• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kip and Shad aka Driving Ambition SCCA Run-offs October 2018

Kip Olson and Shad Huntley are back at it again for this year's SCCA Run-offs. The race, which is exactly one month from now, will be right here in our West Coast lap at Sonoma Raceway. The wily pair have kept a low profile worthy of a Bob Mueller investigation to avoid tipping off the SCCA rules makers about some mega improvements to the "old 49." Kip's already set the track record, without pushing the limits. He'll be waiting for Shad to say "hammer time." Pretty sure that revenge is the unspoken thought on their minds; revenge for not making the top step of the podium at the 2016 Mid Ohio Run-offs. Being 3rd loser was tough.

I'll be at the track so I just may be posting current updates thru the practice, Q and race sessions. And to make heads and tails from my cryptic Hunter Thompson style reporting, you can following live timing on the Race Hero app (or is it Race Monitor?......I'll find out).

anyway, here's what the old girl looks like in new wider body work. Don't even look at the rubber...........she's gonna have grip with a capital G. :tongue:

NSX.jpeg

Kip Olson and Shad Huntley are back at it again for this year's SCCA Run-offs. The race, which is exactly one month from now, will be right here in our West Coast lap at Sonoma Raceway. The wily pair have kept a low profile worthy of a Bob Mueller investigation to avoid tipping off the SCCA rules makers about some mega improvements to the "old 49." Kip's already set the track record, without pushing the limits. He'll be waiting for Shad to say "hammer time." Pretty sure that revenge is the unspoken thought on their minds; revenge for not making the top step of the podium at the 2016 Mid Ohio Run-offs. Being 3rd loser was tough.

I'll be at the track so I just may be posting current updates thru the practice, Q and race sessions. And to make heads and tails from my cryptic Hunter Thompson style reporting, you can following live timing on the Race Hero app (or is it Race Monitor?......I'll find out).

anyway, here's what the old girl looks like in new wider body work. Don't even look at the rubber...........she's gonna have grip with a capital G. :tongue:

Cool. Best wishes to the team.

Sonoma Raceway - You'll be right in PSi's backyard. I've heard Kip likes the new Ohlins TTX they set up for him.

Love the dedication to our old platform! Shad and Kip.....together forever...:biggrin:

Mac, this year should be the year. Right here on the home track and 90 minutes from the shop and only one session per day. They will be ready. :wink:

and yeah, PSi is the place for shocks. Right at the track and in the same little shop for years. Great guys. :cool:

Lol I was gonna call them the odd couple....just couldn't figure out which one was felix....:eek:

Wonder if sweet pea will be at Thunder Hill on the 26 & 27th?

I seriously doubt it. Too focused on the Run-offs and don't want to risk some stupid on-track incident. (One of which just happened to my buddy and local track record holder in the Formula Mazda Q session today at Sonoma).

Kip will admit he has turned into a workaholic (even more than before) and doesn't feel the need for more seat time, especially on a different track than Sonoma. And he's right; he's almost super human for how he can get in a car (any car) after not being on track for months and throw down a seriously respectable lap. Talent you just can't buy.

but Donny boy, I'll see your skinny ass at the track. LOL

Keep us all posted on how The Kip and Shad show goes! Kick some ass guys.

Run-offs next week.

Kip and Shad will be center stage for Qualifying next Thursday (3 pm, +/-) and the race on Saturday 2:35 pm (west coast time) .

Now I know what you're thinking.........Q is actually 3 days, Tues-Thurs. But Shad said they were just going to show up Thursday, presumably throw down one hot lap, take pole and park it. Kind of optimistic, but with only 18 cars in the field, I sense that they think they can start DFL and still win.

For those who are not real familiar with Shad and Driving Ambition prior to being your Comptech NSX go fast guru, read his profile. He raced and won in karts against guys like Scott Pruett and the late great Greg Moore. And later was CART Chief Mechanic of the Year for Dario Franchitti in the 1997 Kool Car. http://www.drivingambitionmotorsports.com/aboutus.asp

As for Kip, if you don't know his 15 year history in the NSX, well, I don't know what to tell you. His early history is mostly anecdotal. But we'll fill you in as shit happens next week and the old stories come to mind to help explain it all. Well now that I look more closely at the pic, this was the World Challenge race at Laguna back in 2010? or so. As rookies Kip, started 7th, between the seriously well funded Audi's (or were they Cadillacs then?) of Andy Pilgram and Randy Pobst. Shit, I still have video from that event.........I think.

anyway, check back here for updates.

