• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LA/OC: Where to go for paint chip/scratch repair/high speed buffing?

Guys,

My NSX has some small rock chips and scratches as well as some swirl marks. The paint is original and I doubt it's ever been machine buffed.

Within the past month and a half of ownership, I've done the 90k/tb/wp (even though at 68k miles it's already had the 60k service - just wanted to be sure it ran perfect) and purchased HID's, subwoofer (soon), and short shifter, all from Prime members/Vendors of course. I've also updated to '97 wheels, also purchased from another Prime member.

Now I'd like to have the paint polished and have some of the imperfections removed. I've searched, and the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for is in San Diego from a post a couple years ago: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3412

I've tried on previous cars to apply touch up paint, and it never comes out quite the way I planned. I figure it's better for me to leave it to a professional.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop or professional who does good touch up work and/or buffing? And what's an approximate price for such a service?

Thank you in advance for any help - it's much appreciated!

Mike

btw - though being a Prime member is great for finding bargain NSX goodies, the net result is buying a whole lot of 'em! :frown: :biggrin:

Mike -

As you may recall from me dealing with that damned rock chip on my paint, I've done a lot of research in this area in the last few months and I'm happy to condense down all my due diligence if you're interested.

I'm not sure I can help you with the touch up paint work although I have a name and number I can give you. He specializes in work that is probably more difficult than touching up small chips (which is what you seem to be talking about). If you're interested, let me know.

I also have two detailers that I can recommend. One I've used on several of my cars (and other family member cars) and he does very good work at reasonable prices. The other is a lot more expensive but does absolutely stellar work.

PM me if you're interested. I'll be glad to give you the 411.

Mike..............

My Dad is coming back out the 2nd week in August. I pleaded with my Daddio to do your car on Sunday, but he said he was too worn out and tired from working the high speed buffer till muscle failure the day before on my car (Total of 8 hours of intense buffing with various wheels/compounds) and he was also completely out of compound and was in need of a new cutter pad. I doubt you would find anyone else in the world that could work the paint like him. You have to see the finish on my car to understand (not one single hair line scratch or swirl on my 92 black car). Note, not much my Dad can do per the chips in the paint. For the buff job, he usually charges $600 for buffing alone (He will do yours for nothing since he let you down Sunday). I am in New Orleans auditing a motion picture (Failure to Launch), but will be back on Friday....Give me a ring.

Christian - Great talking to you this morning. Thanks for the recommendations!

Danny - I figured your pops was tired after the long drive and working on your car. Hope I can take advantage of his services if he's around next month. I'll call you on Friday - we're going out this weekend!

Back