• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Koni vs Bilstein

I need to get new shocks and was thinking about the koni or bilstein. Some people have said the koni shocks are better while others said the bilstein are better. I was just wondering if people who have these shocks could share their experience with them. A shop i called said they could get the bilstein shocks for $120--$125 is this a good price or could they do better?

I have been running Bilstein shocks with Eibach sport springs with Dali track bars on my '94 coupe for about six months now. I have run this setup during two track events at Sebring now and love the feel. The car is very solid in both low and high speed turns. The adjustable swaybars allow tuning of the suspension. Street driving is fine as well...none of the harshness that I was afraid of before making the mods. You do notice the car is alot stiffer...but the ride is plenty comfortable around town as well as on longer road trips. As far as the pricing goes...Dali's always good on their prices...$530 for a set on their website...you've got a quote for $100-125/shock...you're doing well.

For more on this subject try reading the FAQ in this site, but I think my choice would be (and will be) the Bilsteins. They will accept your stock springs, which are pretty decent in my opinion, and are height adjustable. A pretty nice solution for a reasonable price.

When you're finished with the installation and log a few miles, please post your opinions about this setup. As I mentioned, I'm considering the same thing.

I like the idea of the bilstein w/stock springs, with the ability to set the ride height and keeping the more compliant spring rate.

Can someone explain how the adjustment is accomplished? Are the springs installed pre-loaded to give the lower ride height? or is there some other adjustment mechanizm to do this? can the ride height be adjusted while installed on the vehicle? or do the shocks and springs need to be removed to adjust?

------------------
johne
1992 NSX Blk/Blk
1995 NSX-T Blk/Blk

You say one grove for stock height and one for lower? How much lower can I expect if I use the lower setting? as I think the car looks great when dropped about 1.5"

If it only drops it 1/2" then I'll probably go with the H&R springs for the full 1.5" drop.

------------------
johne
1992 NSX Blk/Blk
1995 NSX-T Blk/Blk

I have RM Racing's springs that lower the car 1.25" and Koni sport adjustable shocks. The car looks great with the lowered stance and the Koni's are adjusted with the simple turn of a knob from soft to firm. I run mine at 1 turn from soft and the ride is firm and it corners like it's on rails. The Koni's can be adjusted to your liking without having to remove anything.

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Brad, I have my koni's the same setup. Front are 1 turns from soft and rear full stiff. However, I'm running H&R springs with Dali race bars on midle settings.

Andrie, I have my Comptech bars set at the middle setting but I haven't tried full stiff on the rear Koni's, does it give a real hard ride in the rear.

Brad, I dunno what the spring rate for the RM, but the Dali race bars are the same as the comptech. I wanted to set the bars in full stiff. But the rear is impossible to do so. On of the connections are to close to the connecting rod of the toe adjustment. (Still tryin to resolve this problem with Mark Johnson) With the koni the way I mentioned right now, the car slightly oversteer. Which is perfect for track driving (Ask the people in thunderhill northwest after labor day event
wink.gif
). It handles awesome. It does give the ride very stiff for street driving. But I love taking the on ramp hard, so I'm happy
smile.gif

BERKELEYBRUIN,

I CURRENTLY HAVE KONI YELLOW SPORTS, H&R SPRINGS, AND DALI RACE SWAY BARS. YOU CAN DEFINATELY TELL THE DIFFERENCE. THIS SETUP IMO, IS AWESOME. WHETHER YOU GO WITH KONI'S OR BILESTEIN. BOTH SHOCKS ARE GREAT. THE KONI GIVES YOU THE ADVANTAGE TO SET THE SHOCKS STIFFER IF NEED BE. I HAVE MY FRONT KONI'S TURNED ONE FULL, AND THE REAR ONE AND HALF. MY SWAYBARS ARE IN THE THIRD HOLE FROM THE FRONT. THIS SET UP BRINGS THE REAR OF THE CAR AROUND ALOT QUICKER, WITHOUT GIVEING YOU THAT ABNOXCIOUS UNDERSTEER PROBLEM THAT THE STOCK NSX ENCOUNTERS.
Originally posted by BerkeleyBruin:
Anyone knows if Bilstein/Eibach/race swaybar from Dali Racing is a good setup? I don't track the car so I don't want a harsh ride. Or is there an another better setup? Thanks in advance!

Berkeley Bruin-
I happen to be running the exact setup you inquired about...Dali Track Bars, Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. I really like the setup. I've had it for six months now and have run this setup on the track for three events. According to Mark Johnson, the Bilstein shocks are "self adjusting" meaning that they adjust themselves on the fly based on the loading forces they are experiencing. They are single tube style shocks which is exactly what the Indy and F-1 teams run. I run 2 degrees negative camber on the rear and about .75 degrees negative up front. I have my rear sway bar set one step looser than the oem geometry. With this setup the car's balance is slightly loose rather than having the push I had to live with prior to the suspension mods. FYI, I run Bridgestone SO-2's 215/40/17front and 285/30/18rear. My next set of fronts I'll probably go up to a 225 or 235/40/17. As for ride harshness...that's a concern I had prior to the install. It was unfounded. The car is very streetable and the ride is very civilized when I want it to be. <Hardly ever!>Hope this info helps!

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 13 September 2000).]

Back