• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just signed on and this is my first post here

Hi everybody. Boy does it feel good to be around people who understand my obsession with the NSX and don't give me funny looks.

I just wanted to ask all you NSX aficionados out there to help me make a difficult decision. Here goes...New or used?

I'm only a college student, ready to hit the work force in a couple of months, and right now, in my financial situation, I can only DREAM about owning an NSX while puttering around in my 1990 Civic. (say a prayer for me, please) Its been my dream for the past few years (ever since I laid eyes on one) to own and drive one, but I wasn't sure whether I should save a bit and buy a used one, or save a LOT and buy a fresh, new one?

Both sides have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure all of you take excellent care of your babies, and the NSXs out there are probably the most reliable used cars you can think of. But there MUST be something about buying one fresh on the odometer and raising it like a child.

It'll be a few years of saving before I can even PLAN on buying a used one, and it will be a LOT more years of saving to even consider buying a new one, but I still can't make a decision. Should I get one as soon as I can? Or wait until I can be the first owner of an NSX? Until either one happens, I'll keep playing with my toy NSX and flipping through the brochure from Acura. I would welcome all of your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

NSXFury

p.s. - did any of you see that recent Honda TV commercial with Alex Zanardi?

[This message has been edited by NSXFury (edited 19 August 2001).]

Hi there...
biggrin.gif
newbie.gif
biggrin.gif

You might want to take a look at the three-page topic that starts here. It has a lot of good advice and things to consider.

Well, I just bought used. Didn't really have the money either. Financed it to high heaven. Good credit. I got a '94. I love it. I wanted a '97 but the '94 is just fine.

As for waiting, the next generation NSX is going to be out in a couple years and it will surely be a screamer. It might dampen your enthusiasm for a used NSX.

So with that in mind, you better run out and get one NOW!!! I'm being totally irresponsible in recommending that, but the cars are just so wonderful, I have no self control.

But if you wait, the prices will come down. I wouldn't worry, if you love the NSX that much, by the time you can afford a good used one, you'll probably buy.

I have no intention of this being my first and only NSX. I'm sure most people think that way. While most are probably cared for more than just about anything else, everyone is always looking to step up. So buy used and buy another later when you've really got money. Buy one from one of the Forum members. Surely they take care of theirs. The trouble is, will they part with it?

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black
No mods yet. HID on order. Needs wheels!
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

I think a used one is a great way to go, I have purchased two that way. Back in '93 I bought a slightly used one with 10K miles. Last year I purchased a '00 with 3K miles, if you let someone else take the initial depreciation loss and pay the luxury tax you make out a lot better than buying a brand new one. IMHO

The good news is you can't go wrong with any of your options, the car is truly as wonderful as everyone says it is.

Good Luck!

Ha! This is the guy that introduced me to this site, and only now does he make his first post...

Glad to have you here NSXFury! And, I'll give you a ride in my NSX when I come out next...
smile.gif

Originally posted by bartonkt:
Ha! This is the guy that introduced me to this site, and only now does he make his first post...

Glad to have you here NSXFury! And, I'll give you a ride in my NSX when I come out next...
smile.gif

Ride? You better know what's healthy for you and let me DRIVE the baby! Ever since you met me I've been a nut about this car. Heck, I'm probably even the guy that got you thinking about NSXs! When you find out how fun that car is, you'd better thank me by letting me behind the wheel. I'm not going to settle for just a "ride" =)

NSXFury

[This message has been edited by NSXFury (edited 20 August 2001).]

Thanks, that's a great point! I totally forgot about the luxury tax for a vehicle of this class. Used is starting to sound pretty damn good, however all the hype and speculation about the next gen NSX has got me curious!

NSXFury

Originally posted by Carguy!:
I think a used one is a great way to go, I have purchased two that way. Back in '93 I bought a slightly used one with 10K miles. Last year I purchased a '00 with 3K miles, if you let someone else take the initial depreciation loss and pay the luxury tax you make out a lot better than buying a brand new one. IMHO

The good news is you can't go wrong with any of your options, the car is truly as wonderful as everyone says it is.

Good Luck!

NSXFury,

Welcome aboard!! Good luck on your decision between new and used. I got my '95 used, ....err...pre-owned, and that was because at the time there was no way I could afford to purchase a new one.

And I've enjoyed the purchase each and every day since.
smile.gif

BTW, nice username you have there.
biggrin.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 20 August 2001).]