Attachments

• modp_1003_32_o+super_lap_battle_finals+driving_ambition_acura_nsx.jpg
    modp_1003_32_o+super_lap_battle_finals+driving_ambition_acura_nsx.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 439
If you were at Thunderhill for NSXPO 2 weeks ago, you got a glimpse of what Kip and the fastest NSX in SCCA racing can do. The SCCA Run-offs at Sonoma are next week and here's a glimpse of why Shad and Kip should be competitive <understated sarcasm >. Yeah, lots of traffic and stuff in this Sonoma open test day almost a year ago, but 1:45-ish laptimes are getting right down there for anything with fenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYZ1stXZyIU

Attachments

• Capture44.JPG
    Capture44.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 403
Driving Ambition is comfortably UTR.

As hinted at before, Kip and Shad have the horsepower, new bigger grip, and maybe some other tricks to win Touring 1. Never mind Sonoma being their "home track" relative to most other T-1 racers from around the country. But as Kip told me yesterday, "we're gonna stay UTR even though it's too late for SCCA to heap a bunch of weight on the car, which is already 3140#.

Racer Magazine did not mention Driving Ambition or another podium challenger, Charlie Hays. Charlie has a 400 HP turbo Miata, weighing in at around 2200#. And unlike some well funded but talent-short racers, Charlie knows how to drive, having won the 25 Hrs. of Thunderhill last year with Flying Lizard. Racer also missed mention of Mark Hoover, T-1 Regional champ.

Racer talks about 2016 at Mid-Ohio and how the favorite this year woulda walked away from it all then if not for a blown motor. If you recall Kip finished fourth in that race battling some serious issues with........what was it, gearing? I forget. Whatever it was, he was down at least 10 mph on the straight compared to the competition and shoulda ended up DFL and lapped with that kind of handicap. Suffice it to say, Shad has it dialed in at Sonoma.

Racer said this:

https://racer.com/2018/10/09/sportscar-magazine-predicts-the-scca-runoffs-touring-gt/

"Touring 1
Dare we say Touring 1 has become predictable? Aside from a blown engine removing any possibility of Andrew Aquilante winning in 2016, it’s been a long time since anyone else has challenged him for the win – and we expect his domination to continue at Sonoma Raceway. Arguably the biggest roadblock for Aquilante is a car change from his proven Mustang (which is being converted to GT-2 trim) to a Corvette.

That said, “The Corvette in general will be pretty strong at Sonoma,” he says. “That’s what we’re looking at, and we’ll go from there.”

Mark Boden has been getting a lot of seat time this year, and we expect he should be able to drive his BMW to a podium finish."

Strategic Plan in place.

P.S. The boys will be at Sonoma for all three days of qualifying, starting Tuesday. Shad was uncharacteristically cavalier when he told me at NSXPO that they didn't need to waste 2 days at the "home track" when it would come down to the final Q session on Thursday. Guess he was high on exhaust fumes, because Kip is not taking any chances and says they'll be there playing coy and just doing what they have to do to be on the front row for hammer time on Saturday. He says 2nd is as good as pole because it's just a drag race up the hill to T-2 and whoever spools up faster will lead into T-3 and be away clean. The risk of being even on the 2nd row or farther back is you may not make it to T-3. I've witnessed and been in many a shemozzle in T-2 for race starts. I'll have my butt planted in the Turn 2 Earnhardt pavilion for that start.

As hinted at before, Kip and Shad have the horsepower, new bigger grip, and maybe some other tricks to win Touring 1. Never mind Sonoma being their "home track" relative to most other T-1 racers from around the country. But as Kip told me yesterday, "we're gonna stay UTR even though it's too late for SCCA to heap a bunch of weight on the car, which is already 3140#.

Racer Magazine did not mention Driving Ambition or another podium challenger, Charlie Hays. Charlie has a 400 HP turbo Miata, weighing in at around 2200#. And unlike some well funded but talent-short racers, Charlie knows how to drive, having won the 25 Hrs. of Thunderhill last year with Flying Lizard. Racer also missed mention of Mark Hoover, T-1 Regional champ.

