• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just bought my dream NSX finally…

I’ve been looking and lurking for a well sorted car. Missed out on the auction for the same at on BAT last year but had the chance to purchase it outright…from a dealer though. I believe it was represented by the Dude on the forum last year. Same VIN, formula red car with 20k miles. Anyway, money wasn’t necessarily an issue. I probably overpaid a little but these cars just seem to climb and climb every year and I just couldn’t wait any longer. And I wanted that car to get me the closest experience to buying new back when I couldn’t afford one. I was on the waitlist to get an allocation for the new 911 992 carrera s with 2 people ahead of me but cancelled that to get the perfect NSX I always wanted when I saw the same one for sale in Knoxville TN at a Mercedes dealer of all places. You can always get a new 911 if you have the money but it seems the market for NSX has gotten tight especially for the kind I want. I’m pretty OCD about the condition but I am buying it to drive it despite what everyone says about driving 20k mile NSX is like pissing money out the window. Lol. My car and money I suppose…

I live in PA and will head down to TN next weekend to pick up the new car. Then road trip back to PA unless the weather turns. In that case, I’ll fly back and car gets shipped.

I’m beyond excited. I own a 93 300ZX as well and just love love the cars from this era. They’ll be excellent 90s stablemates in the garage. I’ve owned some powerful cars with crazy specs but kept coming back to the NSX. Hope I can make the trip with minimal dings or issues…I’ve been lurking for years but finally joined today.

Sorry for the double post. I didn’t know it had actually gone through. Lol.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking and lurking for a well sorted car. Missed out on the auction for the same at on BAT last year but had the chance to purchase it outright…from a dealer though. I believe it was represented by the Dude on the forum last year. Same VIN, formula red car with 20k miles. Anyway, money wasn’t necessarily an issue. I probably overpaid a little but these cars just seem to climb and climb every year and I just couldn’t wait any longer. And I wanted that car to get me the closest experience to buying new back when I couldn’t afford one. I was on the waitlist to get an allocation for the new 911 992 carrera s with 2 people ahead of me but cancelled that to get the perfect NSX I always wanted when I saw the same one for sale in Knoxville TN at a Mercedes dealer of all places. You can always get a new 911 if you have the money but it seems the market for NSX has gotten tight especially for the kind I want. I’m pretty OCD about the condition but I am buying it to drive it despite what everyone says about driving 20k mile NSX is like pissing money out the window. Lol. My car and money I suppose…

I live in PA and will head down to TN next weekend to pick up the new car. Then road trip back to PA unless the weather turns. In that case, I’ll fly back and car gets shipped.

I’m beyond excited. I own a 93 300ZX as well and just love love the cars from this era. They’ll be excellent 90s stablemates in the garage. I’ve owned some powerful cars with crazy specs but kept coming back to the NSX. Hope I can make the trip with minimal dings or issues…I’ve been lurking for years but finally joined today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to NSX Prime!!

What year is your NSX? Even the 2005's are getting old now LOL. You should be prepared to spend some more on some of the things that will need addressing. Lot's of info here and helpful folks. Post pics when you get it!

Bought a 95 NSX-T

Just wired the money on this formula red NSX down at a Mercedes Benz dealer in Knoxville TN. VIN JH4NA1185ST000105 I watched the BAT auction on this when it sold for $97k. Thought about bidding then but had other cars to clear out before doing that. Now that I sold off couple of my cars, I ended up buying this one. It’s changed hands too many times in the last 3 years. I have no idea why. I’m buying the car to drive it. It won’t be a daily but I plan to drive it every weekend, weather permitting.

I could’ve bought one with higher miles and saved some money. But i wanted one that got me closer to the showroom feel when it was new. I cancelled my allocation for 911 carrera S for this car. I’ve had some fast cars with dual clutch or ZF auto recently…just kept looking back to the NSX being that gen x guy who listed after these cars but couldn’t quite afford it then. Now that I could, I finally pulled the trigger. I am paying a premium for it but I don’t see these cars depreciating since I started shopping for one. And this car I believe was represented by the Dude on this forum and is in fantastic condition.

I’m picking her up this weekend and will drive it up with my son. About 500 miles which is way more than last two owners drove. On one hand I feel like mileage will make the car depreciate a bit perhaps, but I honestly bought it to drive it and enjoy it. And if I piss away some money in the process, luckily I’m in good position to do so. I bought some temporary paint protection film for the ride and get it ppf’d and ceramic coated once she gets home.

