• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Knoxvegas' Overdue '91 Formula Red Build

Hello there Prime. I'm finally getting around to starting my build thread, albeit very late. Apologies for that, even though this build will likely do nothing a multitude of other builds haven't already done. That being said, here goes.

I purchased the car (documented in my intro thread here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/189595-New-Owner-1991-Formula-Red-Black-in-Southeast) in May 2015 in Cincinnati. I drove it as much as I could when I was home (I work out of state), and several months later I slipped down the slope and started buying parts. In reality, I had purchased 2 sets of period-correct BBS LM wheels before I even took delivery of the car. But we won't talk about that part.

Unfortunately, I didn't take as many photos as I meant to when installing parts. Mostly because I get excited like a little kid and just want to turn wrenches without the burden of documenting everything.

First order of business was getting back in touch with the guys at Source1 for a set of KW V3 coilovers and 2 pairs of 8k Swift springs. I also ordered a set of iLift top hats to replace the stock items.

When I ordered the suspension, I also ordered a some Hawk HP+ pads, Stoptech cryo-treated slotted rotors, a Uni foam filter, and a used DF intake scoop as well. The slope was rather slippery, as I mentioned before.

Uni filter went in easily enough, and the oiling process is pretty simple.

I pulled out some rubber covered metal coping and put it over the leading edge to finish it off and reduce the potential for hard edge on hard edge contact.

Also supplied by Source1 was this gorgeous piece of metalwork, a Pride V2 dual tip exhaust. I loved the sound I had heard in videos, and it definitely doesn't disappoint in person.

My car came with a longer Metra antenna, which worked fine but was a little too long for my taste. I ended up buying a 2" metal replacement from Blox. I don't like the logo, but I definitely like the size.

The beginning:

The comparison:

The final result:

I waited a little, and then ponied up the the bar at SoS. I ordered one of their Type S style shift knobs, a matching e-brake button, some DF FRP brake ducts, and a long Works Bell steering hub.

I also found a Spoon steering wheel here on Prime to tie the whole thing together.

While amassing parts, I took a drive with another NSX friend (shoutout to Rob Latham) and his group in early August with the Blue Ridge Gathering. Killboy got a really nice shot of my car on the Dragon that trip.

Next post to include large amounts of refinished LMs, more parts, and a trip to Cars and Coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't go into too much detail, but I had a very bad experience with a particular wheel shop in South Florida. I paid for a complete wheel refinish and reverse mount, but got shoddy work sent back from them twice. Very not cool.

My search for the perfect set of 17/18 LMs started when I stumbled upon OyATL's build thread during my early days on Prime. His setup was perfect to me in every way except one; the diameters. I wanted 17/18 to maintain a more period-correct look and to keep a more "performance" focus.

I originally bought a set of 4 17x8+45 and a set of 2 18x9+42 and 2 18x10+50 BBS LMs to make what is in my opinion the perfect set of LM sizes for this car. I had them reverse mounted during the refinishing process, and the new offsets ended up being about 17x8+31 front and 18x10+37 rear. Because of the pad thickness on the back of the 18s, I ended up using a 10mm H&R spacer for an effective offset of 18x10+27 rear.

After that debacle, I went back to another shop I had heard about from a local Knoxville BMW shop. Renewed Finishes in Pennsylvania did a killer job fixing all of the problems the first shop created, and is the true embodiment of professionalism and high quality work for a good price. I would not hesitate to use them for every set of wheels I ever have.

I used a BMW silver for the centers, had the lips polished, the barrels coated in a light grey, and the bolts coated a flat black.

Next came the meaty parts. Enter the 215/40-17 and 265/35-18 Dunlop Z2 Star Spec tires. Installed on the wheels with original center caps and new valve stems and hubcentric rings from BBS.