Racer talks about 2016 at Mid-Ohio and how the favorite this year woulda walked away from it all then if not for a blown motor. If you recall Kip finished fourth in that race battling some serious issues with........what was it, gearing? I forget. Whatever it was, he was down at least 10 mph on the straight compared to the competition and shoulda ended up DFL and lapped with that kind of handicap. Suffice it to say, Shad has it dialed in at Sonoma.

Racer said this:

https://racer.com/2018/10/09/sportscar-magazine-predicts-the-scca-runoffs-touring-gt/

"Touring 1
Dare we say Touring 1 has become predictable? Aside from a blown engine removing any possibility of Andrew Aquilante winning in 2016, it’s been a long time since anyone else has challenged him for the win – and we expect his domination to continue at Sonoma Raceway. Arguably the biggest roadblock for Aquilante is a car change from his proven Mustang (which is being converted to GT-2 trim) to a Corvette.

That said, “The Corvette in general will be pretty strong at Sonoma,” he says. “That’s what we’re looking at, and we’ll go from there.”

Mark Boden has been getting a lot of seat time this year, and we expect he should be able to drive his BMW to a podium finish."

Strategic Plan in place.

P.S. The boys will be at Sonoma for all three days of qualifying, starting Tuesday. Shad was uncharacteristically cavalier when he told me at NSXPO that they didn't need to waste 2 days at the "home track" when it would come down to the final Q session on Thursday. Guess he was high on exhaust fumes, because Kip is not taking any chances and says they'll be there playing coy and just doing what they have to do to be on the front row for hammer time on Saturday. He says 2nd is as good as pole because it's just a drag race up the hill to T-2 and whoever spools up faster will lead into T-3 and be away clean. The risk of being even on the 2nd row or farther back is you may not make it to T-3. I've witnessed and been in many a shemozzle in T-2 for race starts. I'll have my butt planted in the Turn 2 Earnhardt pavilion for that start.
Thanks for posting updates. Is Driving Ambition on Instagram?

they are running behind schedule somewhat. No exact times but look for T-1 maybe around 3; just a guess.

Attachments

• runoffs sched..JPG
    runoffs sched..JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 349
Nice Q1 P1

Yeah not too bad all things considered. Like not getting a clear lap. And like Shad having to haul the beast 85 miles back to the shop & change the motor last nite. :eek: he was lucky to get 4 hrs sleep because he had to be back for Rylan in the S2000 first thing today. Kip broke valve spring retainers or some such gizmos leading to a couple bent rods. Not pretty. Pic is Shad “just checkin’” after today’s session

And now after breaking the equipment yesterday, Mr Fussbudget doesn’t like the front camber, it’s pushing & the cool guys are always loose. He actually didn’t say that but they’re going to add 2/10ths neg. camber in the front. Hope his wife thinks he’s sexy enough throwing it into the 7 & 11 hairpins & catching it like he’s on dirt.
:rolleyes:
But heading up Charlie Hays in his 4 wheeled crotch rocket by more than a second on a greasy track, is not too shabby.

But.........there’s always a but huh? This one is that the big dog Aquilante did not turn a wheel today. Fake news reporting clutch issues.

Ok all buttoned up tonite. What’re they gonna do tomorrow? Shave a full second off today’s 1.42.78? Undoubtedly. Fingers crossed &#55358;&#56606; the entire field watches their mirrors & no one does anything STUPID!!! Cause 49 is coming through &#55357;&#56883;&#55357;&#56883;

Attachments

• D9F5D7B3-9B66-4489-9A5D-94FEDD7970D3.jpg
    D9F5D7B3-9B66-4489-9A5D-94FEDD7970D3.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 343
  • F5B90DA5-96F6-43A7-8DD5-C98234808EB5.jpg
    F5B90DA5-96F6-43A7-8DD5-C98234808EB5.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Q2 subtract 3 sec.

Kip went out first in Q2 based on fast time yesterday in Q1. Posted a 1.39.7 on his first flying lap, parked it & watched Aquilante pound around for 6 more laps trying to improve on his 1.40 something. Guess the morning set up tweek on the scales worked. BTW they found the front toe way out whack.

Back