If any previous owners or the dude wants to chime in about this car, please let me know! Happy to join the forum.

Sorry for the double post by the way. I wasn’t sure first post had gone through and reposted this one.

Last edited:
Just wired the money on this formula red NSX down at a Mercedes Benz dealer in Knoxville TN. VIN JH4NA1185ST000105 I watched the BAT auction on this when it sold for $97k. Thought about bidding then but had other cars to clear out before doing that. Now that I sold off couple of my cars, I ended up buying this one. It’s changed hands too many times in the last 3 years. I have no idea why. I’m buying the car to drive it. It won’t be a daily but I plan to drive it every weekend, weather permitting.

I could’ve bought one with higher miles and saved some money. But i wanted one that got me closer to the showroom feel when it was new. I cancelled my allocation for 911 carrera S for this car. I’ve had some fast cars with dual clutch or ZF auto recently…just kept looking back to the NSX being that gen x guy who listed after these cars but couldn’t quite afford it then. Now that I could, I finally pulled the trigger. I am paying a premium for it but I don’t see these cars depreciating since I started shopping for one. And this car I believe was represented by the Dude on this forum and is in fantastic condition.

I’m picking her up this weekend and will drive it up with my son. About 500 miles which is way more than last two owners drove. On one hand I feel like mileage will make the car depreciate a bit perhaps, but I honestly bought it to drive it and enjoy it. And if I piss away some money in the process, luckily I’m in good position to do so. I bought some temporary paint protection film for the ride and get it ppf’d and ceramic coated once she gets home.

If any previous owners or the dude wants to chime in about this car, please let me know! Happy to join the forum.

Welcome to NSX Prime! Congrats on the 95 and you are correct, prices are not going down anytime soon. Obviously we're all a bit biased here, but I think you made a good choice. If you are looking for a pure driving experience, the Gen1 NSX is about as good as it gets. It's not about speed anymore, as $50kish these days can buy you enough speed to really get yourself in trouble in dozens of different cars. And they all kind of feel the same. The NSX is special. The NSX-T makes it even more fun because you not only get the NSX driving experience, but you also can do it in open air! You should definitely check out [MENTION=5544]VANSXTC[/MENTION] 's sticky thread here for new owners. It's a must-read.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/215232-Thoughts-from-a-20-year-NSX-Owner-to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Keep in mind, while the NSX is a phenomenal car, it is now considered a classic car. That means things are wearing out after 25 years that, even on a Honda, need to be replaced. The good news is that Honda will continue parts support for the NSX until at least 2030. The bad news is that parts are expensive and many now need to be ordered directly from Japan as the Acura parts supply chain has discontinued them.

A few years ago, a run of multiple, short-term owners was a red flag- it usually indicated something seriously wrong with the car- either major mechanical issues (engine/trans) or a serious, undisclosed structural problem (think bad accident, shoddy repair and a quick flip). These days, I'm not so sure. With the prices being what they are, I think these owners are likely just flippers looking to make a quick buck. But still, it might be worth having a NSX expert look the car over. Don't bother with the Acura dealer- most are useless at this point with the Gen1 NSX. I don't know if the Barnman is still working, but he is based in TN and he is a legit expert.

Thanks for the welcome and great feedback/info. I think this car is likely a victim of flips. It was barely driven since it was sold at Barrett Jackson one year and on BAT next. Every change of hands, the price went up by about 10k. I honestly didn’t want to buy the car at a dealer but it’s not like the inventory is plentiful these days…there is a local black one but I just can’t get into a black NSX, no offense to anyone. It was red all the way and I’m a sucker for T top cars like my 300zx.

And you’re totally right. My last car was a ‘19 RS5 sportback and the novelty of fast launches got old very fast. I think if I kept that car longer, I would’ve ended up in jail for sure. To get any real thrill out of it, I found myself going $120mph plus…and driving like a complete lunatic. I wanted to scratch that 911 itch and had a allocation deposit on it but felt that it would’ve been more of the same. I also considered the new R35 GTR but again, I think the numbers don’t make a car fun to drive. I honestly don’t need my cars to do 0-60 in 3 seconds. It’s cool the first few times and as a party trick. I kept coming back to my old s2000 experience. It was a thrilling car to get the shifts just right from first to second…and being able to use most of that power on the weekends. Great shifter and feeling like a hero in the backroads going the legal speed or slightly more but feeling like you’re doing much more speed. I think if I wait to scratch that 911 itch, then NSX would be unattainable with the market the way it is. The remaining cars are few and far, at least where I am in PA.

