 J trans to k bell housing adapter, if the J32 housing lines up then perhaps we could even use much more common k transmission on the c engines.

Otherwise I want to give you 2 thumbs up to your build, very well done!

Hi nsxmugen, I want to say that I am very impressed by your build. Very well done and thought out process. I wanted to add a question in here that maybe you and/or Bense could explore. I have a 92 NSX with many mods and others coming (see my profile), I currently have a JDM type R 5 speed trans and I always wanted to go 6 speed, however the cost on the NSX 6 speed in crazy... So I have been doing some research to see if a J trans from a J32A would work on the C30A. From my findings it looks like it will all line up however it would need to modification, custom shafts, different size throw out bearing, NSX clutch and flywheel? I know you have done extensive work on fabrication to make this build work and i'm hoping you can shed some light on this? Another option I perhaps found would be a K trans? Inlinepro makes a gen1 J trans to k bell housing adapter, if the J32 housing lines up then perhaps we could even use much more common k transmission on the c engines.

Otherwise I want to give you 2 thumbs up to your build, very well done!

Hi Mario92NSX, it's a good question. I don't know the exact answer but if you use J32 6speed tranny I think you will need J32 clutch due to the clutch slave cylinder is on the op-positive side. I think the C30 engine has pull and the J32 has push type slave cylinder on the pilot bearing. This needs to work with the clutch from J32 setup. I don't know the bolt pattern of the flywheel on the J32 flywheel but it would have to be mounted to C30 engine somehow. It might be the same or close, maybe a spacer is needed but I have not heard of anyone go this way. Then you will still need custom axles or Bense option. It sounds like something that can be done but there is a lot of unknown.

I'm sure Bense can help you with picking up the right gear ratios on your 5speed to get it more interesting. It might be easier route, but anything is possible with time and money. Just like you I always wanted 6speed for years, then my engine give away so it was just making more sense to use full swap for me. I quickly forgot the lower rpm line and love that thing, but I don't think I would ever go with J32 6speed tranny on my C30 engine if I had perfectly running engine. Just my 2c, if I miss something please someone add or correct me.

Hey nsxmugen,
Thanks for taking the time to write back. I appreciate the info. I'm actually building my c30 with high comp pistons, toda cams and nitrous over next winter and because I'll have the whole motor out I'm looking to see if I can find a cheap j32a2 with 6 speed trans so I can see what works together and what's needed. I saw on your post that you made some custom brackets for the shift linkage and trans mount. Do you sell those? I contacted Sos recently and they said they have there j swap kit coming out mid 2020 and are considering a j transmission to c engine kit as well. It wont be now but that could be usefull in the future. What could be even better is using k trans as there are more and gearing for those is unlimited. I would be great for us to upgrade to a modern transmission. Just in building my jdm type r 5 speed I found out how rare parts are getting. I couldn't get the jdm main shaft 4th gear, its nla everywhere. So I did jdm 2 and 3 and usdm 4 and 5. It actually drives great but I dont know the comparison to the jdm 4th gear.

Otherwise again, great build! How is the power compared to your ex c30? I know with some work tou can spin that motor to 8k np and make some nice power. Have u considered opening it up and doing some work?

Hey nsxmugen,
Thanks for taking the time to write back. I appreciate the info. I'm actually building my c30 with high comp pistons, toda cams and nitrous over next winter and because I'll have the whole motor out I'm looking to see if I can find a cheap j32a2 with 6 speed trans so I can see what works together and what's needed. I saw on your post that you made some custom brackets for the shift linkage and trans mount. Do you sell those? I contacted Sos recently and they said they have there j swap kit coming out mid 2020 and are considering a j transmission to c engine kit as well. It wont be now but that could be usefull in the future. What could be even better is using k trans as there are more and gearing for those is unlimited. I would be great for us to upgrade to a modern transmission. Just in building my jdm type r 5 speed I found out how rare parts are getting. I couldn't get the jdm main shaft 4th gear, its nla everywhere. So I did jdm 2 and 3 and usdm 4 and 5. It actually drives great but I dont know the comparison to the jdm 4th gear.

Otherwise again, great build! How is the power compared to your ex c30? I know with some work tou can spin that motor to 8k np and make some nice power. Have u considered opening it up and doing some work?

Gotcha, yea if you have the motor out you can spend some time on get it working. Yes, I still have the cad files for the shift linkage and tranny mount, if you go that route I can help you with it. Oh, that is awesome news that SOS is working on a kit, I'm curious how they fab the linkage cables if they offer 6speed option. I guess you can start with matching the flywheel/clutch to C30 and then go from there. The biggest cost is the axles but ping Banse as I think his option is much more wallet friendly.

I run oem ecu and just some bolt-ons, the major thing for me is reliability. Currently it's rock solid, no oil drips under car, starts in 20F or 80F temp with first crank of the key, no engine light, it just runs. I had custom single turbo for almost 15years and as much as I enjoy it, I'm over it, constant worry about oil what not and even that I build my motor and it got everything the best it still span a crank bearing. This time I want to try keeping it NA but I'm working on a electric motor assistance to the crank, I'm just stuck on getting canbus commands for for the electric motor, I might have to source a donor car that the system come out of to log it. If that project fails I'll go rotrex supercharger. The current power is very similar to c30. The 1st gear is very short so you get up to the higher revs quick and I bounce the rev meter time to time as the engine sounds like it can go higher. Only if you drive back to back c30 then j32 you will notice the differences but it's very similar. The vtec on j32 is much more noticeable in the exhaust sound then c30 in my opinion. I come to peace with that its single over head vtec and the the red line is lower. I beat on it with out feeling sorry for the engine or tranny.

