• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KONI Challenge at VIR 10-4

VIR is soliciting car clubs to come to the KONI Challenge race and get discounted tickets, parking, parade laps, etc. I will be there. Anyone else also planning to take the NSX? I will check with VIR to see how many it takes to qualify.

Here is the link as to what is going on that weekend - http://www.virnow.com/2009-event-details/bosch-octoberfest-2009.html

Are you planning for the whole weekend or just Sunday? Prices?

I am planning to be there the whole weekend. My son is crew chief for the Cardiosport 911 so I will be there anyway. If I get a couple of responses, I will check with VIR and find out what the deal is. A regular 3-day pass is $40 in advance and $50 at the gate.

The code to use when you buy tickets is KCNSX09. This gives you a 3-day ticket for $30 instead of $40. This makes a 3-day ticket only $5 more than a Sunday advance ticket and cheaper than a Sunday gate ticket.

We need 10 sold under this code to get free hats, lunch, parking, parade laps, etc, but Josh said he would work with me on parking and parade laps at least. I will be buying 2 so that is a start.

Ticket order from is here: http://www.virnow.com/buy-tickets.html

Any questions, post here or send me email at ogburn [at] gmail [dot] com.

Last edited:
If we get 10 tickets sold under the KCNSX09 code, then we definitely get to do parade laps around the track, along with free lunch and hats. (We will get corral parking regardless of the number sold.) Less than 10, Josh said he would work with me on the parade laps. I have known him for a long time, so I think our chances are good. I am buying 3 tickets, so that only leads 7 to go. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer.

I will be there driving the #61 ROUSH/Valvoline Ford Mustang (red).

Stop by and say hi!

-Billy

Any NSXs other than me planning to be there?

There is still a couple of days for cheap tickets. The code to use when you buy tickets is KCNSX09. This gives you a 3-day ticket for $30 instead of $40. This makes a 3-day ticket only $5 more than a Sunday advance ticket and cheaper than a Sunday gate ticket.

What if I could only make it down for Sunday - and I wanted to get on the track. Possible? Cost?

The discount only applies to the 3-day pass. As noted earlier, it makes it cheaper than a Sunday gate pass, but a Sunday-only advance ticket is still a little cheaper. Advance sales close 9-30 at 5.

I would say chances of parade laps aren't very good as they are for car groups with 10 or more cars. I know Josh would work with me, but I am the only confirmed NSX. That isn't even close.

I fly out Thursday for VIR.

Be sure to stop by and say hi!

61car.jpg

Billy Johnson & Jack Roush Jr:
HS6R5287.jpg

I did go to VIR on Sunday. The weather was great and the car corral was full of Porsches, MINIs, Miatas, and Mazdas, plus one NSX. I did get 2 parade laps with the Miata club!

The race was interesting, with Billy in 2nd for a good bit of the race. This picture shows him in 2nd entering turn 2 of the final lap.

3982683802_361c23c0a7.jpg

There was contact later on the final lap. Billy lost one spot to 3rd and then after the race was penalized down to 9th based on what I read on teh Grand-Am site. I'll let him explain if he wants to. I did not see it.

Other pictures from the race are here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ogburn/sets/72157622518070770/

Most are of Billy's #61 Mustang and the #22 Civic from HART, a Honda employee team that my son participates in.

It was also intersting to see a Camaro back in racing form against Mustangs like back in Trans-Am days. This was the Camaro's first race. It did well until it lost its clutch. It was in Sunoco livery. The drivers were the sons of the guys who drove the Sunoco Camaro Trans-Am car.

3982656070_2515f49a99.jpg

I went by Billy's paddock a couple of times before the race, but did not see him. His team was busy getting ready.

Back