• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just Installed my bilstein shocks

The job took about 3 hours with some help from my buddies. The thing is my car seems to sit higher with the newly installed Bilsteins on the lower perch with stock springs. I thought it was suppose to lower the car 7/8 of an inch.

My current setup is 17/18 and with the new shocks I have a 4 finger gap. I had a 3 finger gap before I installed the new shocks. Am I crazy or did I do something wrong?

Well, at least now you can go offroading!

Did I really, I removed the 3/4 metal ring and moved it down to the lower perch.

What should the average gap be with the Bilstein setup. Also for the top nut that holds the spring and shock together, how tight should I tighten it. I used an impact gun and did not tighten it all the way, should I tighten it all the way and will it compress the springs a bit more. Can I tighten this while it's already in place or do I have to remove the shocks & spring off the car to tighten it.

I'm going to take some pictures this weekend. Thank you for all the help.

Did you install the lower spring plate the wrong way? You should really post a picture. :wink:

Did I really, I removed the 3/4 metal ring and moved it down to the lower perch....

This is probably where the mistake was made. You probably inverted the metal ring and then put it on the shock. It is very easy to do and would result in what you are now seeing.

I made sure that I moved it down towards the lower body and away from the bolt up top. Does it take awhile for the shocks to settle in and lower the car or does it instantly lower the car at the moment of install.

Can it be that I need to tighten the top nut to the max, this nut I'm talking about is the one that holds the spring and shocks in place.

Thanks guys for helping me out.

The metal ring is on the correct perch but it is upside down.

Manh3,

Your rings are the wrong way:

Right:
bilstein_placement_right.jpg

Wrong:
bilstein_placement_wrong.jpg

The clip needs to be on the lower slot. But the big metal "perch" that the bottom of the spring actually sits on might be upside down. The perch is held up on the shock body by the clip.

Courtesy of DaliRacing
Wrong
shocks_bilstein_car_wrong.jpg

shocks_bilstein_placement_wrong.jpg

Right
shocks_bilstein_car_right.jpg

shocks_bilstein_placement_right.jpg

shocks_bilstein_placement_overlay.jpg

Thanks guys for all of your help.

We all try to help others not make the same mistake as some of us have already made in the past. Luckily it only cost you some time and sore hands, in my case the tech installed my springs incorrectly and he had to do the job over at no charge.

Let us know how they come out the second time around. :smile:

Another but smaller source of mistakes (in terms of lowering) is the top spring plate with the rubber in it. Make sure the rubber holes on the back of them flushed within the top spring plate by turning them until they flush. If it doesn't -> +0.25 inch

You guys are awesome, please call me when you guys come down to San Diego. I owe you guys, give me a call and we'll grab something to eat and drink.

PM me for my number.

I'm going to do the corrections today and I'll tell you guys about the reinstall.

Here's a rear.......

Rear_shock.jpg

I got the shocks correctly installed and no longer rocking the monster truck look. The ride is awesome and the car is lowered just right.

Thanks guys.

I got the shocks correctly installed and no longer rocking the monster truck look. The ride is awesome and the car is lowered just right.

Thanks guys.

So no mud bogging for you in the NSX. Don't let us down man!!!

Anyway, good to hear that you got it sorted out correctly. It's an easy and stupid mistake to make.

Thanks guys.

Good deal. Hook us up with some pics if you have any.
I'm considering doing the same thing. I'm curious what the fender gap looks like up close.

Jond,

I don't know how to post pictures on the forums but I'll take some pictures with my phone and can e-mail to you. PM me your e-mail.

Back