If you could help with those files that would be great! It would be really nice to see if we can find a cheaper 6 speed option. Not much difference between the j and c tranny. The nest would be a k tranny swap but that would require a custom adapter and some fab work but imagine a k20c tranny on the nsx...

I agree with you on the reliability factor, that's why I'm staying all motor myself. I know I'll be limited to about 370 hp or so, maybe a bit more as I'll be taking it just over 9k rpm but I doubt too much more. However with toda cams, high compression pistons and itb's it's going to sound unreal. I like the rotrex idea, I always believe the supercharger are much more reliable than turbo cars especially on n/a engines since tuning is similar. I guess you would need custom brackets? Do they make a kit for the j series? Also you would need a custom cooling setup. An aftercooler before the throttle body with a water to water intercooler at the front? You would need to run a lot of piping for that (return and feed) and an ignition switched electric water pump. Unless you can find a place at th4 back that gets a good amount on cool air. That would be a nice setup though, even low boost you should see 420+ with high boost around 500 as long as you have enough fuel.

If you could help with those files that would be great! It would be really nice to see if we can find a cheaper 6 speed option. Not much difference between the j and c tranny. The nest would be a k tranny swap but that would require a custom adapter and some fab work but imagine a k20c tranny on the nsx...

I agree with you on the reliability factor, that's why I'm staying all motor myself. I know I'll be limited to about 370 hp or so, maybe a bit more as I'll be taking it just over 9k rpm but I doubt too much more. However with toda cams, high compression pistons and itb's it's going to sound unreal. I like the rotrex idea, I always believe the supercharger are much more reliable than turbo cars especially on n/a engines since tuning is similar. I guess you would need custom brackets? Do they make a kit for the j series? Also you would need a custom cooling setup. An aftercooler before the throttle body with a water to water intercooler at the front? You would need to run a lot of piping for that (return and feed) and an ignition switched electric water pump. Unless you can find a place at th4 back that gets a good amount on cool air. That would be a nice setup though, even low boost you should see 420+ with high boost around 500 as long as you have enough fuel.

Personally I'm all done with the swap since all is working and I have no reason to modify anything on it. Hoping to dyno it in spring. But as you go with your project I can assist.

For rotrex supercharger yes, there is a kit for J series, but the rotrex supercharger is in place of the AC compressor. So a lot of people are replacing the belt driven AC compressor with electric AC compressor and mounting it in different location. The rotrex supercharger fits in that space pretty well, and low boost it does not require a intercooler but of course I think it would be a must to go water intercooler. rotrex supercharger does not use oil from the engine, it is stand alone oiling system that has oil pump in the compressor housing. All the rotrex superchargers I seen come with oil tank and small radiator for cooling. The piping should not be that long or move the supercharger to throttle body side like BBSC. I have not look in to this too much as I'm key on getting that electric motor assist project moving.

Do you mean putting Honda's ima on that j engine or electric motors powering the front wheels?

No, not honda's IMA. I want to replace alternator with a electric motor-generator connected over belt like a supercharger. The electric motor will connect to DC/AC inverter and DC to DC converter to get onboard 12v. All will run from a 130v battery pack. It will provide 70TQ off the line at 0rpms and will recharge the batteries as needed. I removed the system from Buick lacrosse and as far as fitment goes it will fit but I run in to a wall where I need canbus commands to control the system. Only way to do it is find Lacrosse and run frame capturing from GMlan and canbus high/low. Then filter the ID's and replay back. Process is straight forward but I can't find lacrosse around me, and I'll try to stay away from buying a car just to get 30min of logging done on it.

Plan B is get like a AC-50 motor and do the same but with curtis controller that is full aftermarket that is documented and controlling is not an issue. The AC-50 is 120TQ and is much larger, might be too big but adding 120TQ sure would be nice. I know at this point it will need new clutch as I run oem dual-mas. If I sink money in it and it does not fit in engine bay with AC-50 then yes I'll try to get it on the front. There is plenty of space under the hood to fit electric motor but the ABS system have to be moved or removed and shocks on lower control arms moved about two inches as the axle from the wheel hub will need a clearance. The steering rack is close but it will clear it. Frame would have to be cut in and modify to allow clearances. It sounds like a lot of work, but I like to fabricate and I'm not in any rush to finish it. I been dreaming to get the front wheels on electric motor for years now and spec out what is needed, I'm reluctant to share as the hard core nsx purist will stone me for even mentioning anything like that. But I like it and it just keeps me busy in my spare time.

Is something going on with this forum? I'm getting email alerts about updates, yet when I check these threads, there's no update. 🤔

Is something going on with this forum? I'm getting email alerts about updates, yet when I check these threads, there's no update. 🤔

It's the ancient forum software. I released a bunch of posts that got stuck in the moderation queue yesterday, so you might be seeing those.

Back