I installed all the parts I had accumulated, and then bought some more. I ordered a '97+ front lip so I could preserve the stock '91 flat lip and installed it. I also ordered some Cedar Ridge sway bar end links for my alignment guy to use during the setup trip I made in late October. Shout out to my local shop away from home Keisler Automation and the owner/operator Andrew Keisler.

Once she was all prepped for her coming out party, I unveiled all my hard work and empty wallet at the October 2015 Cars and Coffee in Knoxville, TN. Got some love on Facebook from local guys (and all from the same angle, haha), but no big photos from the organizers because I parked in the boonies.

Next update will include a rainy yet still awesome mountain trip with TougeFest in November 2015, and a time warp that sends us to sometime in February for the steering wheel install.

- - - Updated - - -

The next time I was home for a weekend, my wife and I went to the 2nd annual TougeFest based at Fontana Village outside Robbinsville, NC for a weekend of cars and camaraderie of new friends. The only bad part was the weather. Too much rain. But much fun was still had by all.

This was a great little Willows cabin at Fontana Village.

We made a long loop to visit some waterfalls and a little piece of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We traveled into the Pisgah National Forest, ate a great BBQ lunch at Highlands BBQ Company in Highlands, NC, and chased a newer Mustang for no reason. I can’t find the damn photos of the car under Bridal Veil Falls though.

Blue Ridge Parkway:

Mustang chasing:

Breakfast at the lodge before heading out Sunday:

Being chased on the Sunday drive out to the Cherohala Skyway:

Before I put her up for the winter, she needed a bath and a detail. Shout out to the amazing crew at Knox Details in Knoxville. Tim always does a great job for me, and this time was no different.

Enter old man Winter. Hibernation begins. Until an abnormally warm February day lights a fire under my butt and I get back to the garage to finally install my steering wheel.

Remember that SoS shift knob and e-brake button I mentioned? Well here they are for your viewing pleasure, along with my freshly installed Spoon wheel.

Next update includes a great test and tune day on the Dragon to welcome the impending arrival of Spring, and some love from Killboy, King of the Mountain, and others.

- - - Updated - - -

The next chance I got I took the car up to the Foothills Parkway and the Dragon to get some miles on the massaged front fender liners to eliminate the high load rubbing I encountered on the last trip up there. No rubbing this time; success!

Killboy got some great photos of my comings and goings on the Dragon.

I took a few myself at an overlook on the Foothills Parkway on the way back home. I love that view.

I even made it onto the weekly highlight reel that Killboy posts to Facebook! Big surprise to me!

That photo got some sharing on the NSX Prime and NSX Owners Group Facebook pages. Thanks for the support everybody!

Stay tuned for more updates, as myself and Rob are headed to the Riverside Spring meet next weekend, and my wife and I are headed up to the Dragon again in late April for the S2ki.com Wake the Dragon event. I’m also hoping to find time to get a few more parts ordered and try for an HPDE event in the Summer. Thanks for following along!

Last edited:
I'll be the first one to say, those wheels look amazing on your car!

Thanks! I hope so. They were a pain in the ass to get done, but I am very happy with the result!

Very nice! I'll look forward to seeing it up close once I'm back in the area later this year.

Thanks Richard! I look forward to it! Hopefully you can teach me how to drive this thing to where I'm not super slow. Haha.

looking good! needing a shorty antenna myself.
BBS's look great

Thanks! I was able to pick up a Guppy Attack secondhand from Prime that I plan to swap in when I have time. The Metra is nice though, especially with the shorter Blox mast.

BBS on NSX is :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

BBS LM's are perfect on a NSX. Beautiful.

Thanks! I totally agree. NSX + LMs = Win.

Thanks so much for all the love guys. It really is very appreciated.

Awesome thread John! Your attention to detail and patience on getting the wheels right really shows. They are a perfect fit in every way for the car.

I'm glad I got to see it all stock... I'm really looking forward to Saturday! Wish we had some time to go driving but making some folks drool over a couple of badass NSXs will have to do :D

Awesome thread John! Your attention to detail and patience on getting the wheels right really shows. They are a perfect fit in every way for the car.

