• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just wanted to post a new option for ecu upgrade VR Tuned NSX

Whats the update? Very interested! šŸ˜€

Sorry its going on today or tomorrow- I had to have the shop do something on another car of mine first which took precedent. And I might not be able to pick it up till next week due to other plans. I know I know this is not good but tis the season.

Ok so I finally picked up the car yesterday (yes between my travels and the shop closing it took that long to get it):

Some initial thoughts:

1. boost comes on harder thru the usable rpm ranges- you can definitely feel the increase in tq down low and even past 120 with hp (since the electrics shut down). I had my 230 lb brother in the car and damn I found 137 mph came very quickly.

2. My SOTP tests to 60 from a dig, to 100, to 120 and past 130 all clearly feel the car is faster.

The car benefits the most at the percentage gains in hp and tq over the stock via the usable rpm curves (2500ish to 5500 or so). Looking at the dyno again and my experience pretty much mirrors the gains as the usable ranges are where the car has the improvements. Its only been about 40 miles thus far so ill chime back in a bit but so far so good. I have tuned my last 30 plus cars with varying gains based on the engine composition, type of tune, and aggressiveness of the tune itself. This one is one of the more measurable from "feel" IMHO. Is it as good as a Turbo S with Cobb, no- but its better than gains on my E63S (2018) in regards to before and after or my piggy back on the M5 (2018).

More to come.

Thank you, Vic! This is extremely positive feedback. Knowing how well the M5 and E63s respond to piggyback tunes, the NSX gains must be very good with the VR. The biggest measure of gains will be how well the car does against a stock one on the street/track, or even by VBox measurements. FYI...SoS is planning to do comparisons (dyno, VBox, engine datalogging, etc) between the VR Tune, Hydra Motorworks tune, and stock. Will be interesting to see the results of that as well.

Ok so I finally picked up the car yesterday (yes between my travels and the shop closing it took that long to get it):

Some initial thoughts:

1. boost comes on harder thru the usable rpm ranges- you can definitely feel the increase in tq down low and even past 120 with hp (since the electrics shut down). I had my 230 lb brother in the car and damn I found 137 mph came very quickly.

2. My SOTP tests to 60 from a dig, to 100, to 120 and past 130 all clearly feel the car is faster.

The car benefits the most at the percentage gains in hp and tq over the stock via the usable rpm curves (2500ish to 5500 or so). Looking at the dyno again and my experience pretty much mirrors the gains as the usable ranges are where the car has the improvements. Its only been about 40 miles thus far so ill chime back in a bit but so far so good. I have tuned my last 30 plus cars with varying gains based on the engine composition, type of tune, and aggressiveness of the tune itself. This one is one of the more measurable from "feel" IMHO. Is it as good as a Turbo S with Cobb, no- but its better than gains on my E63S (2018) in regards to before and after or my piggy back on the M5 (2018).

More to come.

Did you see the test results from SOS posted today?

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/blog/scienceofspeed-tests-vr-tune-box/

Looks as though the VR Tuned box needs some more research before it's ready for prime time. They have definitely figured out how to get more horses out in the mid-range, but they lose nearly a 100 hp in the top end which is obviously a problem.
Looking forward to seeing version 2.0.

Did you see the test results from SOS posted today?

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/blog/scienceofspeed-tests-vr-tune-box/

Looks as though the VR Tuned box needs some more research before it's ready for prime time. They have definitely figured out how to get more horses out in the mid-range, but they lose nearly a 100 hp in the top end which is obviously a problem.
Looking forward to seeing version 2.0.

Yeah their results are via level 2- Im running 6 and using Drive mode with Sport + .... I have not felt the hp drop off as my shifts are occuring pre peak rpms in auto mode (and the fact that Im not running the aggressive modes). I did feel the tq boost spike bump at around 4k so:

Vivid even shipped me a new box where there are no boost spikes (I installed on MOnday) and the car drives so smoothly thru the rpm ranges. They further cut some of the boost post the higher rpm to avoid the ECU tq limits so there are gains but no drop off. Its a great mod (I paid for it with no affiliation).

Yeah their results are via level 2- Im running 6 and using Drive mode with Sport + .... I have not felt the hp drop off as my shifts are occuring pre peak rpms in auto mode (and the fact that Im not running the aggressive modes). I did feel the tq boost spike bump at around 4k so:

Vivid even shipped me a new box where there are no boost spikes (I installed on MOnday) and the car drives so smoothly thru the rpm ranges. They further cut some of the boost post the higher rpm to avoid the ECU tq limits so there are gains but no drop off. Its a great mod (I paid for it with no affiliation).

what tires do you have on? i'd say the big issue also is about their TC and if its even able to manage that much more power.

what tires do you have on? i'd say the big issue also is about their TC and if its even able to manage that much more power.

OEM--- its ok, I get just a bit of wheelspin when they are cold but the AWD system kicks in- even in Track mode. Once warmed up, zero issues on the street.

Hi Vic

Any update on your experience with the tune after some more seat time? Very interested.

Thank you.

OEM--- its ok, I get just a bit of wheelspin when they are cold but the AWD system kicks in- even in Track mode. Once warmed up, zero issues on the street.

Hi Vic

Any update on your experience with the tune after some more seat time? Very interested.

Thank you.

So far so great... I had the new box installed (as stated below) and its been very fluid and I can definitely tell the gains. I even have switched the maps to 9 (basically a flat gain) and driven over the same road and passages to gauge the lift. Sorry but nothing empirical; there are gains no doubt and keys are at launch and also at speeds over 120 where normally there is a bit of drag. The main place I feel the gains are in the higher 3k rpms up to about 6k thru the usable rpm ranges. Its not going to be the fastest car on the road but it just got a bit better.

I installed the tune myself, been running it around on default which I think is 4. The mid-range feels as if there is MUCH more torque. OEM there really wasn't much wheelspin, now if the tires are cold its going sideways, warm its much better but it wiggles a lot more than it used to. I want to hit a dyno soon to see the difference in numbers. The car is way more fun to drive but now i need to be more conscious when i floor it.

I installed the tune myself, been running it around on default which I think is 4. The mid-range feels as if there is MUCH more torque. OEM there really wasn't much wheelspin, now if the tires are cold its going sideways, warm its much better but it wiggles a lot more than it used to. I want to hit a dyno soon to see the difference in numbers. The car is way more fun to drive but now i need to be more conscious when i floor it.

Im running map 5... just a bit less tq and that does help with wheel spin. But its still there when the tires are very cold.

Someone in FL (Claude) also has this VR tune box along with a couple of other mods (exhaust, water/meth) and is trapping 130+ mph in the 1/4 mile. Those are quite significant gains.

All this talk and not one person has taken an NSX to the drag strip and tested it back to back stock vs VR tuned on the same night? I would have done that in a second when I lived in Palm Beach.

I'm surprised VR hasn't posted any real world 1/4 miles time slips or videos from owners with this software. This is your business and you don't take the time to get an NSX to the drag strip with your tune and post up a video? Come on guys.

All this talk and not one person has taken an NSX to the drag strip and tested it back to back stock vs VR tuned on the same night? I would have done that in a second when I lived in Palm Beach.

I'm surprised VR hasn't posted any real world 1/4 miles time slips or videos from owners with this software. This is your business and you don't take the time to get an NSX to the drag strip with your tune and post up a video? Come on guys.

I agree, and I think a trap speed is even more telling than ET. Iā€™m not a drag guy at all, but trap speeds generally donā€™t lie and are the first metric I look at for ā€œfunā€ cars, with 60-130 being a close second.

Back