• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just bought my dream NSX finally…

I've owned the car for about 5 months now and I've put on about 9k miles (including the trip back from CA) and I went back and forth about modding as well. You have a much more new-oem car than I do as all my suspension is 180k old, but I'm really amazed at how great the car is stock.

I'll be waiting for a write up on the comparison to the 300ZX!

The kind of cross-country highway cruising you guys did is not the kind of driving that causes timing belt failures. On the NSX, we're really talking about slipping a few teeth on the belt rather than it snapping completely. I know of no NSX that has actually snapped a timing belt- even those running on their original, floppy 30-year old belts that look like a loose rubber band when you remove the timing covers. :eek:

What does you in is running at high RPM and/or rapid acceleration and deceleration into the high-rev range. This puts a fast dynamic load on the belt and, if the belt teeth are sufficiently worn or the tension is too loose, it will skip a tooth (or a few)- typically on the rear exhaust cam gear. Because the C30A is an interference type design, the pistons will meet the valves and result in major engine damage.

I like to think about the service intervals from two perspectives: time and mileage. The time limits are intended to address the material degradation of the rubber on the belt. This can affect the positive engagement between the rubber belt teeth and the metal teeth on the cam gears and drive pulley. Things that affect the rate of degradation are temperature, moisture, contamination (oil, grease, debris) and usage conditions. A heavily tracked car in Phoenix that has none of its timing cover gaskets is going to degrade much faster than one of Kaz's meticulously serviced cars that just cruises up and down the M1 at 65 mph. Honda tried to set the time limits (6 or 7 years) based on what it thought most U.S.-based cars can get away with in terms of degradation. History tells us there is a lot of safety margin here. I think for most cars, a 10-year time interval is ok.

The mileage interval is mostly intended to address belt tension. The NSX does not have a self-adjusting tensioner. Once you set it, you have to live with that tension for the entire service interval. Over time, just from running, the belt will stretch and lose tension. We know that the mileage limits also have a safety margin- there are hundreds of NSXs out there running on their original belts and well over 100,000 miles. But, I think the Honda mileage limits are a good metric to use. Practically speaking though, who will actually drive their NSX 90,000 miles in the next 7 years?

Thus, we're really talking about the time limits. I think the 10-year number is a reasonable one. It also lines up nicely with the Stage 1 engine refresh (heads stay on) and crank pulley replacement.

Honcho,
Thanks for that. First, I want to say this forum is just a notch above the other forums I’ve been part of. Just the amount of info available is amazing as well as the knowledge of the platform by the members.

Makes perfect sense with the timing belt. I do have to drive it one more time this week to get it inspected…I’ll take it easy. I have the timing belt parts on order and I’ll be doing that soon. I ran into the same issue with my Z which only had 29k but the previous owner hadn’t touched it. It was kept in a random Texas storage and all the rubber dried out…I learned my lesson there. Low mileage cars don’t mean sh!t if it hasn’t been taken care of and maintained. Luckily, Z prices still aren’t anywhere near the NSX or Supra prices. And even cheaper 7 years ago when I got it for less than $15k. The NSX engine bay doesnt look as intimidating as the Z. Thank goodness. Just watched most of the lap of the world videos, and managed to score a shop manual for my year. I’m glad the NSX has built in holes to secure the cams from spinning. That Z has been a nightmare to work on. I had to take off 3 hours worth of parts just to get to the timing covers. I do wish the NSX had the timing chains like the s2k. I remember swapping the chain tensioner to an aftermarket modified one and calling it a day. Lol.

NSX vs Z…some similarities but for the most part, cars feel very different. Steering feel is more numb on the Z as is the shifter. Both suspensions are very daily friendly stock. It does have the turbo torque kicking in but then vtec is more thrilling. The Z doesn’t have any traction control, it does get the rear end out easier although I haven’t dared with the NSX. I’ve read some scary stories on snap oversteer, so I won’t be testing the limits anytime soon. But the NSX definitely feels more connected to the road. It’s no contest there. Even with my 1995 hydraulic steering, I still feel so connected to the road and the machine. Z is great too but that was before I drove the NSX. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honcho,
Thanks for that. First, I want to say this forum is just a notch above the other forums I’ve been part of. Just the amount of info available is amazing as well as the knowledge of the platform by the members.

Thanks! Just wait until we finally complete the software upgrades. :D

Makes perfect sense with the timing belt. I do have to drive it one more time this week to get it inspected…I’ll take it easy. I have the timing belt parts on order and I’ll be doing that soon. I ran into the same issue with my Z which only had 29k but the previous owner hadn’t touched it. It was kept in a random Texas storage and all the rubber dried out…I learned my lesson there. Low mileage cars don’t mean sh!t if it hasn’t been taken care of and maintained. Luckily, Z prices still aren’t anywhere near the NSX or Supra prices. And even cheaper 7 years ago when I got it for less than $15k. The NSX engine bay doesnt look as intimidating as the Z. Thank goodness. Just watched most of the lap of the world videos, and managed to score a shop manual for my year. I’m glad the NSX has built in holes to secure the cams from spinning. That Z has been a nightmare to work on. I had to take off 3 hours worth of parts just to get to the timing covers. I do wish the NSX had the timing chains like the s2k. I remember swapping the chain tensioner to an aftermarket modified one and calling it a day. Lol.

NSX vs Z…some similarities but for the most part, cars feel very different. Steering feel is more numb on the Z as is the shifter. Both suspensions are very daily friendly stock. It does have the turbo torque kicking in but then vtec is more thrilling. The Z doesn’t have any traction control, it does get the rear end out easier although I haven’t dared with the NSX. I’ve read some scary stories on snap oversteer, so I won’t be testing the limits anytime soon. But the NSX definitely feels more connected to the road. It’s no contest there. Even with my 1995 hydraulic steering, I still feel so connected to the road and the machine. Z is great too but that was before I drove the NSX. Lol.