Welcome to the site! I'm also a newer owner and have had my NSX for about 4 months and drive it a few times a week usually. It's still putting a smile on my face every time I'm in it and super glad I picked it up now before they really get priced out for a lot of potential owners.

I'm also blown away at the support here on the forums, the FB page, and through NSXCA (Nsx Owners Club of America). Really one of the best car communities I've been in over the last 25 years of owning a variety of cars.

Cant wait to see some pics!

welcome ...where in Pa are you?

***MODERATOR NOTE***

Merged these two threads.

I’m in Hershey Pa. Would love to meet with other PA folks in the future!

Docjohn is another PA guy- his 96 "Bumblebee" is a NSX legend and, if things go well, you can get a peak at a 2022 NSX Type S there too... :D I think [MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION]lives in PA also. Also, if you ever want to see my old 91, it's being lovingly cared for by [MENTION=31359]jazzmann[/MENTION] who is outside of Philly.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats! I'm Will, live in the West Chester area about 45 minutes SW of Philadelphia. I think I saw in a now-deleted post that you're in the Hershey area? Back around 2015 when I joined there was another owner, [MENTION=28811]tdiantonio[/MENTION], nearby in Downingtown, he may still be around too. Hershey's not far and I remember the roads being really nice when I was riding my motorcycle out there. Maybe a few of us can get together before the weather gets cold.

Welcome and congrats! I'm Will, live in the West Chester area about 45 minutes SW of Philadelphia. I think I saw in a now-deleted post that you're in the Hershey area? Back around 2015 when I joined there was another owner, [MENTION=28811]tdiantonio[/MENTION], nearby in Downingtown, he may still be around too. Hershey's not far and I remember the roads being really nice when I was riding my motorcycle out there. Maybe a few of us can get together before the weather gets cold.

For sure. I’d love to meet other NSX owners in the future! I’m a bit nervous about driving the car back now that it’s getting closer to reality. I do have temporary paint protection film in a bottle ready to paint on but it’s not supposed to really hold up in the rain and it’s seems rain might be in the forecast…I guess I’ll take it easy and stay away from the trucks and other cars. Lol. I’ll take a lot of pictures along the way.

Welcome to the club. A 95 NSX was my first NSX purchase. Great memories of how it felt to own that car, especially the early days of ownership. I modded the crap out of the stereo system and purchased a 2 post lift just to be sure the car had a high perch and was safe from the other cars (and a daughter that turned 16 and was starting to drive).

You're going to love the car. Probably wont be the last NSX you own. :)

Cheers!

Congrats! Enjoy the drive home with your son. I just drove cross-country and back with my 15-year-old son for NSXPO last month, and it was a memorable trip for both of us.

Picked up her and on day 2 of the drive! It was driven 10 miles in the last 2 years but I’ve already done 350 miles today. Lol. What a car! Steering on these cars is just unbelievable compared to the modern cars I’ve owned recently. And the shifter is just so mechanical. In love and it’s been a great road trip so far. Staying in the mountains of West Virginia tonight and driving here was just epic.

I have a feeling I’m going to have like 4 posts approved at the same time since I’m new to the forum. Anyway, the road trip was just fantastic. All in all, 3 stops at the gas station. Every stop, I had compliments, stares and thumbs ups. It was fantastic and really enjoyed the experience! I’ve had so many cars speed up and slow down just to checkout the car etc. Day 3 of the trip, we drove in the mountains of West Virginia and this is where the car felt at home with so many twisties! We parked the car at the prospect overlook and snapped some pictures of the new ride! Again, people driving by and stopping to compliment the car. I never had this much attention in a positive way, and it was flattering. Even my son was saying wow dad I guess NSX must be cool. Lol. 650 mile trip and loved every mile of it! And I think the car missed stretching her legs having sat unloved last few years…

7c0b1200b730f72ad88e836093b640e3.jpg

efe611bd5dfd040f06653e56a7d654e2.jpg

c99fb417c57e376e94e21bdb00b8060b.jpg

[MENTION=38271]NSXnZ[/MENTION]

Congratulations and welcome to the ownership club. [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] has already plugged my thoughts that I have cobbled together after reflection on 20 years of ownership...and have updated in my 21st year. One thing that is special about NSX owners that I have dealt with is they are incredibly giving of their time, parts, and knowledge to help other owners out to keep these great cars running and being enjoyed.