If you only knew how to drive stick, I might consider it...better start practicing.
smile.gif

The increased powerplant for the next-gen NSX should be killer, looking really forward to that announcment. Will be interesting to see if you can swap out the older engine and put in the new one - that'd be cool as well.

sorry to get off topic here, but hey nsxtasy, that's some pretty cool smiley faces! Is that what you do in your spare time, or is that feature already coded into the system?

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

hey nsxtasy

wavey.gif

Is that what you do in your spare time, or is that feature already coded into the system?

Nah, I just linked to a smilie on another board.

before you move to a NSX, sell the Civic and get the last model Integra GSR. Then after working for a few years, get a used 97 NSX. The used car price then, in 2003 will be more affordable. I would not suggest a NSX now as you need to know other priorities in life, such as graduate school, marriage etc.
NSX is a great car but a logical move from a GSR.The next generation NSX will not be cheaper but more powerful as the V6 is not running against Porsches/Ferraris etc. We will see it in November at the Tokyo show what likely be an interim model. there will be a NSX feista with at least 350 units there from Japan.
NSX, even the early 91 model is still the best choice for me. Fun and affordable.

Heh, thanks! Cool name back at ya! I've been using this name ever since I played online games about 4 years back. Been using it ever since =)

Actually, another question to you all: Do most of you reserve your NSX for weekend driving and use another car (Integra or Prelude) for boring things like going to work? Ever since I got a couple of speeding tickets, I don't speed anymore, and in a car like the NSX, I think the temptation to just open it up on a highway would overpower me. I think I'd have to take mine to the track or good old "To Serve and Protect" would be all over me. =)

NSXFury

Originally posted by FuryNSX:
NSXFury,

Welcome aboard!! Good luck on your decision between new and used. I got my '95 used, ....err...pre-owned, and that was because at the time there was no way I could afford to purchase a new one.

And I've enjoyed the purchase each and every day since.
smile.gif

BTW, nice username you have there.
biggrin.gif

Hey Richard, check out this smiley:

There are some others out there that are far worse, and would be, shall we say, incompatible with the sense of decorum here.
wink.gif

Do most of you reserve your NSX for weekend driving and use another car (Integra or Prelude) for boring things like going to work?

I reserve my NSX for track events and NSX Club events, and use another car (Integra Type R) for boring things like going to work and not so boring things like weekend driving and track events.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 August 2001).]

Plenty of folks use it as their daily driver, and I think you'd be fine out in Boulder with the lack of traffic. However, I'd recommend getting a radar detector. Hell, you *know* how fast I cruised around Boulder in my turbo Eclipse - and I have no tickets
smile.gif

Though, I plan on getting the NSX next month, and then in a years time or so picking up a used prelude/accord/civic 4-door to use when I need to haul more than 2 people around. Though, we'll see how frustrated I get driving the NSX around in LA traffic...

I can only DREAM about owning an NSX while puttering around in my 1990 Civic. (say a prayer for me, please) Its been my dream for the past few years

This sounds familiar. My dream started back when the NSX was first announced and I was puttering around in my aging '88 Celica until the day finally came that I could make my dream a reality.

I also questioned whether I should buy used or new. The only thing I knew for certain is that I had to have the Targa and had to have the 6 speed manual / 290hp 3.2L engine...meaning I would not consider anything before 1997. I also knew that I did not like any of the Photoshopped pics I had been seeing of the next-gen NSX, so waiting was not an option. If anything, those shots accelerated my purchase plans as I had fallen in love with the current generation NSX.

At the time, the price diff between used '97s and what I could get a new '00 NSX-T wasn't large enough to sway me from buying new. And something seemed so right about making the NSX, my dream car, the first car I ever bought new!

I potentially could have bought my coworker's '97 NSX-T, but I'm glad I didn't wait. He decided to keep his NSX-T after getting his 360...and didn't purchase his 360 until a year after I bought my '00 NSX-T.

By the way, consider keeping your Civic. I regretted selling my Celica (though it had been costing me an arm and a leg to keep it running). It's just nice to have a car that you don't worry about taking to certain parts of town (in my case, the parking structure where I work). The contrast of going back and forth between driving the Civic and the NSX is quite amusing. You should see how paranoid I have become in freeway traffic when I'm in my Civic...I wasn't that way BEFORE owning the NSX.
tongue.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 20 August 2001).]

Originally posted by NSXFury:
Actually, another question to you all: Do most of you reserve your NSX for weekend driving and use another car (Integra or Prelude) for boring things like going to work?

