• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kids' Day 2016 at Watkins Glen - Photos

Well...........we did it!!!!!!

On very short notice we managed to pull off an amazing and successful Kids' Day event at Watkins Glen on July 6 & 7 with Camp Good Days. This is something I have done for 12 years but in the recent past the lack of interest by the prior sponsoring track group combined with legal difficulties involving liability and insurance caused the event to be canceled. Each year the children from Camp Good Days, a residential camp for children afflicted with and/or affected by cancer, were treated to rides around Watkins Glen followed by a bbq lunch at the track. It was a great day for all and the NSX Club of America Northeast Region members just refused to believe this event would never take place again.

So.............

With only a few weeks to plan it, Larry B and I started the process of a new partnership with Chin Motorsports (owned by past NSXCA President Wei-Shen Chin) and its General Manager Mark Hicks and arranged to host the children during a Chin event at the Glen. The legalities were formalized quickly, the insurance was approved, the track donated their usual lunch hour for use by us with the kids and the track even donated the lunch at the Glen Club!

We had previously been the only car club permitted to drive the kids but we were permitted to invite the Chin drivers to join us and we were not sure what to expect in terms of their interest. We were thrilled to see approximately 70% of their drivers volunteer to pilot the kids and counselors!

On July 6 we were invited to the camp to do a car show and have dinner with the kids but my travel plans prevented me from being there that day so I will let others post pics from that part of the event. Despite my flight being delayed, I managed to land back in NYC by 2:00 am on July 7, drive home to get my NSX, grab a quick 90 minute nap and then head up for the 540 mile round trip day.

But, as always, it was worth it!

Thanks to all involved and especially Chin Motorsports, Watkins Glen International and Konica Minolta for their generous support of the NSXCA and Camp Good Days!

i-CXL4GjB-XL.jpg

i-hcTfKCc-XL.jpg

i-xDVdwS5-XL.jpg

i-V7C94L8-XL.jpg

i-QQD3vCP-XL.jpg

i-rQhJ2pF-XL.jpg

i-2gHkTGN-XL.jpg

i-tDJz69h-XL.jpg

i-4Zpkrdc-XL.jpg

i-9vJchfK-XL.jpg

i-w7p7zDm-XL.jpg

i-twqVrwp-XL.jpg

i-RGCHFg9-XL.jpg

i-7dfzNSC-L.jpg

Last edited:
awesome event....and wow the donation keeps growing!

Terrific event. Wish I could have made it. Nice 26k check. A lotta happy kids.

4 years ago I gave Katie a ride in my NSX during Kids' day. She was a camper and was undergoing treatment but always had a big smile when around us.

i-WjZHzgG-XL.jpg

I met her again yesterday and learned that after a setback she is now in remission! We recognized each other from four years ago and she came over and hugged me and let us know about her progress. I am glad I had very dark sunglasses on since the waterworks started immediately upon getting that hug and hearing she is in remission...........

i-NS2HNTK-XL.jpg

Where's the damn "like" button?

Awesome event, great people. Kudos to whomever got that donation / sponsorship to happen.

BTW, did anybody catch a pic of my car on the track (rio yellow w black R wing)? First time ever on a track so would be cool to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. Allen, Bob, did you get a picture of me on the track? Would love a copy.

frankie

Awesome event, great people. Kudos to whomever got that donation / sponsorship to happen.

BTW, did anybody catch a pic of my car on the track (rio yellow w black R wing)? First time ever on a track so would be cool to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Pictures of anyone on the track

Me too. Allen, Bob, did you get a picture of me on the track? Would love a copy.

frankie

Sorry guys we were also driving campers around the track so no action shots of cars on the track.
Check out my gallery from the camp and track https://aoffsie.smugmug.com/Kids-Day-Watkins-Glen-2016/

Bob has my pics and will be putting together a presentation piece for the camp

Alan

Montage of pics. THANK YOU Alan Offsie (Climberao) for contributing your pics!!!!!

<iframe id="vp1DChXw" title="Video Player" width="864" height="486" frameborder="0" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/embed.animoto.com/play.html?w=swf/production/vp1&e=1468178273&f=DChXwEvFLViE7C408H2X9g&d=0&m=p&r=360p+720p&volume=100&start_res=720p&i=m&asset_domain=s3-p.animoto.com&animoto_domain=animoto.com&options=" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
classic................:biggrin:

Back