NSXs run best when NSXs are driven regularly.

Enjoy the car and, again, welcome!!! You're "One of Us!!! One of Us!!!' now...

Thanks guys! I tried to reply via tapatalk but it kept saying it needs moderator approval. Hope all those replies don't show up at once. lol. But somehow, it seems to work on my laptop. I made the 660 mile road trip back from Knoxville, via Berkeley springs , WV and made it home safe. The tires had been deflated to 20 psi likely from storage? I had my dewalt air compressor, battery jumper, tool set, mini impact wrench, flat repair kit for the trip...I didn't need any of it other than the compressor. Thank goodness. It turned so many heads and was a conversation piece everywhere I had the car parked. Really a memorable comment from a gentleman who drove a modified civic who pulled into the gas station to say that the NSX is his dream car. It soaked up the miles very nicely, and I think she really appreciated stretching her legs after a long long years of just sitting. Timing belt is about 12 years old...but I still rolled the dice. I'll do some work this winter to refresh everything. It's such a beautiful car. I've been going into the garage to just stare at it. I used the roadwarrior temp paint film and it worked great. Not a rock chip in sight from the trip. I painted the entire front end and fender areas.

I'm in Hershey, PA. Would love to meet other NSX owners. Likely next year though. Need timing belt and some maintenance done on this car this winter!
e7526d4e18795656a4430acf649fc7e9.jpg

5f4e769b6c69914607566e5183213caa.jpg

dbd09645bf9ac3651c04ea1040803ff3.jpg

5eba4dbe397fa504a570ce13ca25817f.jpg

ecbe8fc0424ba8399747dde98fcb87ed.jpg

Last edited:
What are these wires going into my brake fluid reservoir? Never seen anything like it. Lol.
78aa837d2cc20f97012223edd1fdee8b.jpg

It is for set off the brake light on the dash, if the fluid is low.

You will find several neat features within this car...

Bram

Thanks, Bram! At first I thought it was the battery tender wires secured inside the lid.

I had a second look and the wire to the left of the Brake fluid res, is indeed a battery tender wires...
Bram

I didn't see that one until you pointed it out. lol

Great looking car, about 50% of the time you take it out, especially if you stop somewhere you'll end up having a conversation with someone. I rolled the dice driving mine from Ca to Wi with a 7 year old belt, but I'd imagine that the mileage/age requirements on those are way on the conservative side. Glad you made it back alright. Any other work you think it needs?

I would grab some shin-etsu from Honda (there is a thread on the forums here somewhere about it) and grease up all the gaskets and rubber bits. They are probably all dry from storage.

I didn't see that one until you pointed it out. lol

Great looking car, about 50% of the time you take it out, especially if you stop somewhere you'll end up having a conversation with someone. I rolled the dice driving mine from Ca to Wi with a 7 year old belt, but I'd imagine that the mileage/age requirements on those are way on the conservative side. Glad you made it back alright. Any other work you think it needs?

I would grab some shin-etsu from Honda (there is a thread on the forums here somewhere about it) and grease up all the gaskets and rubber bits. They are probably all dry from storage.

Bram,
I noticed that. I just need to buy a tender now. Lol. The wires weren’t secured to anything. Luckily, it didn’t fall onto the pavement during the long trip!

Superhatch,
So true. I went to register the car and had people asking questions and looking around when I came back to the parking lot.

I need to order that shin etsu. I remember reading about it when I had a s2000. Rubber seems to be in pretty good shape. The car is in fantastic condition as far as I can see…But I do need to flush/change all fluids along with the belts as there really is no records on when those were done. I’m a tiny bit hesitant to mod this car…but I did splurg and ordered a RF Yamamoto exhaust from Japan. 45 days to production they said. I probably overpaid along with the car. Lol.

Back