I reserve my car for every time i need to go farther then 10 ft from my home.
biggrin.gif
. Kevin, hows your situation looking? You should tell everyone here about the GT3 Gamespy setup...
biggrin.gif

------------------
-------
95 T bl/bl @ 39K
DC Headers
RM DTM Exhaust
CT Strut Tower Bar

Ok, so I used to work for a company called Gamespy, and they are very passionate computer gamers. With the release of GT3 for the Sony PS2, everyone in the office wanted to play.

Now, normally we only have one TV with one PS2 and a bunch of games in the breakout room area. However, as the split screen for GT3 sucks, we decided the situation needed to be slightly modified to counteract the office's growing addiction with GT3.

So, we now have FIVE PS2's networked together w/ iLink, with 4 27" TVs, and one 48" PLASMA screen (this baby costed us like $25k new, though its about 2 years old now). So, we can have up to 5 players going at it @ once. Oh, the configuration is 2 27", then the 48" in the middle, and another 2 27" screens on the other side. We also have a kareoke setup there w/ a Mic, and the reverb turned on - so we can say 'Ladies and Gentlemen.....Start your engines!'.

We even came up with a game of 'Tag'. Four cars start out going forwards, one going backwords - its the one that is it. It has to hit oncomming cars, thus turning them into 'it' cars and going backwards as well. As the race goes on, you inevitably have 4/5 cars going backwords setting up roadblocks to take out the last driver. The first one to actually complete the race of say five laps, is the winner.

As far as my situation, I'm negotiating to pickup a '93 w/ 50k miles on it (black/black).

[This message has been edited by bartonkt (edited 20 August 2001).]

I would, except its out in Colorado...so, if you want to fly out with me and drive back across the desert (like 14 hours or so), you're more than welcome to come
smile.gif

Colorado? Buy local! You know, I wonder whether it is safer to buy cars that have spent there lives in a known climate. I guess what I'm saying is Colorado is very cold and hostile, I wonder what kind of stress thats put on this vehicle during its life. How did you come across it anyhow?

However, as the split screen for GT3 sucks

Actually, I'm quite impressed with split screen (never drops frame rate)...it's just nowhere near as cool as full screen iLink glory.

So, we now have FIVE PS2's networked together w/ iLink, with 4 27" TVs, and one 48" PLASMA screen

This sounds familiar. We have four PS2 TEST stations iLinked together (on a 6 port hub...just need to move around two more stations/TVs and we'll have a complete field) all on matching 27" Sony WEGA TVs. We also have a Sony 42" plasma display panel (HDTV compatible) hooked to a Sony home theater sound system, but not in the same room (I've been playing through the sim mode on the PDP during my lunch hours...awesome).

We currently have only one GT Force wheel in the setup. I had originally planned on buying one so we'd have two, but they've been sold out everywhere. I'm now debating getting the wheel at all since I've played through almost 40% of the sim mode without it.

Only two problems with our setup. One...we're working too hard right now to have inter-office competitions. Two...even though at least a dozen of my coworkers own GT3, only two of us actually bring ours to the office every day. We have yet to play a game with more than two players! DOH!

We even came up with a game of 'Tag'

And when we better GT players race, we make a serious effort to not hit walls or each other.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

I see how it is Eric...you guys at Naughty dog think you're soooo good. B.S., Gamespy 0wnz j00 (or something to that effect).

Tag is actually a way fun game, I'd say give it a try when you get more than 2 CD's in the house.

As far as stress on the car, its in the garage from Oct - May, avoiding the harsh conditions in CO. Car is in amazingly great shape, like most NSX's...so close
smile.gif

Colorado? Buy local! You know, I wonder whether it is safer to buy cars that have spent there lives in a known climate. I guess what I'm saying is Colorado is very cold and hostile, I wonder what kind of stress thats put on this vehicle during its life.

I would say that in general, based on the hundreds of NSX's I've seen, the cars in Denver and Chicago and similar areas are on average in better shape than those in the Sunbelt. The worst-looking NSX's I've seen have been in the Sunbelt, where the finish looked like it had suffered from too much sun (fading, etc). A possible explanation for this is that owners in northern climates are less likely to drive them in winter, thus more likely to have another car, more likely to use it as a daily driver, and thus less likely to drive their cars in bad weather at ANY time of year.

Obviously you can have a well-kept or a poorly-kept car anywhere. Take a good look at the car, not its location.

Back