Thanks Rob! I definitely appreciated your information about your setup to help me figure mine out. I only wish I had the same attention to detail and patience on documenting the build. I guess I will from here on out. :encouragement:

I'm glad I got to see it all stock... I'm really looking forward to Saturday! Wish we had some time to go driving but making some folks drool over a couple of badass NSXs will have to do :D

Me too! I'm not sure I can call my NSX badass next to a turbo monster, but I'll take the compliment. Haha.

I keep telling you and Dani to get your butts up to TN for driving, but noooooo. :smug:

Nice!

Who was the shop in Florida? I live in Florida and want to make sure to avoid them!

The shop is called Spintech.

Centers had drips. Coated barrels had jagged and chipping mask lines. Hardware was chipped. They also charged me double what Renewed Finishes did, and didn't even do half as good a job.

Avoid at all costs.

Last edited:
The shop is called Spintech.

Centers had drips. Coated barrels had jagged and chipping mask lines. Hardware was chipped. They also charged me double what Renewed Finishes did, and didn't even do half as good a job.

Avoid at all costs.

Oh ok I have heard of them! Glad I didn't use them! Had a buddy go to their shop and they said it was a joke.

Oh ok I have heard of them! Glad I didn't use them! Had a buddy go to their shop and they said it was a joke.

Yeah. I should have listened to my gut. The shop owner I bought the 17's from recommended Spintech, but they definitely weren't professional nor were they up to the standards I would expect.

I will forever send coating work to Renewed Finishes. They are rock stars and Dave is a perfectionist like me. I can't recommend them enough.

Stay tuned for more updates, as myself and Rob are headed to the Riverside Spring meet next weekend...

Well, got bad news about this part. Unfortunately, the husband of a long time friend of the family passed last week and the funeral was this weekend. It was a bummer to miss the show, but I was glad we got to be there and attend the service. Rob still went, and I hope to make it to the next Riverside meet.

John, sorry to hear about your friend's husband...

Subscribed. The photos of the exhaust are pure art! Wish you had this back when you were in Pittsburgh! Looking forward to updates.

I am having the hardest time with my Blitz wheels. The wheel shop I am using has been great but because of the limited amount of re-chromers available they deal with a shop in California. These are the Blitz Type 03 wheels which I think are beautiful wheels. When they came back the shop did not like three of them and sent them back. The centers were powder coated as well. I have been waiting since December.

When they started to assemble the first wheel the bolts started to break. They were able to track down new bolts that were the correct size and one of the wheels is back together. I think it was worth the wait although I am banging my head against the wall since I can not drive the car. I do not have half he imagination or means of the extraordinary group on NSX Prime. I have been so impressed with what you have done with your cars and your abilities, patience and attention to detail. My car is no slouch though being that I have 28,000 miles on my 91, which is car 207.

During my winter down time I put in fog lights, LED headlights, brakes/rotors and did many little projects. I also made new centers for the wheels since there are not Acura centers that will fit these wheels.

BEFORE:

attachment.php

AFTER

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/3de46631/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

John, sorry to hear about your friend's husband...

Subscribed. The photos of the exhaust are pure art! Wish you had this back when you were in Pittsburgh! Looking forward to updates.

Thanks Andy! I wish the same thing. I'm glad I even have it at all!

Thanks!

Awesome! Looking to set mine up very similarly.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment! If you have any questions about my car, feel free to ask.

I am having the hardest time with my Blitz wheels. The wheel shop I am using has been great but because of the limited amount of re-chromers available they deal with a shop in California. These are the Blitz Type 03 wheels which I think are beautiful wheels. When they came back the shop did not like three of them and sent them back. The centers were powder coated as well. I have been waiting since December.

Sorry you had issues with your wheels, but it looks like they came out really nice. Digging the center caps too. I know how hard it is to have to be patient, but I promise it's worth the wait!