The NSX is fairly easy to work on versus other cars of the same vintage. We have the benefit of the full factory shop manuals to help guide us too. If you have a lift or a hoist, I highly recommend performing the TB/WP and engine refresh with the engine out. You can technically do it with the engine inside the car, but it is much, much more difficult and there is a lot more room for mistakes. You should read the engine refresh sections of my build thread. There is good info not present in the shop manuals. Also, PM me and I can send you my parts list.

Btw, I LUSTED after the 300ZX as a kid in the 90's. If Mrs. Honcho would let me, I'd get a pearl white with tan interior T-top. Twin turbo of course. :D What a great car.

Thanks again, Honcho. I can’t recall if I posted any info on my Z, but it is a pearl white with tan interior. Lol.

I do have a quickjack. I’m not sure if I can get the car high enough to drop the engine with that even though it’s the TL model. Honestly though, after working on the Z, this NSX doesn’t look as bad. I could easily pay a shop to do this but I really have trust issues…I also had a 91 3000gt vr4 before and it was another car with super tight space. Timing belt service seems very similar to the vr4 with the transverse layout etc. That also required top motor mount removal and had to do a lot of work through the front wheel well. It was almost as tight as the Z. Z still takes the cake with number of cuts I got on my hands. Lol.

I’ll PM you about the parts list to make sure I have everything. Thanks again!

Congrats from Pittsburgh from a former 1991 Z32 owner. The Z32 and NSX were my two dream cars as a 20-something, and I’m still living the dream with the NSX. Hope the memory of that first drive home lingers a good long time like it did for me.

Congrats from Pittsburgh from a former 1991 Z32 owner. The Z32 and NSX were my two dream cars as a 20-something, and I’m still living the dream with the NSX. Hope the memory of that first drive home lingers a good long time like it did for me.

Thanks! We have good taste. Haha.

On another note…do you guys think it’ll be a total creep move if I wrote a letter to the previous owner who has the original “titanium” key for my car? He posted on BAT when this car was on bid that he had found the key and I found his info in the maintenance folder. I guess I can just buy the key and copy it too. I tried to see if there’s a contact function on BAT but it doesn’t. Lol.

The monel key is worth a phone call..go for it..

He freakin threw out the key last month! Dang it. Well, at least I tried. Lol.
2f2782444d6b4f8fcf40263e617063f9.jpg

Last edited:
[MENTION=38271]NSXnZ[/MENTION] I have good news- you can still get a new Monel key cut at the Honda factory in Suzuka, Japan. They will also engrave your car's unique key code on the key just like the original- since they were the ones who made the original too. :D Only hard part is you need to get the code off your car- PM me and I can help.

Once you have the code, go here: https://www.mitamotorsports.com/nsx-accessories/f203496131 Marc can get you sorted.

[MENTION=38271]NSXnZ[/MENTION] I have good news- you can still get a new Monel key cut at the Honda factory in Suzuka, Japan. They will also engrave your car's unique key code on the key just like the original- since they were the ones who made the original too. :D Only hard part is you need to get the code off your car- PM me and I can help.

Once you have the code, go here: https://www.mitamotorsports.com/nsx-accessories/f203496131 Marc can get you sorted.

Honcho, thanks! This forum is just amazing. Now if I can figure out the PM thing. Lol.

Well, looks like since I’m a newb on prime, I can’t PM yet. If you could share that here openly or I’ll wait to get the PM privilege.

Last edited:
Does anyone own covercraft car covers for the NSX? It says custom fit. Since OEM is out of stock and people are asking crazy prices for a genuine one, this seems like a decent option. I also saw a decent looking one at MITA moporsports for $400.

Also, could any gurus help where I can get to a parts diagram or know the part number for this missing rubber piece over my strut?

7848a8ad220293729b86ab6212f2bef9.jpg

Does anyone own covercraft car covers for the NSX? It says custom fit. Since OEM is out of stock and people are asking crazy prices for a genuine one, this seems like a decent option. I also saw a decent looking one at MITA moporsports for $400.

Also, could any gurus help where I can get to a parts diagram or know the part number for this missing rubber piece over my strut?

Congrats on the car & hello from another PA owner (i'm in Pittsburgh)! The part you are looking for is 95550-30000 PLUG, BLIND (30MM)

Congrats on the car & hello from another PA owner (i'm in Pittsburgh)! The part you are looking for is 95550-30000 PLUG, BLIND (30MM)

Thanks! Appreciate the part number reference. I got close on the parts diagram but couldn’t quite figure out which one for sure.

Tim is really good. Remember this is probably a multi-year part so he may have ideas if it is not available. He should be able to help you nail down the part number. You could then look on eBay if he can not get it.

Also, if you have joined NSXCA, you can get free shipping if you order from Tim/Acura of Peoria (just mention your member # in the notes field when you order online, and Tim will credit the shipping cost)

Also, if you have joined NSXCA, you can get free shipping if you order from Tim/Acura of Peoria (just mention your member # in the notes field when you order online, and Tim will credit the shipping cost)

Just joined NSXCA. Thanks for the info! Xmas present arrived early. I found out the pride exhaust is basically the same but I couldn’t resist the RFY exhaust. It took about 6 weeks from order and updates from Mr Yamamoto himself. It looks like metal art.
610fe6d7c8b55c30a5e09b555289e6f9.jpg

!!!!! that IMO is the best sounding exhaust for the nsx. I sadly sold mines years ago. How is the shipping from Japan if you don't mind disclosing.

It was 45k yen and 12k yen for packing. I paid 315k yen total, roughly $3k shipped.

Back