• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kindle vs. Android Tablet vs. iPad ?

cool, congrats! (and good luck w/the decision on book :)

this morning as she was heading to work she asked if i might pick up a cover for the kindle, so i headed out this afternoon and got the amazon cover w/integrated light. i figure next she'll want a ctsc so i'll have to start working on that soon ....

What do you mean you "got the amazon cover w/integrated light"? I see them online but did you actually find a store that sells them?

What do you mean you "got the amazon cover w/integrated light"? I see them online but did you actually find a store that sells them?
yep, i found them (and other brands) @ a local best buy - you might call your local best buy and see if they have them in stock. i like that the light is powered via the kindle ... when you slip the kindle in place, the electrical connectors that are part of the cover plug into the kindle ... it's very cool. (of course, using the cover increases the weight of the device.)

yep, i found them (and other brands) @ a local best buy - you might call your local best buy and see if they have them in stock. i like that the light is powered via the kindle ... when you slip the kindle in place, the electrical connectors that are part of the cover plug into the kindle ... it's very cool. (of course, using the cover increases the weight of the device.)

Thank you. I went to Best Buy and a guy took one out of the box for me to try on my Kindle. I ended up ordering it online from Amazon since I had the free $25 Amazon gift card and because I wanted a red one, and Best only had black.

Thank you. I went to Best Buy and a guy took one out of the box for me to try on my Kindle. I ended up ordering it online from Amazon since I had the free $25 Amazon gift card and because I wanted a red one, and Best only had black.
yes - you look best in red! :biggrin:

After reading the thread i bought the other half a wifi kindle. Ordered through amazon and it was at the house in 2 days. Pretty neat so far. Now she can stop leaving books all over the house!!:smile:

Wow! There's a reason to buy a computer. GeekDrool-worthiness!

geekdrool was meant to be a joke... and I didnt use a keyboard to write this from my slate, agree that touch in win7 needs some finer tuning
mentioned this asus model only as an option... my daily laptop runs 2k8 server with win 7 and mac osx in vms... 17" quad core i7 w/ 16Gb and dual 256 ssd... i do server and product demos nearly everyday

geekdrool was meant to be a joke... and I didnt use a keyboard to write this from my slate, agree that touch in win7 needs some finer tuning
mentioned this asus model only as an option... my daily laptop runs 2k8 server with win 7 and mac osx in vms... 17" quad core i7 w/ 16Gb and dual 256 ssd... i do server and product demos nearly everyday

Sure, I got that it was a joke. My "there's-a-reason" reply was joking too.

Actually, our primary laptops are surprisingly similar.

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/167413/year-flash-still-not-ipad-and-thats-still-good-decision

Interesting take on Flash as implemented on Android tablets.

The bottom line is, if you're thinking of buying an Android tablet instead of an iPad because you want something to play Facebook (or other Flash) games on, stop right there. At the very least get into a store and try to run the games you play. As I said, I was only able to test on this one tablet and of course I didn't test every Flash game out there! Maybe your favorite will work, but research it first.

In my opinion, having Flash available on my Android tablet adds very little to the value of the device (and don't get the wrong idea: overall I'm quite pleased with the Acer Iconia A500). If you disagree; if Flash is what makes your Android tablet really useful to you, then please leave a comment and explain why. It's entirely possible I'm missing a Flash-based 'killer app' for Android tablets and frankly I'd love to be proven wrong.

Windows 7 is still really not touch ready. There are alot of things that require a mouse, and is really clumsy with hands / fingers.

I love my iPad 2 and my Android tablets.

I agree. I think if they make a version of win8 for tablets though it will put a big dent in tablet sales. I know I would want one. BUT it has to have good battery life. 8-10 hours.

One more reason to consider the iPad... Listen to what you can do with GarageBand for iPad. Pretty darn cool.

http://youtu.be/E_KYUF6pxR8

-Jim

i've now read a few books on the kindle and have to say that it's *very* cool for text / non-color documents. we've got the smaller kindle and i really, REALLY like the form factor / size / weight - it's very lightweight and even fits in my cargo pants pocket; for reading / lazing through color content, i still use the ipad.

my wife wants me to get one of my own and leave her kindle alone, but i think i'll wait until the next gen kindle is released before buying (as i am a second ipad).

I've been using my kindle at the gym and on an airplane. I like it fine but it took me a while to learn that the > on the lower left side wasn't to turn the page back, like you would in a book. I had to learn to use the little < up closer to the top on both sides. I think that's a design flaw. Should have been < on the left side to turn back a page and > on the right side to go forward a page, not < on the top and > below. I like my red cover with the light built in. I keep it in the case all the time so I don't drop it (like I always do with my cellphone) and break it.

In my search for a tablet I came across the Toshiba thrive. VERY nice, it also has full usb, Hdmi and mini usb. Now I can't decide between a new MBair, asus slate, or Toshiba thrive.
It also has a removeable battery.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Back