Sounds like you have a great example of a car to tinker with as well.

Thanks

I just got a tracking number and the wheels are now headed back from CA. Hope to be back on the road by the weekend. I will post some pics.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/db17b7d9/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Update time!

I found the picture of the car under Bridal Veil Falls (thanks to my wife), so here it is!

So this past weekend my wife and I participated in a Cars and Coffee/Poker Run put on by a local Knoxville euro shop call European Auto Garage. They did the C&C at a local movie theater, which was a nice change from using their tiny shop parking lot like they normally do. The weather was epic, and the free waffles they had for breakfast were too.

Morning light was a little harsh. The 911 next to me is a neat car; powered by a Chevy LS V8.

Overview of the whole C&C.

The Poker Run took us from the movie theater down I-75 a little bit, taking TN-72E to TN-360S toward the Cherohala Skyway, through the Tail of the Dragon, and back into Maryville via the Foothills Parkway. About 186 miles of amazing pavement and great weather.

We got followed on TN-360 by a WRX/STi wagon and a Miata, and stopped for the best little gut bomb at Tellico Beach Drive-In. If you ever get hungry on the TN side of Cherohala, bring some cash (only cash) and stop in for a bite next to the river.

Sadly we didn't get any pictures of this part, but we caught up to a group of Poker Run cars on the TN climb on Cherohala, and followed an M4 vert, some modern Camaro SS, and a 1972 Camaro, and some others where we proceeded to make the fastest trip up and over my wife and I have ever done.

This time 129Slayer put me on their weekly highlight list from the Dragon.

Once we crossed the Dragon, we stopped off at the paved lot off US-129 overlooking the lake to stretch our legs and take some photos.

All in all it was a great day, and I can't wait until I can stretch her legs again at the S2ki.com Wake the Dragon event in a couple weeks!

Last edited:
The wheels are final back and on the NSX. They are truly remarkable. Here are some pics.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/477c2ffa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

S2ki.com Wake the Dragon 2016

I'm back (late again) with more event photos and no build info. I guess that's a good thing for my wallet.

My wife and I had a great time crashing the S2000 party at the S2ki.com Wake the Dragon 2016 event over the 4/22-4/24 weekend. This year the home base was at Tapoco Lodge, just down the road from the NC end of the Dragon. My wife and I have wanted to stay there forever, and we were lucky to get a waiting list call the week of the event. Beautiful room, great bed, awesome food. If you're ever in the area, it's a great place to totally disconnect from the world.

On the trip out there Friday afternoon we rolled over to 90k miles. I stopped in the middle of the road to get the picture. No shame.

The event itself was great. Met some new friends (both local and not, and NSX-owner and not) and had some great driving weather. As I said, the location was amazing. My wife and I stop there often to eat when we're driving in the area, and their pizza is wonderful. So good that both New Yorkers and Chicagoans both agreed it was great.

The covered parking is great, but you gotta be quick!

I was lucky to park next to some great company! Glad I got to meet you @<a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/member.php?u=31516" target="_blank">2NDWIFE</a>!

Double trouble.

We woke up Saturday morning ready for the rollout and Dragon Run.

I haven't gone through the photo sites for the 3 local photographers yet, so I stole these from one of the S2k guys. The first one is climbing the hill before you get to Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort.

Just creepin'.

Here's my video of the morning run. Wife took it on her cellphone. Sorry for the slow driving. Car's fast; I'm not.

The beginning of the lineup. Maybe half the cars.

The group. Awesome people. Everyone I spoke to was very nice and friendly.

Watch out for the bears!

As always, we were very sad to leave both the mountains and the group. But we had a blast and will definitely be attending more S2ki.com events!

Next time I'll be back with some JDM smoked tail lights and an NA1 NSX-R center garnish to match. Also looking toward NSX-R/Zanardi sway bars and maybe some braces. We shall see. Mostly I just want to keep driving!

Back